Restored Profile, Local Folders not showing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
VMH

Restored Profile, Local Folders not showing

Post by VMH »

My computer died from smoke inhalation from a house fire but luckily I have Carbonite and all my data was backed up. I've reinstalled Thunderbird and copied my restored profile from Carbonite to the new profile. All my various accounts are back and in good shape however all my Local Folders are not showing in Thunderbird. When I go to the Local Folder-1 folder in the Thunderbird Programme Files it appears that all the various folders in my Local Folders are there.

How do I get them to show up in TB?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
romin

Re: Restored Profile, Local Folders not showing

Post by romin »

try copying the Thunderbird data folder from your backup.

paste it into the Roaming folder in the reinstallation
VMH

Post by VMH »

There is no "data file" per se in Carbonite. It backs up/copies the files exactly as they are in the folders designated for backup. So for example in User/Name?Roaming/AppData/Thunderbird/ all the files that would be normally on one's computer are copied directly to Carbonite. Then when they are restored they are copied back to the computer exactly.

So I am not understanding what file you are referring to.

Post by Guest »

VMH wrote:There is no "data file" per se in Carbonite. It backs up/copies the files exactly as they are in the folders designated for backup. So for example in User/Name?Roaming/AppData/Thunderbird/ all the files that would be normally on one's computer are copied directly to Carbonite. Then when they are restored they are copied back to the computer exactly. .
alright, which file(s) have you restored?

restore the Thunderbird folder
VMH

Post by VMH »

I have restored the entire Thunderbird folder which is kept under User/Name/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird, which includes the entire Profile folder. In the Profile folder there are two folders, among many others, titled Local Folder and Local Folder-1. The Local Folders -1 appears to have the files of my various local folders. However when I open up Thunderbird, which is using this very Profile, it shows all my various email accounts, which are of course also in the Profile folder, but it does not show my Local Folders
loco05

Post by loco05 »

i don't know what to do now.

maybe you can copy the contents of Local Folders-1, over to Local Folders, and see what happens

Post by VMH »

for some reason, there were already the 2 local folders (Local Folders and Local Folders-1) on my Carbonite copy and they contain different things. Local folders -1 seems to have the files of the folders I created but they just don't seem to show up in TB.

I had already tried what you suggested however, to copy Local folder 1 over to Local folder but that did not do anything either.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy VMH,

are you seeing ANY "local folder" account? it sounds like you are seeing "local folders" and want to see "local folders-1" also. is that the case?

take care,
lee
VMH

Post by VMH »

OK. Lee in answer to your question Carbonite had both Local Folders and Local Folders-1 copied into my backup files on their server. However when I restored (copied back) these files into my Profile Mail folder, nothing happened.

After hooooooours of trying various configurations, new restores etc.,etc. I finally figured out the problem lay in Carbonite. It was restoring folders and some files but not all of them before giving me the Congratulations you've restored all the files you requested window. They were fibbing. Never figured out why.

So my solution was to select the folder or files I wanted to restore from Carbonite, right click and select Restore To then created a new folder on my desktop and had Carbonite restore them there. After they were finished, I then copied them into my Mail folder under my Profile. A bit labourious but it worked. I have all my emails.

FYI- Carbonite is giving the Congratulations window before it is actually done with the entire request. If a Carbonite user selects View Progress from the second window that pops up automatically along with the Congratulations window, the Progress window will come up from goodness knows where and show you that it is actually NOT done. I can only presume that it is giving me the congratulations window after it is done with each folder or file, something it never did before.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy VMH,

you are quite welcome! even if i didn't help much ... [*grin*] thanks for posting your fix. with a little luck, it will help others.

take care,
lee