Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection-Anyone familiar with this?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
zoolander

Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection-Anyone familiar with this?

Post by zoolander »

Anyone know if this is any good? I don't do programing but thought it may be good to have on my computer.

Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection
http://utilu.com/UtiluMFC/

Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection is a utility developed by Utilu
that contains multiple versions of the free web browser Mozilla Firefox, which are standalone so they can be used at the same time. This is useful for web developers.

Mozilla Firefox is a registered trademark of the Mozilla Foundation.
Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection

* Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20
* Mozilla Firefox 3.0.19.0
* Mozilla Firefox 3.5.19.0
* Mozilla Firefox 3.6.23.0
* Mozilla Firefox 4.0.1.0
* Mozilla Firefox 5.0.1.0
* Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2.0
* Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1.0
* Mozilla Firefox 8.0.0.0 beta 1
* Mozilla Firefox 9.0.0.0 Aurora
* Mozilla Firefox 10.0.0.0 Nightly
KWierso

Re: Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection-Anyone familiar with th

Post by KWierso »

Or you could just use the portable versions of each of the browsers.
Or install each version into a separate folder on the hard drive, use separate profiles for each one, and start them up with the -no-remote flag.
zoolander

Post by zoolander »

KWierso wrote:Or you could just use the portable versions of each of the browsers.
Or install each version into a separate folder on the hard drive, use separate profiles for each one, and start them up with the -no-remote flag.

Thanks. I did not know about the Portable Option.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A major problem with Firefox Portable is that you can't run multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously from command line as with the official versions of Firefox. The Firefox Portable versions can't use the -no-remote command line argument, you need to reset an internal pref for that command. http://portableapps.com/forums/support/firefox_portable

I have never heard of that Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection before, much less used it myself. If you need to have multiple versions of Firefox installed, it might be worth a try, but if you aren't a developer I really can't see the point. From reading at the website it seems to have many features for web developers already built in which would take a lot of time to duplicate for each version of Firefox that you want to install.

It interests me, but not enough to risk the possibility of losing what I already have installed - many dozens of hours spent over the last year setting up multiple Firefox versions after installing a different operating system in July 2010. I currently have more versions of Firefox installed than are what Utilu offers, plus I have at least 2 different Profiles for each version, and with the newer versions of Firefox, 3 to 5 Profiles. I saw no mention made of its' ability to handle multiple Profiles for each version.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
zoolander

Post by zoolander »

the-edmeister wrote:A major problem with Firefox Portable is that you can't run multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously from command line as with the official versions of Firefox. The Firefox Portable versions can't use the -no-remote

Thank you. I read up on the portable version and it seems to be to much of a pain in the but for me to deal with.

What I would like to have is around 3-4 version on my computer. Then I will always have a reliable one to use if updates on another cause trouble. I am using 3.6.3 right now and am happy with it. I want to install the latest version also and the Beta. Is there away to install all my add-ons at once instead of having to download each add-on? Wound be nice to have a link to a thread or webpage with a good tutorial on how to set up more than one version.

Take Care :)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Fairly easy to install multiple versions using B. in the article linked below, the trick it to have separate Profiles for each version that you have installed.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2249039

Other than setting up your own "collection" of extensions at AMO, I can't think of an easy way to install a group of extensions all at once or for all versions / Profiles of Firefox that you have installed. The old trick that I used with Firefox 3.6 and earlier, where I just drag a bunch of extensions that I had saved to a folder on my hard drive into the Profile's \extensions\ folder and then started Firefox to have them install all at once, doesn;t work any longer with the 4+ versions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/
I have never setup a collection for myself, so I don't know how well it works.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
zoolander

Post by zoolander »

the-edmeister wrote: Other than setting up your own "collection" of extensions at AMO, I can't think of an easy way to install a group of extensions all at once or for all versions / Profiles of Firefox that you have installed.

Thank you. That is very helpful!