FF going not downhill, fast. Slow memory hog.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Night Wing

Re: FF going downhill, fast. Slow memory hog.

Post by Night Wing »

I don't worry about memory leakage that much. Although my computer running Windows 7-64 bit was bought in June of 2010, it came with plenty of memory, 16 gigabytes so I've got plenty. It's just that I can open Firefox in the morning, have it sit on my home start page and do nothing, then the memory leakage starts and basically it never stops and it just keeps losing more and more memory. When I open Firefox in the morning with no tabs open, I like to open my Task Manager and check the memory. Starting from 48 MB, I've seen it as high as 300 MB when I checked the Task Manager. If I don't use my computer for another hour, I would bet it would be around 500 MB. It shouldn't be constantly losing memory.

If FF developers say with MemShrink (or whatever they call it) they've solved the problem of memory leakage starting with FF 7, that isn't a true statement. They haven't even slowed it down. Memory leakage now is just as bad as it's always been and that goes back to FF 2 when I first started using Firefox.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Night WIng, you've got something else running there. If it's just sitting there gaining memory, then something is wrong. Could be a Web site, or an extension. Did you know Web sites can allocate memory on your computer?

Give us something to go on. Like a URL. Describe the problem clearly and we can check it out. But my crystal ball is cloudy and I can't see your computer.
Night Wing

Post by Night Wing »

When I start my computer up in the morning and after it's loaded everything up, when I open my FF 7.0.1 browser, it brings up my home page which is:

http://www.my.myway.com/
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't see any problem with that page. Mine is rock steady on 74 MB, although I'm using a different OS. But 300 MB seems normal considering that you have 16 GB. I have exactly 1 GB -- and by the way, it works flawlessly. Unless you can tell us that you have some sort of actual performance problem....

It's normal for memory to increase slowly as more and more garbage gets loaded and Web sites churn. You could have bookmarks that are updated, etc.

Post by Guest »

Night Wing wrote:If FF developers say with MemShrink (or whatever they call it) they've solved the problem of memory leakage starting with FF 7, that isn't a true statement. They haven't even slowed it down. Memory leakage now is just as bad as it's always been and that goes back to FF 2 when I first started using Firefox.

Do you think that basing that conclusion on just your experience is the right way to judge what is true or not for 350+ million users? Especially, as you've had the same problem since Firefox 2.

Night Wing wrote:I don't worry about memory leakage that much..

No, just pop up on thread after thread and mention it again and again. Then when called, write that it doesn't bother you and mention your 16gb of RAM...again.

@ VanillaMozilla - good luck with troubleshooting the 'Scarlet Pimpernel' ...it'll be like pulling teeth :)
Night Wing

Re: FF going not downhill, fast. Slow memory hog.

Post by Night Wing »

Guest,

Firefox has been a memory hog starting with version 2. And for those 350 million users who have been using Firefox since version 2 and continuing on with versions 3, 4, 5, 6 and now 7, they know it too. One of the cons with Firefox has been memory leakage and it's well known even among the developers who build Firefox.

Now, I mention my 16 gigs of memory because the people that help others on here with the Firefox problems will usually ask what your operating system is, whether it's 32 or 64 bit, how much memory, etc. Now if you don't like me mentioning it, that's too bad for you because I don't need to get your approval beforehand on what I type.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Memory usage is NOT memory leakage.

You have 16 GB of RAM. Use it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Don't feed the troll :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's probably time to lock this thread, as it's becoming just another memory troll hangout, and it's wasting people's time. It's hard to identify a support issue, and this IS the support forum.

If there was any vestigial support issue, it's been kind of highjacked by Night Wing, who complains of memory use, but apparently doesn't have an actual problem. I could be mistaken about that, Night Wing, but you can always start another thread and describe your symptoms carefully. We'll be happy to help if you have any symptoms and want to do some troubleshooting.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Yeah, I guess so. Disappointed with FF, please start a new thread if you want help. Night Wing-- a friendly warning against hijacking threads this time. Do it again and the next warning won't be friendly.

Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."