NoSquint or equivalent available yet?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
R.N. Folsom

NoSquint or equivalent available yet?

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Has an equivalent to the NoSquint extension been added yet to SeaMonkey versions beyond 2.0.14?

Roger Folsom
unbegrenzt

Re: NoSquint or equivalent available yet?

Post by unbegrenzt »

R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

unbegrenzt wrote:I don't remember the limits on this http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#nosquint

unbegrenzt:

The limits don't mention SeaMonkey 2.x (x > 0). I'm still using SM 2.0.14 because it runs NoSquint. (Incidentally, on SM 2.0.x, NoSquint doesn't need xSidebar, as noted at the top of the link you provided.)

When SeaMonkey SM 2.x (x > 0) first came out, somewhere on MozillaZine (I now can't locate where) I read that NoSquint, ported by Philip Chee from Firefox to SeaMonkey 1.x and 2.0.x, did not work on SM 2.x (x > 0), and in private correspondence with me Philip Chee confirmed that. He said also that he was very busy with other projects and did not know when (or if) he would have time to port NoSquint to SM 2.x (x > 0).

The differences between SM 2.0.14 and SM 2.x (x > 0) are many and huge (judging from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/screenshots and MozillaZine discussions, e.g. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2239337), so I suspect that porting the latest Firefox NoSquint extension to SM 2.x (x > 0) would be a major project.

Nevertheless, I have hoped that in the many new SeaMonkey versions beyond 2.0.14, someone might have added NoSquint's abillity to enlarge text (using Ctrl+Shift++) without enlarging graphics, thereby making it possible to easily enlarge text (or decrease it, using Ctrl+Shift+-) without enlarging or contracting the display on the window --- a feature that is very useful on a laptop 15" UXGA (1600 x 1200 very small pixels) screen.

Roger Folsom

Post by 19321 »

I have Nosquint 1.93.2.1 installed in SM 2.4 but don't remember if it was a simple install, or whether tweaking was needed
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

19321 wrote:I have Nosquint 1.93.2.1 installed in SM 2.4 but don't remember if it was a simple install, or whether tweaking was needed

Thank you!

Here's hoping that someone else reading this thread has installed NoSquint 1.93.2.1 (which is what I am using in SM 2.0.14) in SM 2.4, and remembers how they did it!

Roger Folsom
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

R.N. Folsom wrote:NoSquint's abillity to enlarge text (using Ctrl+Shift++) without enlarging graphics,

Did you try Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Content, check "Zoom only text instead of full pages"? That should switch off the full-page zoom function.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

19321 wrote:I have Nosquint 1.93.2.1 installed in SM 2.4 but don't remember if it was a simple install, or whether tweaking was needed

I have Seamonkey 2.4.1 installed and tried the Nosquint 1.93.2.1 and it did not work. It came up with a box that said that it could not download to that version of Seamonkey. I sure would like to install Nosquint since it is a vision saver for us with the larger screen laptops. If you can remember what you did to get it to work, I sure would like your advise.

Doing, "Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Content, check "Zoom only text instead of full pages", does not really work well when you are opening up new windows and such in Seamonkey...it reverts back each time. Nosquint works all the time whether it's opening with new tabs or opening new windows.

Hopefully, Philip Chee can save our vision? Please? Pretty please?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Like Firefox, SeaMonkey now keeps track of the zoom levels on a per-site basis. You can switch that off in the "Content" preferences as well, it will be reset to 100% after restart (or maybe even in a new window).

A crude solution is to set zoom.minPercent (in about:config) to something larger than 100 (this only works with "Remeber zoom levels on a per-site basis" checked, I think). All new tabs or windows open with that zoom level then.

Post by 19321 »

Redbugdave wrote:I have Seamonkey 2.4.1 installed and tried the Nosquint 1.93.2.1 and it did not work.

install 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/

right click on http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mo ... .1-mod.xpi
click Save Link As

right click on nosquint-1.93.2.1-mod.xpi (the file that you just saved )
click 7zip
click Open Archive

right click on install.rdf
click Edit

near the bottom of the list, where it says <em:maxVersion>2.1.*</em:maxVersion>
change that to <em:maxVersion>*.*</em:maxVersion>

Save the changes.
and "Do you want to update it in the archive?" .... click OK

( you can now install the Add-on as you would any regular add-on )
(( this set of instructions has not been checked for errors ))

Post by Guest »

that's Firefox language

in Seamonkey it's Save Link Target
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Thank You! I will certainly download it tonight! You don't know how much this helps!
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Just an update...
Guest, It took a few tries at following the instructions...but I bumbled through...and got NoSquint configured and installed. I just wanted to again express my appreciation for your reply and instructions. Thank you and HURRAY!

Post by Guest »

you're welcome . =D> . good to hear that it's working
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

Redbugdave wrote:Just an update...
Guest, It took a few tries at following the instructions...but I bumbled through...and got NoSquint configured and installed. I just wanted to again express my appreciation for your reply and instructions. Thank you and HURRAY!
You didn't tell us, if it's working. I suppose, it doesn't. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2253413
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Hello Mc.,

I read the other thread you posted on NoSquint. You may be right, I don't know. I am not a programmer...just a bumbling user. All I can say is I am satisified with the results. I guess I can uninstall the install and see if there is a difference. I don't think I will though, since now it works like the older version of SM with NoSquint installed. I did notice that the Nosquint menu no longer comes up when you want to access it like it used to. So, you may have something, there.

For me, now it's working so I can see my screen and I ain't going to mess it up, now. If you guys get it fixed better, I may uninstall and install the newer NoSquint, though. Just let us know.

Dave