address book export

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Heron

address book export

Post by Heron »

hello everybody,

this is my first time here in the forum. Unfortunately I have to start with a little problem which puzzles me a bit.
After having installed Mozilla Suite 1.7.5 everything is running fine, but when I try to export my address book from the mail and newsgroup application I always get the message:
"not enough arguments [nsIAddress.exportAddressBook]" (Import facility works without problems!).
Can anyone give me an advice how to fix that?

Heron
rahl

Post by rahl »

The same thing happened to me.
Benedictus

me too

Post by Benedictus »

The same happened to me too
Heron

Post by Heron »

Well, in the meantime I have done some searching and found out that this problem has been reported repeatedly:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... d5f8bb25bd

And, although the bug has been reported to bugzilla the new download file of mozilla suite 1.7.5 still contains it.
Can someone tell me how to fix it?
Heron

Post by Heron »

Furthermore, my detective work has revealed that this bug has been reported to bugzilla already, and that even a patch has been created:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=169704

So, how can I download and install that patch to remedy the problem?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Do this at your own risk, and make a back-up copy of the jar file first!
You don't really download or install it; you have to manually edit the file yourself.
The file in question, addressbook.js, is located in the mozilla program: specifically, mozilla\chrome\messenger.jar\content\messenger\addressbook\addressbook.js

You'll need to save the patch (for reference - it's just a text file telling you what to do; open with notepad or whatever) and close Mozilla completely.
Then, find the messenger.jar. (This is where you need to make a backup copy in case of mistakes!)
If you have <a href="http://www.7-zip.org/">7-zip</a> or Izarch (among others) you can work on the files inside directly - very convenient. (Otherwise, you have to unpack the jar by renaming it to a zip file, and then unzipping. After you edit the addressbook.js, rezip, and rename to a jar.)
If for some reason it doesn't work, then replace it with the original copy.

Now, actually applying the patch:

See the "-" and "+" signs on the left of the patch? That tells you to remove the line marked with a "-" and put in the line marked with a "+".

Basically, you're just adding one word ("window") to the line:

Code: Select all

-    addressbook.exportAddressBook(directory);
+    addressbook.exportAddressBook(window, directory);

I just applied the patch and it worked fine.
Heron

Post by Heron »

@inconnu

I had to download 7-zip first (nice programme by the way, with winzip it did not work out) then it went absolutely easy! Everthing is working now like it should again.
Thx. for your kind help.
BobMcP

Post by BobMcP »

Same problem & the above 'fix' worked. But had to remember
to set WinZip compression to 'none'.
omegajoe

MozBackup instead of AB export, for now

Post by omegajoe »

Or, you could just use MozBackup (freeware) until this addressbook export bug is fixed. It can back up your address book and other mail features. You can get it at this URL or at a number of freeware/shareware sites: http://backup.jasnapaka.com. This might be a better solution for those not wanting to risk messing up the jar file.

Post by Guest »

I applied the patch and it worked fine.
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

For backup purposes you have no need to "export" the addressbook. Simply copy the file(s). You need to be able to "export" only when needing to change the daat format.
Lee Campbell

Can't find addressbook

Post by Lee Campbell »

Hi All,

I don't seem to have any such file known as addressbook.js. I do however have an address book that I imported from Outlook Express. Using Mozilla, it works just fine. I am using the Mozilla suite. Any idea where my adress book lives and what it's called?

Thanks
Lee
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Lee -- don't confuse "programs" with "data", This talk about fixing addressbook.js refers to some Javascript controllign the behavior of Mozilla when doign the export operation.

Your addressbook DATA is in your profile. Mozilla users really do have to learn "what is my profile and where is it" (depends upon OS). If you have a POP mail account use mail&Newsgroup Accoutn Settings->Server Settinsg to see the path to the "local directory" being used for the rooot of the mail folder tree sfor that account. It will look something like.......
......./Mozilla/Profiles/Default/xxxxxxxx.slt/mail.nameofapopsercer and that ....Default/yyyyyyyy.sl/ directory is called a "profile". It holds not only your user data, but when you choose a setting or preference it gets saved as data in there.

OK --- your personal address book ifle is abook,mab your collected address book file is history.mab I don't know what others you might or might not have created, but they should all have extension .mab << probably "Mozilla Address Book" >>
andibre

exportAddressBook problem, no messenger.jar

Post by andibre »

ok , i have another nice problem.

i have no .jar file in my profile, nowhere. in the chrome directory is only one file calles chrome.rdf. and i have no file in my profile containing "exportAddressBook".
can i fix the problem with creating a "content\messenger\addressbook\addressbook.js" file, fill it only with "addressbook.exportAddressBook(window, directory);", tar it ( ? uncompressend archive? i can not use izarch with linux) , rename it to messenger.jar and place it in the chrome directory?

( using mozilla 1.7.5 on linux2.6. upgrade from something like mozilla 1.5. with only moving profile.)

i hop somebody can help.

the adressbook is working fine but i need an export.

thx, andi
YKWKY

It Works!

Post by YKWKY »

Sorry, but I am using Windows, and I fixed the problem by following "inconnu" method (Thanks), detail as follows:

1. Find messenger.jar in the following folder
C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\chrome

2. Change messenger.jar to messenger.zip

3. Then edit addressbook.js by 7zip
remark: addressbook.js contains in messenger.jar only, it is not a file you can search by Windows or (Linux).

4. Save what you did for addressbook.js

5. Change messenger.zip back to messenger.jar

6. DONE.

IMPORTANT: you must backup the messenger.jar before edit it.

Good Luck.