I'm tired of Firefox "try safe mode" BS = Google Chrome

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
SaintSeb78

I'm tired of Firefox "try safe mode" BS = Google Chrome

Post by SaintSeb78 »

I'v an AVID Firefox user, I've had Firefox since it had a 1. in front of the version number. I've got Firefox on my Android. Heck, I think the only thing missing on my iPad2 is Firefox. But I'm getting to the end of the line, I'm tired of all the problems that have persisted for such a long time. I'm tired of the reply "Have you tried safe mode?" You shouldn't have to use safe mode on anything, unless the situation is dangerous.....and no, it would't help renaming it.

Right now, I'm writing this in Chrome. I'm tired of memory problems, tired of my system slowing down with Firefox hogging over 500mb of memory. Tired of CPU usage going to 100%. I'm tired of Firefox "Not responding". As of right now, 6.0.2 isn't working for me. I've tried turning off all addons. I've tried a new profile. I've tried safe mode. It still stalls.....it's f***ing unbelievable that they can't fi this.

I will uninstall and remove everything "Firefoxy" from my systems if Mozilla doesn't finally respond to these issues a lot of people are having intermittently. Firefox/Mozilla needs to address the following issues:

- Addons memory handling/usage/monitoring : If you have 20 addons, you shouldn't have to turn off one at a time to find out what addon is causing problems. The system should tell you.

- Firefox needs to adress the memory issues RIGHT NOW. Several versions now have hogged up to and over 500mb, stalling the entire system. Why can't they get Firefox to release it the way it should?

- Closing Firefox doesn't close the program from the system..I have to go into Task manager to close it.

There are a lot more....I don't care how it looks anymore....I don't care how many addons it has......fix it or I'm off.

S
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: I'm tired of Firefox "try safe mode" BS = Google Chrome

Post by malliz »

OK bye. Honestly do you really think that your threatening to go to Chrome is really going to impress anyone other than your shrink? Your the one who installed the addons if your to lazy to do a few simple steps to sort the problem out then Chrome fully deserves you.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Funnnnny... I put Chrome problems into Google search and it came back with over 82 million HITS... I put Firefox problems in there and it came back with 118 million HITS. BUT Chrome is the baby here time-wise. Chrome came out to the public in 2008 (aprx 3 years) and Firefox came out 2004 (aprx 7 years).

With that said... by the time Chrome gets to the 7-year point it should have well over 250 million+++ hits for the same life-span as Firefox.

Yeah, this was a very simple analysis but it points out some basics.

After working with/viewing 1000's of issues around here it's pretty well evident that USER-RELATED-PC-ACTIONS are the cause of a huge majority of problems related to the functioning of Firefox....

A person who pumps Diesel into their Gasoline vehicle should never blame anybody other than themselves for their screw-up.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Firebug and likely an A/V toolbar.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Post by James »

dfoulkes wrote:Chrome came out to the public in 2008 (aprx 3 years) and Firefox came out 2004 (aprx 7 years).

Actually the browser you know as Firefox came out September 23, 2002. If you were thinking of Firefox 1.0 then there was nothing really special about that release. Also the Firefox name started as of 0.8 (February 2004) and not 1.0 (November 2004).
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Well, per the Wiki link about Firefox ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

And this is what I picked from it... since I was using "Firefox" as my search test I figured it best to pick the date that Wiki has in there ... for the title Firefox .... maybe they're wrong???

.....on February 9, 2004, Mozilla Firebird became Mozilla Firefox,[24] often referred to as simply Firefox. Mozilla prefers that Firefox be abbreviated as Fx or fx, though it is often abbreviated as FF.[25] The Firefox project went through many versions before 1.0 was released on November 9, 2004
James

Post by James »

Firefox was not always known as Firefox as it was called Phoenix from 0.1 to 0.5 then it changed to Firebird for 0.6/0.6.1, 0.7 (0.7.1 for Mac) and then the name changed to Firefox as of 0.8.

The name was changed from Phoenix to Firebird because of a trademark dispute with the BIOS manufacturer, Phoenix Technologies. The name then changed again from Firebird to Firefox because of http://www.firebirdsql.org
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

SaintSeb78 wrote:I'm tired of all the problems that have persisted for such a long time.

Still using McAfee stuff ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
SaintSeb78

Post by SaintSeb78 »

Yes, I'm still with McAffe...and yes it has caused a lot of problems in the past.

I've been doing a LOT of research on this now and I've perhaps identified the reason Firefox appears to stall for 20-30 seconds several times a day. It seems to be working better now, no stalls or anything. It was McAffe's script checking Firefox that APPARENTLY caused the stalling. I've turned in off in McAffe Total Protection.

Still there are a lot of memory problems with Firefox and no easy solution on how to find the culprit. I don't care if I installed the addons and it's my own fault. If Mozilla built in a function to have addons they should expect people to use it and make sure it works properly. I'm no programmer, but why can't they have the addons run in a sandbox or as a separate program? At least incorporate a monitoring system where it is easier to identify which addon is causing problems. I'm running Chrome and Firefox right now, same/similar addons running and same webpages open. Chrome is using 65,000 K and Firefox is using 280,000 K. I've yet to see Chrome use over 200.

As to the "Chrome" has more bugs thing, perhaps. But the net is more complex now that when Firefox came out and my guess is that Firefox had more bugs in the start as well.

I'm not threatening per se, but I'm tired of Firefox not working as it should. In marketing you have something called the "3-1 ratio". If you are dissatisfied with a product, you tell three people and if satisfied you only tell one. If Firefox doesn't address the issues people are experiencing, user numbers will decrease....and only Die Hard fans will still be using ut. Firefox will marginalize itself and competitors will take over. Remember Netscape? I don't want to say "remember Fireox" when I get old.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Whatever...... and we still don't care if you stop using Firefox.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Since I was right about the AV toolbar am I also right about Firebug?

As for you being tired of Firefox not working as it should, well, use something else. This is a user to user support forum and you are only allowed one whine. If you are not willing to take our suggestions for help then go bother the folks at the official support site.

Moving to Firefox General since this hasn't anything to do with a Firefox bug.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

SaintSeb78 wrote:There are a lot more....I don't care how it looks anymore....I don't care how many addons it has......fix it or I'm off.

OK

SaintSeb78 wrote:Still there are a lot of memory problems with Firefox and no easy solution on how to find the culprit. I don't care if I installed the addons and it's my own fault. If Mozilla built in a function to have addons they should expect people to use it and make sure it works properly. I'm no programmer, but why can't they have the addons run in a sandbox or as a separate program? At least incorporate a monitoring system where it is easier to identify which addon is causing problems. I'm running Chrome and Firefox right now, same/similar addons running and same webpages open. Chrome is using 65,000 K and Firefox is using 280,000 K. I've yet to see Chrome use over 200.

As to the "Chrome" has more bugs thing, perhaps. But the net is more complex now that when Firefox came out and my guess is that Firefox had more bugs in the start as well.

I'm not threatening per se, but I'm tired of Firefox not working as it should. In marketing you have something called the "3-1 ratio". If you are dissatisfied with a product, you tell three people and if satisfied you only tell one. If Firefox doesn't address the issues people are experiencing, user numbers will decrease....and only Die Hard fans will still be using ut. Firefox will marginalize itself and competitors will take over. Remember Netscape? I don't want to say "remember Fireox" when I get old.

Hmm, so have you tried Safe Mode or not?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm running Chrome and Firefox right now, same/similar addons running and same webpages open. Chrome is using 65,000 K and Firefox is using 280,000 K. I've yet to see Chrome use over 200.

I have Chrome "portable" here just to have it for minor testing etc... so, the portable version may handle things differently with respect to Task Mgr. processes... don't know so those out there who use the installed version of it may have better numbers...

On this PC...
Restarted Firefox and went to my home page (MyYahoo) and did nothing beyond that...
Firefox used 173 MB per the Task mgr.
Note that I have 47 enabled extensions plus a non-default theme (where did all those exts. come from?? :-" )

Started Chrome and it started with my same home page.
Chrome used a total of 280mb.
Note that I have 7 enabled extensions with the default theme. This portable version created 8 processes and all those added together came up with the 280mb.

Unless this portable version works diff. with respect to the Task Mgr versus the normal installed version and the OP has a number of extensions installed in it I don't see how that mem. number for Chrome can be correct... there should be a process for each Chrome-extension...
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

SaintSeb78 wrote:Yes, I'm still with McAffe...and yes it has caused a lot of problems in the past.
It was McAffe's script checking Firefox that APPARENTLY caused the stalling.

Uhhu, and Magic 8 Ball says....... 'GET RID OF MCAFEE'........

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
@ The 'cleanup removal tool'... http://download.mcafee.com/products/lic ... s/MCPR.exe
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Perhaps PEBCAK - look up this acronym.

Millions (literally Millions) of users use FF7 without issue.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.