Firefox 7.0.1 hangs and freezes all the time Windows 7

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox 7.0.1 hangs and freezes all the time Windows 7

Post by malliz »

Did you actually read the instructions properly? Try changing network.http.max-connections to 48
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DamhertGent

Post by DamhertGent »

I have the same annoying problem and tried everything (browsing in save mode, changing max-connections to 48, disabling add-ons,...) to no avail.
I'm not planning to go trough a series of reinstalls. It conflicts with my notion of user friendly apps and need my time to spend in other ways. If I find notice anywhere that this bug is fixed I might consider using Firefox again. For now I'll switch to an other browser.
Damhert

Post by Damhert »

I have the same annoying problem and tried everything (browsing in save mode, changing max-connections to 48, disabling add-ons,...) to no avail.
I'm not planning to go trough a series of reinstalls. It conflicts with my notion of user friendly apps and I need my time to spend in other ways. If I find notice anywhere that this bug is fixed I might consider using Firefox again. For now I'll switch to an other browser.
Onest

Post by Onest »

I have the same problem as described on two machines (Vista and XP). For some time now I've been blaming the internet connection, so the problem is not really as recent as it seems and probably goes back to FF version 6 (now on version 7). I'm a long term user of FF and have not experienced any similar problem with earlier versions.

It appears that pages fail to load, but another machine using IE is OK. There may only be one or two tabs used. Googlemail is generally open (same issue with this tab too). FF will not close; once the window is closed it is not possible to start a new session as FF is still running according to the error dialogue (need to use task manager to end the FF process). Have tried the suggested fixes, but no improvement. In the time the problem has become apparent there has been no significant changes to the environment so it does seem to be a problem with the browser itself.

The problem occurs very frequently (increased probability the longer the session has been running). My guess is that there are a lot of users with the same problem and like me contemplating the alternatives. Does anyone know if there is a corresponding Bug that can be tracked for a fix?
imajakov

Post by imajakov »

I might have discovered the solution without starting over with all your places and bookmarks.

Right after i installed 7.0.1 over a week ago,every 10-30 min When i would be watching videos online, it would freeze for 20-30 seconds. Firefox would say ( Not responding) both Firefox and the plugin container process would be very large memory files. I tried to go back to Firefox 5.0. No avail it would still freeze.I tried to disable the plugin container . no good. I tried to adjust memory or cache or plugin settings in “about:config”.Nothing fixed it!

I finally discovered why my Firefox 7.01 was periodic hanging fix. It is something to do with some of your personal files. download this this add on and install it
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... intenance/

or you can Google "places maintenance Firefox"

After you install the add on, restart Firefox.go to "tools", then "add ons" and then click “extensions” tab click options on the places maintenance. choose "ALL' or just "expire" and hit "execute", then wait until its done., restart Firefox. should be fine then and all my bookmarks, customizations ,settings, and history stays untouched!

After i did this my Firefox did not freeze once for over 3 days straight. Might not work for everyone. I already read thaqt Mozilla is aware of the problem and are working on a fix it in the full version of 8( the 8 beta did not fix the problem for me) . But they said this is a good temporary fix at least,( might be permanent)

For me at least ,Firefox works fine in 7 now. perfect actually.And many people i saw on similar forums had similar problems.

Enjoy. Hope this helped
Katmandu

Post by Katmandu »

probie wrote:For me, the one machine that I have problems (lots) with Firefox is my laptop.
It hangs a lots with Firefox and with 7.0.1, it is a lot worst. I use opera or chrome
most of the time now.

For 7.0.1 to work, the only solution that seems to work for me is disable the plugin container.

http://www.epagini.com/2010/07/how-to-d ... r-firefox/
Well, add me to the long list of disgruntled FF 7.01 upgrade users.

I've done all the above and my FF 7.01 STILL HANGS! ](*,)

I'm a long time user of FF, experienced in IT. I simply no longer have the time to Research and implement all of FF COMPLICATED work arounds.

As Steven Colbert would say... "Here's a Wag of the Finger for you!" [-X
Last edited by LoudNoise on October 14th, 2011, 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed un-necessary colourising & bolding.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Er, there are no developers on this website. This is a user to user support forum. We don't appreciate you yelling at us.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Edited your post. Daifne warned you about language in your first post.

Just noticed that two moderators have edited your post. Good start.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Katmandu

Post by Katmandu »

Daifne wrote:Er, there are no developers on this website. This is a user to user support forum. We don't appreciate you yelling at us.
If your not a developer then my comment was not directed towards you.

Many people share my views and frustrations with FF 7.01.

BTW, feces is not one of the 7 words you can not say on television and is not a cuss word by any means. Lighten up people. :roll:
Damhert

Post by Damhert »

I'm happy to share that imajakov's solution works for me as well.
Last edited by Damhert on October 18th, 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not all of us have the attention span of a gnat so there is no need to quote a post on the same page.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The suggestion was that you set it to 48.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ugain98

Post by ugain98 »

After you install the add on, restart Firefox.go to "tools", then "add ons" and then click “extensions” tab click options on the places maintenance. choose "ALL' or just "expire" and hit "execute", then wait until its done., restart Firefox. should be fine then and all my bookmarks, customizations ,settings, and history stays untouched!

FF has been plaguing me with these type issue for awhile now. I'm on 7.01 as well and went ahead with this suggestion above but there isn't an Option button ..... just a Remove button. Anybody have a clue as to why this might be?

Extremely Frystrated :evil:

Ugain98
theOracleMan

Post by theOracleMan »

I have similar issues - firefox hangs constantly - I found that I have to load twice to get it to work(Load close and load again).

My firefox actually causes blue screen crashes. I have the added advantage of having an NVidia gpu - which is prone to be upset at minor problems.

Once it works - it works fine.
BenevolentD

Post by BenevolentD »

This won't be the fix for every firefox 7.0.1 hang on the planet but I finally found the fix for me. Apparently these hangs are caused by flash having a problem with "non-standard fonts". However, a fixed version of flash has already been released and you can download it here.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer11-2/