Firefox compatibility issue with Facebook

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox compatibility issue with Facebook

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Doh, you beat me to it Dan. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

Oh, yes ... the view page style advice. Nope. That's not it!

Here's a picture of the problem:

KateBB

Post by KateBB »

Oh, sure, it works fine in Safe Mode -- but then you lose AdBlock and the other ad-ons, right? Firefox is worthless to me without ad-ons. I don't understand this type of advice. Late last week, for no reason that any user c anfigure out, FB and Firefox developed a serious compatibility problem. It is not a page style issue, it is not a zooming issue, there seems to be something wrong with the code. ](*,)
KateBB

Post by KateBB »

After many days of searching for help with this issue, and getting nowhere, I have now switched to Google Chrome. Easy peasy. Everything is A-OK -- and with AdBlock Plus besides. Farewell, sweet little red foxy.
patrickjdempsey

If it works in Safe Mode then one of your add-ons was causing the problem. That's what Safe-Mode tells you. In a few minutes you could have figured out which ONE of the add-ons was causing the problem, and disabled it or changed the settings and fixed your problem. Then you could have informed us and emailed the author of the add-on and actually helped hundreds or thousands of other users having the same problem. But I guess you found your solution.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Mischief

Post by Mischief »

KateBB wrote:Oh, sure, it works fine in Safe Mode -- but then you lose AdBlock and the other ad-ons, right? Firefox is worthless to me without ad-ons. I don't understand this type of advice. Late last week, for no reason that any user c anfigure out, FB and Firefox developed a serious compatibility problem. It is not a page style issue, it is not a zooming issue, there seems to be something wrong with the code. ](*,)

Yea, works okay in Safe Mode. Now to figure out what exactly causes the problem. I had Adblock disabled before and the Facebook page still would not correct itself, so I know it isn't that. I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out what else it could be. I don't have other add-ons except for Adblock.
Mischief

Post by Mischief »

Safe Mode instructions say this: "...all added extensions are disabled, the default theme is used, and default localstore settings (toolbar settings and controls) are used. Starting in Firefox 3.5, the new Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is also disabled. Starting in Firefox 3.6, any changes made via userContent.css and userChrome.css are disabled in Safe Mode. In Firefox 4 and above, hardware acceleration"

Since I have no added extensions, I'm really not sure where the problem lies? ](*,)
patrickjdempsey

Try this: Go to Options > Advanced > General: Browser > uncheck Use Hardware Acceleration.

Do you have any userContent.css hacks?
Mischief

Post by Mischief »

Hi, Patrick, I disabled Hardware Acceleration as you suggested, rebooted Firefox, but it did not solve the issue. I don't know how to find out the other thing you mentioned, about the .css hacks?
lmansell

Post by lmansell »

okay i just read, PATRICKJDEMPSY.....post did what he said to do...my problem is fixed...THANK YOU SO MUCH...
Mischief2

Post by Mischief2 »

I just fixed my own problem. Thank you to everyone who tried to help.
Don't ask me why this worked, lol, but I went to all my Plug-ins listed under the TOOLS section
(Adobe Acrobat, MS Office, etc...) and disabled them all. Facebook then loaded okay. So I went back to TOOLS and then ENABLED each one again. Facebook is still okay. So even though the Plug-ins are just as they were at the start of the problem, for some reason "disabling" and then re-enabling them fixed the problem. Weird. :D
Le loir

Post by Le loir »

Hi!
Add-on Informenter has been reported as a possible reason of this problem with Facebook pages. Have a look at a solution on comment from "crd3000" on September 3rd.
patrickjdempsey

@Imansell, which specific thing worked for you? it might help others to know.

@Mischief, we've run into cases before where disabling and then re-enabling plugins randomly fixes issues... I'm not exactly sure why but I'm glad you fixed your issue.
lmansell

Post by lmansell »

okay update on my problem,,earlier before i read, PATRICKS...post i went looking for add on that might help me fix problem,,i downloaded, THE ULTIMATE FACEBOOK ENHANCER..then after that is when i read ,PATRICK'S post..did what he suggested refreshed my page ..page was fixed,,but then i had problem.. with box coming up saying script is not responding my fb page locked up..went and uninstalled ,THE ULTIMATE ENHANCER,,refreshed my page,,then it went back to my original problem,,went and reinstalled THE U.F.ENHANCER,,problem fixed,,went back and rechecked,USE HARDWARE ACC.,REFRESHED MY FB PAGE.. PAGE IS STILL FIXED...DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS ANYONE ELSE....but may want to try..good luck to everyone,,i know this problem has pretty much consumed my whole afternoon and into wee hours of morning...
patrickjdempsey

A word of advice, I honestly wouldn't trust too many extensions that modify Facebook because the developers of Facebook basically redesign parts of the pages on a weekly if not daily basis. It would be absolutely impossible for anyone to keep up with that pace.