[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.7.7 - Sep 18, 2011

Post by Morac »

Not completely. Firefox 6 handles restoring tab groups in existing windows better than Firefox 4 did, but it still doesn't work perfectly. The best I could do is make sure no two tab groups have the same ID and hope for the best.
onemen

Post by onemen »

it is also almost impossible to append tabs (and groups) into exist window with group.
i will try to implement this steps:
1. create new window, then in the new window panorama isn't loaded yet.
2. restore the session.
3. copy tabs and groups data to the new window if we are appending. (need to decide which active groups to make active in the new window, the one from the restored session or the one from current window)
4. close the old window.
unwina

Post by unwina »

Hi, not sure if its me but I have been using 0.7.6.1 on a number of machines, independantly, and I've just started using it on FF6.02 on my new windows 7 machine. In 0.7.6.1 restoring from previous session with 5 pinned items used to result in duplicate pinned items when FF was called to open a browser file from filemanager, eg its not yet open. This was ok at least it was stable and it just meant you had to work at that level for the opened screen then close down and restart using the session before the last one saved. On a fast machine and internet this was acceptable.

I have now moved up to 0.7.7 today and in the same scenarios the duplicates had seemingly been removed, however they sort of haven't in that when you close the session you get the error...

"Exc in ev handl: TypeError: brw.parentNode is null about:blank"

The last session is saved, but upon resuming FF you then gets 5 additional "about blank screens" now, I didn't see them before I saved it, I'm guessing this is not correct. To confuse things I was then unable to close any tabs and eventually rebuilt from a previous session that was good. This is only affected by pinned items I tried it without the pinned items and all seemed okay.

There are some other spurious things happening around this but intitially I wondered if this was a known issue with this version or the fix was inclomplete and I'd missed it in the release notes.

Please let me know if you need help as getting a new fast machine has recently made FF a more viable option for me and I really use pinned items quite a bit and would like it to work if possible.

thanks in advance,
Alan
Drizzy

Post by Drizzy »

I'm am so very, very sorry, but I cannot figure out how to export a session to another instance of Firefox on another computer. I have changed the default session saving location to my desktop, then I put the session file into dropbox, then I transfer the file to my other desktop. Then I changed the default session location on the other Firefox instance, but it only opens a single tab -- the saved session is not there.

The session file that gets saved to the desktop is only 1.9k -- yet i have about 60 tabs open. i would think that the session file should be much larger (?)

Any idea what I continue to do wrong?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Are you using tab groups?
Are you using encryption?
Have you doublechecked that you are in the right folder?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Morac

Post by Morac »

unwina wrote:I have now moved up to 0.7.7 today and in the same scenarios the duplicates had seemingly been removed, however they sort of haven't in that when you close the session you get the error...

The last session is saved, but upon resuming FF you then gets 5 additional "about blank screens" now, I didn't see them before I saved it, I'm guessing this is not correct. To confuse things I was then unable to close any tabs and eventually rebuilt from a previous session that was good. This is only affected by pinned items I tried it without the pinned items and all seemed okay.

There is an option whether to keep the pinned tabs or not in Session Manager. My guess is you have that unchecked.

As for the error, where are you seeing that? The error is not something that seems to be Session Manager related since there is no "brw" variable in Session Manager. Also that wouldn't prevent you from closing tabs. Also it sounds like you had 5 pinned "about:blank" tabs which also doesn't seem correct.

Do you have any other add-ons installed (things like tab managers or the like)? If so, try disabling them.
Drizzy

Post by Drizzy »

No encryption.

Tab groups? Not sure what that is. I simply have around 60 tabs in a Firefox session that I need to open on another PC.

But I found a workaround - sync up all my PCs to a Firefox bookmark sync and save my session (all open tabs) as a bookmark folder (with an appropriate name).

May I suggest that there needs to be an EASY method for exporting a Session Manager saved session to another PC -- a method that doesn't involve changing the default save location, but allows a new save location to be entered on a one-time basis.

Thanks!
Morac

Post by Morac »

Currently the only way to "export" sessions is to use the "Open Session Folder" and simply copy the .session files out of the session folder and manually copy them to the other PC. Then use the "Open Session Folder" on that PC and copy them into the sessions folder.

The DropBox method is useful for doing this automatically. The easiest way to do that is to create a "sessions' folder in your "My Dropbox" folder and then point Session Manager on both machines to the "sessions" folder. If you do that, then any sessions saved on one box will get synced to Dropbox and then to the other box. The exception to this method is that if two sessions are named the same on different PCs. In that case Dropbox will end up getting a conflict and rename one of the session files.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Drizzy,

I cannot figure out why things are not working for you as you have described it. I set up folders in dropbox for each computer--I did not want to run into the file name conflict that Morac mentions just above. I then copyed a saved session from one computer's folder to the other computer's folder and then tried loading it. Everything worked fine.

Morac,

It would be nice to have the ability to navigate to different folders when trying to load, save and otherwise work with sessions.

Also, as I was looking into things for Drizzy, I thought it would be nice to specify a prepended or appended part of the backup file name. What I would like is to prepend or append the computer name to the backup session file name. This would enable me to use one common folder for all my computers and I could also quickly see which computer the file was from. It could be as simple as providing a box in the appropriate options tab where I could type in what I choose and choose whether that string is prepended or appended to the backup session file name.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
WillowRaven

Post by WillowRaven »

I have been having an issue with Session Manager and not really sure what is causing it (if it's a setting that I'm missing or not understanding, or if its an actual bug that I should report):

I am using Firefox 6.0.2 with Session Manager. When I start up FF, about 70% of the time, it adds in a tab with the following website: http://no1techblog.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... -than.html . This is NOT a site I have visited nor is it one I have in my saved tabs or anything else. Not only does it pop this up randomly, it also makes my options in the upper right hand corner (minimize/maximize/close) disappear, and I am unable to go to the bottom right corner and expand/decrease the browser window size:
I cannot click on any of the tabs in the browser - the ONLY thing I am able to do is close it down via my Task Manager, and then reopen it, and when the session manager pops up, I can uncheck the website (http://no1techblog.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... -than.html) so that it doesn't re-load:

This has been happening for more than 3 weeks now, has moved beyond annoying.

Additional note: this "N" site post is NOT coming up as a "pinned tab" but as just a regular tab.

Can someone advise me if I am somehow missing a setting, is this a site that is related to one of the developers, is this a bug I should report and more importantly - what do I do to get it to STOP happening???

EDIT/REASON: Screenshots added
Last edited by WillowRaven on September 23rd, 2011, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ered

Post by Ered »

I'm having the strangest issue that I've narrowed down to Session Manager. When I go to synchtube.com, I get a 502 bad gateway error when I use my saved session.

I reinstalled Firefox and created a new profile and it worked fine before and after installing Session Manager. After pulling in my saved session and restarting, the error came back.
unwina

Post by unwina »

unwina wrote:I have now moved up to 0.7.7 today and in the same scenarios the duplicates had seemingly been removed, however they sort of haven't in that when you close the session you get the error...

Morac wrote:There is an option whether to keep the pinned tabs or not in Session Manager. My guess is you have that unchecked.

The option "Do not replace pinned App tabs" is unchecked, I checked it and it just seems to act like previous version and I now get duplicates for my 5 pinned tabs. Is there another option about pinned tabs I'm missing. ( See below for more info)

I can live with it duplicating my pinned items and just remove them. was it meant to have fixed this issue though.

Morac wrote:As for the error, where are you seeing that? The error is not something that seems to be Session Manager related since there is no "brw" variable in Session Manager. Also that wouldn't prevent you from closing tabs. Also it sounds like you had 5 pinned "about:blank" tabs which also doesn't seem correct.

Do you have any other add-ons installed (things like tab managers or the like)? If so, try disabling them.

I've got rid of the error on exit by as you say disabling all the other items, when I did this I got a different error on exit suggesting that the errors were in fact Javascript ones!.

I'll try to find what caused that and also run some further tests on SM 0.7.7, what i will say is with the option above unchecked

1. Start firefox 6.0.2 with only SM 0.7.7 enabled.
2. Open and pin 5 tabs, then open 5 other tabs.
3. Close firefox.
4. Now double click any url item or an HTML file on the pc.
5. Accept most recent session should show 10 tabs.
6. These will all open ok and the additional tab opens.
7. try to close any of the tabs.
(all will not respond to closetab (x to right of tabs) they seem like they have crashed hower only closetab seems to have failed the contents still works.
8. Close firefox. (FF says you are about to close 11 tabs - this is correct at the moment.)
9. Click "Close Tabs" button. FF closes.
10. Restart FF
SM now says there are 16 tabs - 5 additional items have appeared entitled "about:blank"
11 Click "resume session" and 5 additional "New Tab" items have appeared.
12 These items can be removed using closetab. Everythin gelse seems okay at this point.

At no point have I asked for the new tabs or hidden tabs and as I say the setting for "Do not replace pinned App tabs" is unchecked, see above for what happens if I check it.

I think I can actually probably remove the items in the resume session but is the fix for
* Bug 24245 - Don't restore app tabs at startup if option is set not to and user starts browser by opening a web page from an external application.
actually working correctly.

Any further ideas will be gratefully recieved and tested

Alan

Win7 Pro, FF6.0.2
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@unwina,

FYI-I have that option unchecked, too, and have no problem with my pinned tabs being restored.
Ray

unwina

Post by unwina »

WildcatRay wrote:@unwina,

FYI-I have that option unchecked, too, and have no problem with my pinned tabs being restored.

Hi Ray,

Thats sort of useful and sort of not, good to hear that you have it working but not good in that how do fix my problem. (I know the work round but its easier to not have to do that everytime) I've taken to having opera as my default browser for auto starts and FF as my main for day to day work. I'd probably use opera if xmarks worked with it but to no avail on that one.

My PC is win7(64bit) running FF 6.0.2 with nothing running additional except SM 0.7.7, everything else completely disabled. I can reproduce it as detailed above everytime 100%. Perhaps i'll try my old machine which is XP and see if it has same probs.

If you have any ideas I'd be grateful as SM and FF are the bees knees and be nice to get it working correctly for
me.

thanks again
Alan

Alan

Win7 Pro, FF6.0.2
unwina

Post by unwina »

WildcatRay wrote:@unwina,

actually I re-read the above and I too have no probs with the pinned items being restored its just I either get duplicates if I set the option and weird stuff if I don't .

Alan

Alan

Win7 Pro, FF6.0.2