WEIRD: emails send to CraigsList ads not going thru

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ledrocnoc

WEIRD: emails send to CraigsList ads not going thru

Post by Ledrocnoc »

This is happening running Thunderbird 7.0.1 on Windows 7 (Ultimate), MacOS X and Windows XP.

I have been replying to Craig's List ads using Thrunderbird forever and recently I started getting no replies to my emails. So I poked around and all my experiments seem to point to a problem between Thunderbird and Craig's List anonymizer remailer.

Here is what I did:

- Created an post on Craig's List.

- Using a number computers and operating systems (Windows 7, MacOS X, Windows XP), I replied to my ad using Thunderbird 7.0.1 as the email client. I NEVER received any answer.

- To make sure it wasn't a problem with my ad, I replied to it through using other mail clients (Android on my mobile phone, web interface for my regular mail account) and I received my reply to my craigslist post almost immediately. I also tried through my yahoo account and it worked like a charm.

- To make sure that Thunderbird was actually sending the email, I replied to my craigslist ad and cc'ed myself on the email. I received the "cc" email but never the "To" email.

So, my experiments seems to rule out:

- My craig's list post (since I can receive replies to my post when replied through Yahoo mail)

- My email provider / server (since I can reply to my Craigslist post through my regular email provider webmail interface)

What else?

This is just the weirdest... Any suggestion of other things to try?

Thanks.
LoudNoise

Re: WEIRD: emails send to CraigsList ads not going thru

Post by LoudNoise »

Can you list the link to the ad? I have a throwaway email I can use.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

LoudNoise wrote:Can you list the link to the ad? I have a throwaway email I can use.

Thanks. Here is an ad I just created and tested (still doesn't work with Tbird but works through Yahoo).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2664947714.html
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I just sent a reply from the support address of the firm I work for. While I am going out in a few minutes post here if you get it it. I am using the current version of Tbird.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

LoudNoise wrote:I just sent a reply from the support address of the firm I work for. While I am going out in a few minutes post here if you get it it. I am using the current version of Tbird.

Thanks. Nothing so far.

Could you try to create yourself a CL post and reply to it using TBird as well as another mail client and see if it works or not?
\guest

Post by \guest »

I am having the same problem using latest version of Thunderbird under Win 7 Ultimate for the past few weeks. I was using Thunderbird as an alternate after finding using a Kmail client under Fedora 13 had similar intermittent problems which appeared linked to the length of reply in particular quoted content. On the Fedora system it appeared all mail clients were unreliable in replying to Craigslist ads. I couldn't determine what their parameters for black holing messages. I believe the problem with Craigslist is more than just an issue with Thunderbird.
weltronus

Post by weltronus »

I am using Thunderbird 7.0.1 and having the same problem. Is it the TB or is it the Craigslist?
I send a complaint to Craigslist, but I do not think they will reply.
car2slw

Post by car2slw »

i've been having this same problem recently! no matter which email account I send from using Thunderbird, they don't seem to get to the seller. But they don't send from the Gmail web interface either. it's really weird, I only have one att.net email address that works for replying to ads on craigslist, but since it's through yahoo I can't access it with Thunderbird IMAP....really weird....
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"but since it's through yahoo I can't access it with Thunderbird IMAP....really weird...."

Yahoo has a free IMAP server that works with Thunderbird. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo