what the heck is superfish??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
franny195

Re: what the heck is superfish??

Post by franny195 »

Go to tools in firefox, IE tab plus options, deselect, "support price comparison", apply and close. It should stop superfish.
franny195

Post by franny195 »

I think some that suggest superfish or surf canyon do not install anything unless you agree is complete nonsense. I think the work for these scam sites and trying to pull your leg. I searched all of my computer and didnot find either one of them anywhere. I never allowed anyone to install themselves unless i researched what or who they are and what good they do to me. But nevertheless I got this vicious software interfering with my search on every shopping site I was on. God knows what information they got. Imagine they are on the sites where you buy stuff and enter you passwords, credit card numbers, your address and phone numbers etc. Scary uh!!!. If this company is legitimate why dont they show up in you programs as superfish since their address is superfish.com? Why is there no easy way to uninstall this like real programs? Sorry but I think these scams need to be stopped and rooted out. Superfish: If you are legitimate show up on our computer as one! Dont sneakup and install your scamware in our computers. Please...

Post by Guest »

Super fish has mailicis software that does that [-X :arrow:
bethel95

Post by bethel95 »

Superfish is also in the recent version(s) of the FasterFox extension. It's easy enough to turn off in FasterFox options.

When I first tried it, it looked like it might be helpful--then I realized that it was just using pattern matching for the product picture, leading to some hilarious results. Finally, it became less funny when I realized just how ubiquitous and naggy it was going to be. I'm glad to be rid of it.
marciejs

Post by marciejs »

This url has started showing up on every page I navigate to.
example: when going to my google mail account in loading the google page it also shows the http://www.superfish.com page loading.

This happens on every page I go to lately and since it started Firefox keeps freezing up.
I had to stop using Firefox and go to Chrome

Thanks so much for your help #-o
tk3wheeler

Post by tk3wheeler »

adblock shoes superfish as a fasterfox script. I blocked it with adblock, and uninstalled fasterfox. I haven't seen it come up again.
marcie

Post by marcie »

ok thanks tk
marcie jean
tonymoebius

Post by tonymoebius »

I found it hiding in an extension called PageTweak.
stephanie7777

Post by stephanie7777 »

Thank you sooooo much for your comments on this - I opened up IE this morning and that crazy super fish shopper was driving me nuts! At first i just thought that it was the lowes site, but then it was doing it on amazon and e-bay, i was ready to kill it.
It did take me a little while to find where to disable it - so in "computer simple terms" - on my browser it was

tools, to internet options, programs tab, manage add-ons button, and there pops up superfish window shopper

this some how installed it self along with an update from somewhere, i havent downloaded anything so i have no idea where it came from.

thanks again for the posts!
RabbitSecurity

Post by RabbitSecurity »

supderfish is now also present in Calculator 1.1.22. extension...
dracodoc

Post by dracodoc »

I found this too.

It seemed that many extension can have this, and it's impossible to list all of them.

Here is a method to find which extension carried superfish:

I found the superfish popup in amazon pages, so when this popup is present, click adblock plus to "open blockable items"
then input "superfish" in search
I saw

http://www.superfish.com/ws/sf_main.jsp ... calculator

so I knew it came from calculator.

I believe this method will works on other cases.

RabbitSecurity wrote:supderfish is now also present in Calculator 1.1.22. extension...
david gunter

Post by david gunter »

Jack_Flash1947

Post by Jack_Flash1947 »

I found today that the FF addon "Calc" has Superfish in it. I disabled & then removed Calc. Superfish is gone. I was seeing it load when I started FF. That's what got me to looking for the source.

I found it by renaming the FF that I was using. Then downloaded a fresh version of FF & installed it. I'd made a list of addons that was in my old version. After I installed Calc it popped up saying that it was using SF.

I then renamed my folders back the their original names, started FF, removed Calc. Shut FF down then restarted. SF was lot loaded when FF started & I haven't seen any of those pesky similar items that WERE NOT very similar.

Jack.....

Post by Guest »

A few days ago I noticed that superfish.com com was being loaded when I started FireFox. I looked around the net some were saying the uninstall Window Shopper via the control panel. Well WS wasn't in my control panel.

I decided to see where it really was. I wrote down all of the addons that I had installed. I renamed the FireFox folder to FF-old both in the Documents & Settings, Administrator, Application Data, Mozilla folder and the Program Files, FireFox.

I did a fresh install of FF. I then started adding on the addons, one at a time then completely shutdown FF between each addon install. I then started FF watching in the lower left corner of FF to see what it was loading. Everything was going fine until I installed "Calculator 1.1.22". When I installed it another page popped up when I started FF saying that I had installed SF with this addon. I love this addon. But......it HAD TO GO. SF would popup "similar items" which was a PITA. Most of the 'items' weren't even close to what I was looking for.

So I renamed the above mentioned folders back tho their original names & started FF. I went in and REMOVED Calculator, shutdown FF & then restarted. Superfish.com was NOT loaded this time.

I recommend not running the Calculator addon.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Guest

interesting that the addon author admits it, too! take a look at the addon page here ...
Calculator

if you haven't done so already, i recommend you go and rate it a ONE. too bad you can't rate it with a negative 99 ...

take care,
lee

ps-
i see that you already DID comment & rate it. [*grin*] kool, dude!
lee-