[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Re: [Ext] Console² 0.6.1 [2010-03-29]

Post by Philip Chee »

Zoolcar9 wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:Have you posted the version 0.8 xpi file anywhere yet? I have not been able to find it on either AMO or the mozdev page

and the front page :mrgreen:

Done!
Philip Chee

Re: [Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Post by Philip Chee »

By the way, if anyone wants to submit a patch (or even code for a new feature) please feel free to so. Or even to be an active co-developer. These days I'm feeling stretched a bit thin between my extensions Flashblock, xSidebar (and some orphaned extensions I really shouldn't have picked up - but mom! FolderpaneTools followed me home!), my responsibilities as a SeaMonkey Council member and developer, and as a Mozdev volunteer admin. So I don't have much time to add new features and barely enough to keep things ticking along.

Phil
_development

Post by _development »

Hi Phil !

I don't want to take from your valuable time, I left this message here to share, take a look when you can.

I was debugging an extension on SeaMonkey and turned out that firebug with strict warnings was filling the console with a lot of resource:// URLs.
Then, I made a little change to be able to blocklist domains from resource:// URLs. The change was incredible small, just to lines.
It took me a moment to look to add support to be able to filter "resource://" URLs, not just blocking ( because sometime you want to hide temporally ).

Problem was that technically there is no "perfect fit category":
- I decided to group these as "chrome, content, resource"

Something I'm not really sure is:
- If the conditional CSS that hide the messages is correct. Appears to be correct. But I not made hours of tested.

Also fixed a bug when URLs contains three "/":
- Don't know if there is a reason or if its a bug, but there is URLs with three slashes such this. Locate one by opening the add-on manager. The real problem with this was that makes newURI throw an error, and these URLs become unblockable.

Nothing more.
I opened a github repository, with the changes because was the fastest and lazy way to share this.

The difference with console2-0.8 is in this commit

The installable XPI with the changes is here.
(note that you may need to "customize toolbar" on error console -> drag&drop the new "resource" button )

Kind regards,
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Hey thanks! This sounds great. I'll test this out RSN.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Looks good generally.
_development wrote:Also fixed a bug when URLs contains three "/":
- Don't know if there is a reason or if its a bug, but there is URLs with three slashes such this. Locate one by opening the add-on manager. The real problem with this was that makes newURI throw an error, and these URLs become unblockable.

resource:/// is a short cut for resource://app/. I'm not sure if your regexp should /// -> //app/ instead. Can you test that the blocklist can handle this?

Phil
_development

Post by _development »

Thanks for looking at!

That explains the strange ///. Then, looks appropriate to change the reg-exp to match only that exception and leave everything else untouched.

I also noticed a typo (Resouce -> Resource) which was preventing adding "resource" button when hitting "Restore default set" on toolbar.

The diff then looks like this, and the installable XPI to test like this

There is a need to add the localization entities, I can add these if you wish, don't wanted break the test in other languages than English.

I'll also look to add support for Komodo Betas which changed the sidebars to iframes. If someone know of something else to fix, may I can look into.

Regards :-)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Thanks for the updated diffs.
_development wrote:There is a need to add the localization entities, I can add these if you wish, don't wanted break the test in other languages than English.

Not to worry. I've already added the necessary entities over here. I use a fallback locale so that if a new entity is missing Console2 falls back to en-US.
_development wrote:I'll also look to add support for Komodo Betas which changed the sidebars to iframes. If someone know of something else to fix, may I can look into.

I don't officially support Komodo, but someone told me that Console2 works so I added compatibility to the install.rdf. I can't test directly since I don't use Komodo Edit/IDE so if something breaks I won't know and can't do anything about it (except accept patches).

Talking about patches, the next version will incorporate your changes together with patches other people have submitted. Thanks to all the others who have sent me patches as well!

Phil
_development

Post by _development »

Many thanks Phil,

When time and motivation allow you please check:

Here is diff that allows the extension to work with latest komodo alphas:
https://github.com/titoBouzout/Console2 ... f6390ed43d
It works better than current version because runs on own iframe/browser and drag&drop of toolbarbuttons works again!

I noticed too, that new line characters are not displayed on Komodo, ( maybe in another application can happen the same? ) and added a CSS rule to display the "description" tag on console-row as "pre-wrap".
https://github.com/titoBouzout/Console2 ... 4d52db26f0

Thanks again!
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

_development wrote:I noticed too, that new line characters are not displayed on Komodo, ( maybe in another application can happen the same? ) and added a CSS rule to display the "description" tag on console-row as "pre-wrap".
https://github.com/titoBouzout/Console2 ... 4d52db26f0

Can you explain what advantage is there with pre-wrap? Is there a use case for preserving line breaks instead of collapsing them into whitespace?

Thanks.

Phil
_development

Post by _development »

Yes, it's more readable, take a look to this message:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9303546/extensi ... e/wrap.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9303546/extensi ... unwrap.jpg

If I recall correctly, the default behaviour was to display new lines as new lines..
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

_development wrote:When time and motivation allow you please check:

Here is diff that allows the extension to work with latest komodo alphas:
https://github.com/titoBouzout/Console2 ... f6390ed43d
It works better than current version because runs on own iframe/browser and drag&drop of toolbarbuttons works again!

Is that Komodo IDE or Komodo Edit? They have different UUIDs needed for the install.rdf.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Thanks to _development and other contributors. I've put out a testing version 0.9a1 with the latest patches as Console² 0.9dev:

Installation

Testing Version: Console² 0.9dev
This release version works with Firefox 3.0 to 9, Thunderbird 3.0 to 9, SeaMonkey 2.0 to 2.9, and most probably the current trunk/branch nightlies.

What's New:
  • [new] Message FIFO limit is now controlled by a hidden preference "extensions.console2.max-errors" currently 1000. (Patch by Kris Maglione).
  • [new] Enable blocklist domains from resource:// URLs
    [new] Enable filter for "resource://" URLs
    [fix] Alias resource:/// to resource://app/ to allow these resource urls to be filtered and blocklisted.
    (Patches by titoBouzout).
  • [fix] Use white-space: pre-wrap for the console message descriptions to allow newlines and formatted messages (Patch by titoBouzout).
  • [new] Add support for Komodo alphas appversion >= 6.9 (Patch by titoBouzout).
  • [fix] css problems with textonly toolbarbuttons in icon mode toolbars.
Phil
_development

Post by _development »

Komodo alphas are about Komodo IDE, there is no alpha Komodo Edit ( I think )
Patch in theory will work on both versions.
Thanks for the update!
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

Is it possible to add a horizontal scrollbar ? If the error line is very long, it would be helpful to be able to scroll into view the column with the error (the underline points to it).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

al_9x wrote:Is it possible to add a horizontal scrollbar ? If the error line is very long, it would be helpful to be able to scroll into view the column with the error (the underline points to it).

Not that I know of. We are using a richlistbox unlike the native Error Console.

Phil