Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sabret00the

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by sabret00the »

Windows 8 is all about touch. I imagine we'll see a huge amount of laptops and desktops shipping with touchscreens. Of course Mozilla will be late to the party though.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

Like the vast majority will be equipped with those touch laptops and especially desktops in no time... Right.

In 3-4 years, maybe. But, how can you expect in the near future to happen such a great change and thus Mozilla will be late? You like bashing, obviously.

Anyway. What concerns me is, since Firefox appears such glitches/flaws in Win 8 as those related to GFX, could that mean that the current implementations aren't proper in Win7 or just because... "Win 8" ?
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

LordStriker wrote:You like bashing, obviously.

:roll:
Anyway. What concerns me is, since Firefox appears such glitches/flaws in Win 8 as those related to GFX, could that mean that the current implementations aren't proper in Win7 or just because... "Win 8" ?

Yes, mystifying that, third-party product on pre-release alpha state software. =D>
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Windows 8 has a slightly different front end than Windows 7 which would explain the glitches. They are using modified display drivers also for the new driver model and DirectX 11.1.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

I was on Win 8 last night and had no issues with Fx 9.0a1.
Even sync worked great just as it did for the 7989 Win 8 leak.

But, then, I wasn't using a supposed "Metro" version of Fx.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Edds wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686749

Metro scrollbars? well maybe NOW Mozilla will notice that custom scrollbars break in 4+ versions randomly and decide to finally fix it. :-"
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
impar

Post by impar »

sabret00the wrote:Windows 8 is all about touch. I imagine we'll see a huge amount of laptops and desktops shipping with touchscreens. Of course Mozilla will be late to the party though.

Desktops with touchscreens?
Doubt that very much.
Just think of the ergonomics. Would you be confortable at a desk with your arms stretched to touch the screen?

Windows 8 Metro tiled UI is just meant for tablets, smartphones and maybe some laptops. On desktops classical windows UI will be the default.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

impar wrote:
sabret00the wrote:Windows 8 is all about touch. I imagine we'll see a huge amount of laptops and desktops shipping with touchscreens. Of course Mozilla will be late to the party though.

Doubt that very much.
Just think of the ergonomics. Would you be confortable at a desk with your arms stretched to touch the screen?

Windows 8 Metro tiled UI is just meant for tablets, smartphones and maybe some laptops. On desktops classical windows UI will be the default.

Very much so. I wouldn't use it for everything, but tasks like moving windows, closing windows, minimising windows, scrolling some pages, launching programs and pretty much anything that didn't require typing or precision clicking, I'm likely to reach up for my monitor.
patrickjdempsey

I actually heard a very interesting interview on the radio yesterday talking about how terrible the iPad and other touch devices are for carpal-tunnel. Much of this has to do with the lack of "bounce-back" on the keys and the fact that you have to hold the tablet at two different angles to type and read. On touch desktops, the problem becomes reaching up... basically from a physiological stand-point they were saying that having the keyboard and monitor at the same level is always bad.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
impar

Post by impar »

Basic ergonomics, really.
On Desktop the Metro UI should be forbidden.
DuncanL

Post by DuncanL »

impar wrote:

Doubt that very much.

Available now from every major manufacturer:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-2305-amd/pd
http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaig ... hSmart-520
http://commercial.asus.com/product/index/23
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages ... /2010/a700

impar wrote:Just think of the ergonomics. Would you be confortable at a desk with your arms stretched to touch the screen?

There I agree - doesn't seem to make sense to me; but for home users who just want web browsing, maybe it works.
Current Firefox Version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b99) Gecko/20090605 Firefox/3.5b99
impar

Post by impar »

DuncanL wrote:
impar wrote:Desktops with touchscreens?
Doubt that very much.

Available now from every major manufacturer:

Oh, sure they are available, but are you seeing any future for them? Especially on a work environment?
DuncanL

Post by DuncanL »

impar wrote:Oh, sure they are available, but are you seeing any future for them? Especially on a work environment?

In certain sectors - sure. Retail terminals, reception systems, industrial environments (in more rugged forms of course), support call centres.
No; no developer is ever be going to be writing Revenge of the Bargleblasters 7 on a touchscreen, or an author writing a novel, but I suspect there will be plenty of markets where a touchscreen is all you need.
Current Firefox Version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b99) Gecko/20090605 Firefox/3.5b99
patrickjdempsey

Or all you think you need until you get a repetitive stress injury... they aren't fun.
DuncanL

Post by DuncanL »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Or all you think you need until you get a repetitive stress injury... they aren't fun.

Indeed - but there are many thousands of people round the world (myself included) who can attest to the fact that you can get RSI from existing mouse\keyboard setups. At least it'll be a different injury...