Thunderbird gets stuck sending mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AcerKev

Thunderbird gets stuck sending mail

Post by AcerKev »

On a number of occassions when i have been trying to send mail from either my Local Folder (Yahoo! Pop 3) account or my 1&1 IMAP accounts Thunderbird just gets stuck sending the messages - i all cases this is because my wifi connection has dropped too low.

However when the connection returns the mails still sit there with the progress bar running, hitting cancel closes the progress box, yet i am unable to send or save the message (the options are there but do sod all), the only option is to close Thunderbird after copying the messages to notepad then start all over again.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you get round it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041110 Firefox/1.0
Mozilla Tunderbird version 1.0 (20041206)

Post by Guest »

If your connection is unreliable, try the "offline" feature ....

You can access it using File>Offline>Work_Offline or the small snake-like icon on the bottom left of the status bar. One offline, any mails go to the "unsent messages" folder and the "Send" button is replaced by a "Send Later" button while composing.

When your connection is stable, use the same menu option / icon to go back online and TB will send the messages across.

Im not sure but Im also guessing / hoping that in such a setup even if the connection drops, the message will still be in the unsent messages area for a retry to send later....

HTH....
SS
AcerKev

Post by AcerKev »

Anonymous wrote:If your connection is unreliable, try the "offline" feature ....

You can access it using File>Offline>Work_Offline or the small snake-like icon on the bottom left of the status bar. One offline, any mails go to the "unsent messages" folder and the "Send" button is replaced by a "Send Later" button while composing.

When your connection is stable, use the same menu option / icon to go back online and TB will send the messages across.

Im not sure but Im also guessing / hoping that in such a setup even if the connection drops, the message will still be in the unsent messages area for a retry to send later....

HTH....
SS

Thats rather annoying having to do that every time i send a message - i'm only 1 meter from the access point but the signal is absoluty shot to pieces by the wall.

Ideally on clicking send all mails would be copied to LOCAL FOLDERS or someother place (All outgoing) and then sentvia SMTP and copied to the relevent IMAP 4 box.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041110 Firefox/1.0
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Hi AcerKev,

I have a similar problem which may be related to a timeout. When I leave TBird open for a long time but idle, when I come back to it, I can't send mail. I just get the progress bar. In my case the status bar says "Connecting to <my mail server>...".

Sorry no solution, just confirming that it appears to be an issue.

Cheers,

Cliff
AcerKev

Post by AcerKev »

Enkidu, thats the same place it gets stuck on mine.
AcerKev

Post by AcerKev »

Mines still doing it, even when in the same room as the access point, with a 54MBS connection, which is streaming a web radio stream just fine (96kbps stream on a 512kbps ADSL connection)

This is where it sticks
http://homepages.tesco.net/kev.swindells/tbsending.jpg

Been there 10 minutes now :(

Only ever happens on IMAP4 accounts, never with POP3. My IMAP providor is OneAndOne.

(The final release of 1.0 still doesn;t allow you to resend or save it after clicking cancel)