Multiple tabs don't load, AKA, remember when Firefox worked?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sonofapreacherman

Multiple tabs don't load, AKA, remember when Firefox worked?

Post by Sonofapreacherman »

Since my Firefox browser updated to version 6, I can't load multiple tabs anymore without over one-half of them stalling (I simultaneously load about 50 a day each morning, some news, mostly web cartoons). Don't tell me that's too many for Firefox too handle. I've been doing this painlessly for years.

To be clear, I don't get an error on individual tabs, they just don't load. I have to hit stop load and reload to make the page show up (but only after one-quarter to one-half of the tabs successfully load). Hitting reload all tabs only makes the matter worse.

I waited through 6.0.1 to see if this problem would be addressed, but now that 6.0.2 is here and my problem persists, I am posting.

Again, this wasn't a problem pre-version 6 and it's certainly not a problem with my connection speed (I have high speed extreme with my provder).

Could somebody please tell me if this problem is being addressed and/or what I can do about it in the meantime (besides switch to Chrome)? Thanks.

Kolja
enso10

Re: Multiple tabs don't load, AKA, remember when Firefox wor

Post by enso10 »

Configure your firewall or sometimes antivirus program- under Help! I can't Connect to the Internet here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=554091
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Sonofapreacherman wrote:Since my Firefox browser updated to version 6, I can't load multiple tabs anymore without over one-half of them stalling (I simultaneously load about 50 a day each morning, some news, mostly web cartoons). Don't tell me that's too many for Firefox too handle. I've been doing this painlessly for years.

To be clear, I don't get an error on individual tabs, they just don't load. I have to hit stop load and reload to make the page show up (but only after one-quarter to one-half of the tabs successfully load). Hitting reload all tabs only makes the matter worse.

I waited through 6.0.1 to see if this problem would be addressed, but now that 6.0.2 is here and my problem persists, I am posting.

Again, this wasn't a problem pre-version 6 and it's certainly not a problem with my connection speed (I have high speed extreme with my provder).

Could somebody please tell me if this problem is being addressed and/or what I can do about it in the meantime (besides switch to Chrome)? Thanks.

Kolja

Try setting about:config prefs:
network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4; set to true
browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs; set to -1

Mozilla developer blog article about the removal of about:config preference 'browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs' and the New 'Load Tabs on Demand' feature:

http://blog.zpao.com/post/9052215461/max-concurrent-tabs-is-dead-long-live
Sonofapreacherman

rob64rock wrote:Try setting about:config prefs:
network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4; set to true
browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs; set to -1

Mozilla developer blog article about the removal of about:config preference 'browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs' and the New 'Load Tabs on Demand' feature:

http://blog.zpao.com/post/9052215461/max-concurrent-tabs-is-dead-long-live

I would love to try this. Where do I find the interface for these functions in Firefox?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Open a new blank tab.
Type or copy 'n paste "about:config" (without the quotes) into the URL bar.
Press the "Enter" key.
Accept the "warning" message.
At the top of the next screen, there is a Filter Bar.
Type or copy 'n paste the relevant pref.
Right click to select the options.
Close & re-open Firefox.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Just a note about this... these settings ONLY apply during a restored session. If you open multiple tabs at once *during* a session then Firefox still attempts to load all of them at one time. I have no idea why it doesn't *always* do this. There is an extension called "Load Tabs Progressively" that may be of interest.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Chris_Denmark

Post by Chris_Denmark »

Sonofapreacherman wrote:Since my Firefox browser updated to version 6, I can't load multiple tabs anymore without over one-half of them stalling (I simultaneously load about 50 a day each morning, some news, mostly web cartoons). Don't tell me that's too many for Firefox too handle. I've been doing this painlessly for years.

I have exactly the same problem, and it also started with FF6.

If I wait for a tab to load completely before launching the next tab (ctrl+click) it seems to work fine.
However, if I launch 3-5 tabs quickly, I can make it stall forever. All subsequent new tabs, or refreshing existing tabs, will stall too.
I have the same problem in safe mode, so it's not some add-on.
I don't have the problem in Chrome. At all.

I tried the suggested settings and they made no difference.

However: On my work laptop, I have the same versions of FF/Win (6.0.2/XPpro) and I don't have the problem there.

I'm tempted to do a complete FF removal and reinstall 6.0.2 from scratch.

Cheers!
Chris
Chris_Denmark

Post by Chris_Denmark »

Update:
Uninstalling/reinstalling did not help.

Looking further I found an advice in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2289893

Just resolved my problem.
I installed fasterfox, restarted firefox - uninstalled fasterfox and restarted ff again.

Well; that solved it for me as well.
I can no longer provoke the stalling.

Cheers!
Chris.
patrickjdempsey

That's because Fasterfox changes certain preferences under about:config that are not disabled when you go into SafeMode... SafeMode doesn't *rule out* that extensions are the source of a problem, just makes it possible to say they are *absolutely* the source of a problem. Go into about:config and search for "pipelining". Right-click on all entries and select Reset to get your factory settings.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Sonofapreacherman

patrickjdempsey wrote:Go into about:config and search for "pipelining". Right-click on all entries and select Reset to get your factory settings.

I am right-clicking, but there is no option for 'Reset' to factory settings.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

If you right click, just select "Reset".
Close & re-open Firefox to complete.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
patrickjdempsey

If Reset is greyed out then those specific settings are already at factory defaults. ;)