Firefox Stops Loading Pages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox Stops Loading Pages

Post by patrickjdempsey »

First off, try disabling your AV software, just to make sure it's not the culprit. Secondly, reinstalling Firefox has NO impact on your user settings. As user settings are often the source of problems, please read this, and made a new profile to test:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Maroc.US

Post by Maroc.US »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yes, because the tweaks that Fasterfox does are known to cause connection problems. Specifically the network.http.pipelining tweak can cause pages to not load or partially load. The default settings of Firefox are tuned to load pages as fast as possible, there's no logical reason to believe they would purposefully cripple the browser, especially considering the current browser wars craze. I would recommend uninstalling FasterFox and go into about:config and search for "pipelining" and right-click each entry and select "Reset" to restore them to the factory settings.

you got it wrong man :shock:
I never had fasterfox no do i need to use it (link over 100mbps)
Fasterfox after installation and reinstalation repaired my firefox problem....
I tought that problem is with some network tweeks that went wrong during FF 5 to FF 6 upgrade and it turn out i was correct.

Installation of fasterfox and removing it probably put all config network settings to default ff6, and that solved the problem

cheers
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

xed wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Specifically the network.http.pipelining tweak can cause pages to not load or partially load.

Thank you for this. I thought pipelining was an advantageous tweak, however I can tell now that it is not and I thank you so much for correcting my false impression.

When I was using Windows, I was filtering all web pages through Proxomitron, which was designed to use pipelining, according to its author, and it did make things more efficient. With Mac OS, I found pipelining was no advantage at all, and disabled it. It depends on circumstances whether pipelining is any help or not.
RupertSodwind

Post by RupertSodwind »

Well, that's enough for me.
Having wasted a deal of time attempting to fix FF 6 I'm now ditching it.
Chrome. Google Chrome, Safari and IE all work 'straight from the box'. I don't have the time or inclination to mess around with buggy software so it's going.
I've been using for years up till now and it's always been my browser of choice but the affair is over.
I'll maybe try it again in the future but for now, when I want to access the WWW, I'll use tools that work - life is too short.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy RupertSodwind,

while it may sound sarcastic to some, i'm glad you _can_ get around the problem. as you pointed out, there are other - and better - things to do with your time. [*grin*] i've not had your problems, but i certainly understand your frustration.

take care,
lee
Heppsann

Post by Heppsann »

Sorry to necro this thread but I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem, it's present both in FF 6 and 7 and that going back to FF 5 solves the issue.

Thanks.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Thanks for the "report" but it would be more helpful if you could try to various trouble-shooting methods such as Safe Mode or creating a new profile, running a full AV scan, temporarily disabling your AV and Firewall, etc.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yes, because the tweaks that Fasterfox does are known to cause connection problems. Specifically the network.http.pipelining tweak can cause pages to not load or partially load. The default settings of Firefox are tuned to load pages as fast as possible, there's no logical reason to believe they would purposefully cripple the browser, especially considering the current browser wars craze. I would recommend uninstalling FasterFox and go into about:config and search for "pipelining" and right-click each entry and select "Reset" to restore them to the factory settings.

i have tried (many moons ago) & uninstalled fasterfox. some settings seem persistant even with it uninstalled.

in my case, the pipelining settings somehow got into user.js and about:config, while seeming to allow it, doesn't seem to record the change as it reverts to true again on startup. i manually edited user.js with firefox not running, changed the pipelining items from true to false and restarted ff, seems OK now. at least the pipelining settings stay 'false'.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy kronckew,

user.js is NOT written by firefox. so any changes made in firefox would be lost when restarting ff. that is the entire purpose of the user.js file. [*grin*] changes made in firefox are saved in the prefs.js file.

that difference is by intent and very useful. it's also danged annoying when i forget that i set stuff in the user.js file ...

"why won't this rot go away!?!?!?!?! ... oh, right. never mind!" [*blush*]

take care,
lee
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

yup, no tellin' when i did that, i get all experimental at times. and my mind ain't what it used to be. of course way back then, it wasn't what it used to be either ;)

y'all be good too.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

kronckew wrote:yup, no tellin' when i did that, i get all experimental at times. and my mind ain't what it used to be. of course way back then, it wasn't what it used to be either ;)

y'all be good too.

[*grin*]
tekflight

Post by tekflight »

I nearly tore my hair out over that. In my case although pages would load in SeaMonkey, they would not in any version of Firefox. The blank page that I got showed a source that was just the page header. Solution was to de-activate my AVG link scanner in the AVG anti-virus program. Now why SeaMonkey works and Firefox (or Opera) don't is a great question.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."