Thunderbird for Android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
nutfieldnutter

Thunderbird for Android

Post by nutfieldnutter »

Will there be a version of Thunderbird for Android? I'm happy to use google mail to get my emails at the moment, but at some point it might be nice to use Thunderbird instead!
Life is a game; Cycling is serious
James

Re: Thunderbird for Android

Post by James »

There are not even any test versions yet I believe for any mobile OS. The Firefox mobile builds (Fennec) is separate development as it is not really the same as Firefox version for Window/Linux/Mac that people are familiar with so it is not a matter of just building Thunderbird for to work on Android 2.*.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Thunderbird for Android would be cool though. The infrastructure is in place for the UI.
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

None that I know of, have filed a bug for it[1] so, the idea should be out there and in peoples ears before soon. That said, the Thunderbird team is quite small, so if it gets off the ground any time soon or not is a whole other matter.

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680080
cristorb

Post by cristorb »

this would be awesome to have on my android im crossing my fingers on this.
mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Hi

Does anyone have synchronisation problems with Thunderbird for Android?

Thanks

Michael Pfeiffer
Last edited by mpfeiffer on November 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Mpfeiffer-
Removed the commercial link.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mickeyj4j

Post by mickeyj4j »

shmerl wrote:I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?

yes there is already portable Thunderbird for windows platforms at http://www.protableapps.com the portable apps suite is great runs from a flashdrive on all windows installs truly independent of the os. portable apps suite also runs in linux with wine installed. and on mac to.
Last edited by mickeyj4j on November 3rd, 2011, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickeyj4j

Post by mickeyj4j »

mpfeiffer wrote:Hi

Does anyone have synchronisation problems with Thunderbird for Android?

Thanks

Michael Pfeiffer

there is no thunderbird for android yet so we cant have sincronise problems can we. if you have thunderbird in android how and where did you get it from.
James

Post by James »

mickeyj4j wrote:
shmerl wrote:I'd say Mobile Thunderbird would be cool, not just for Android. Are there any actual plans to make such a project?

yes there is already portable Thunderbird for windows platforms at http://www.protableapps.com the portable apps suite is great runs from a flashdrive on all windows installs truly independent of the os. portable apps suite also runs in linux with wine installed. and on mac to.

That is still the desktop version of Thunderbird. He was asking for a mobile Thunderbird that was the equivalent of the mobile Firefox (Fennac) for Android and Maemo/Meego.
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks for posting this issue. One of the most useful (IMHO) things about the ipad/iphone/mac/itouch is the ability to move files effortlessly from one to another. If someone were to create an app that would use tbird datafiles I wouldn't mind if it didn't have the same functionality as tbird. It is so frustrating using the same email/address/phone, etc in different programs and having to convert.
We love because He first loved us.
1 Jn 4:19
Come see "my kids" at www.hischopsticks.org
orizng

Post by orizng »

If resource is available, its a good idea. If not, then focus on firefox now.
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

yes...ff is a great browser and should be on every electronic device that accesses the internet :)
We love because He first loved us.
1 Jn 4:19
Come see "my kids" at www.hischopsticks.org
stevne

Post by stevne »

I'm seriously considering a tablet PC.. Android operating system.. Currently, Thunderbird is my mail client of choice, and seeings how there seems to be a void in the Android market place for an incredible mail client like Thunderbird, I think Mozilla would dominate if/when it comes out with their suite of products. ie Firefox, Thunderbird/Lightning, Sunbird.. I for one would be Very grateful....