Email disaster

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Triskelion

Email disaster

Post by Triskelion »

Recently I switched my email from Shaw to Telus, but for some reason I CAN'T send emails on my Telus account from Thunderbird.
I have tried setting it up as a Pop account and IMAP.. but nothing. I keep getting the message..

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.1 <name@address.ca> recipient rejected, relaying not allowed here.. Please check the message recipient name@address.ca and try again."

If anyone could help fix this, it would be appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Email disaster

Post by DanRaisch »

Neither POP nor IMAP have anything to do with sending messages as they are alternative protocols involved in receiving email.

Were you using Thunderbird with the Shaw email account? If so, did you create a new account to work with the new Telus address or did you change server settings in Thunderbird? What settings do you have entered for the SMTP server under Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)?
Triskelion

Post by Triskelion »

DanRaisch wrote:Neither POP nor IMAP have anything to do with sending messages as they are alternative protocols involved in receiving email.

Were you using Thunderbird with the Shaw email account? If so, did you create a new account to work with the new Telus address or did you change server settings in Thunderbird? What settings do you have entered for the SMTP server under Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)?

Right now I still have the shaw account there, because it hasn't been deactivated yet.
I added the telus account as a new account.
Here are the settings I have with Thunderbird 3.1.14 for Telus
Incoming Server: imap.telus.net Port: 143
Outgoing Server: smtp.telus.net Port: 587
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you confirmed that the SMTP definition for Telus has been associated with the new account set up for the Telus account? Find that selection under Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) drop down selector at the bottom of the right hand pane of the dialogue box.
Triskelion

Post by Triskelion »

In the drop down box it says, my name - smtp.telus.net (Default)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please list the other settings for the SMTP server:

Connection Security
Authentication Method
Did you enter your full Telus email address as the user name or just the bit before the @ symbol?
Triskelion

Post by Triskelion »

Connection Security: None
Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely
User name: Just the bit before the @ symbol
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try selecting "No authentication" rather than the current entry.
Triskelion

Post by Triskelion »

DanRaisch wrote:Try selecting "No authentication" rather than the current entry.

Nope...

So an interesting twist...
I can use the telus email when i'm at home... when I'm on a telus network.
When I was at work, I was on a shaw network, or rather just a non-telus network, and the outgoing failed.

Does this info help in solving my problem, so I can send mail on a non-telus network??
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It may. Some providers will not permit the use of their servers if you are not logged in via their network. That's intended to prevent their use for spamming. What error message are you getting with the "No Authentication" option selected.
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

Sending mail from a portable device while traveling has long been a pain in the butt due to the ever-changing server restrictions designed to stop spammers.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Triskelion

Post by Triskelion »

DanRaisch wrote:It may. Some providers will not permit the use of their servers if you are not logged in via their network. That's intended to prevent their use for spamming. What error message are you getting with the "No Authentication" option selected.

Still getting...
"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.1 <name@address.ca> recipient rejected, relaying not allowed here.. Please check the message recipient name@address.ca and try again."
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you getting that error with every email address you try to send to or only one? Have you confirmed that the email address is valid?
vanburner

Post by vanburner »

Go to your Telus Internet Account Email Settings and make sure IMAP is selected. POP is the Telus default and they have issues when you are set up in your account on POP but have your desktop set up for IMAP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Except Triskelion is having problems sending message so the incoming server, whether POP or IMAP, would not be a likely cause of the issue.