NoSquint or equivalent available yet?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite

Re: NoSquint or equivalent available yet?

Post by 19321 »

Redbugdave wrote: the Nosquint menu no longer comes up when you want to access it like it used to.

do you mean you can't reach the Menu at all?

click Tools
click Add-ons Manager
click the Extensions "horizontal tab"
click the Options button
therube

Post by therube »

Yes you can reach the menu that way.
But that is all that happens (AFAICT), any settings made are ineffectual.

Error console shows:

Code: Select all

Error: NoSquint.TLDs is null
Source File: chrome://nosquint/content/nosquint.js
Line: 414

414:

if (NoSquint.TLDs[level3])

So it seems to me, it cannot determine "domains" (at the least)?

/* Given a FQDN, returns only the base domain, and honors two-level TLDs.
     * So for example, www.foo.bar.com returns bar.com, or www.foo.bar.co.uk
     * returns bar.co.uk.
     */
    getBaseDomainFromHost: function(host) {
        if (host.match(/^[\d.]+$/) != null)
            // IP address.
            return host;

var parts = host.split('.');
        var level2 = parts.slice(-2).join('.');
        var level3 = parts.slice(-3).join('.');
        if (NoSquint.TLDs[level3])
            return parts.slice(-4).join('.');
        else if (NoSquint.TLDs[level2])
            return level3;
        return level2;
    },
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Post by Guest »

which version of NoScript are you talking about?

Post by Guest »

which version of NoSquint are you talking about?
therube

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Post by Guest »

The menu I mentioned that did not come up as it should have was the NoSquint menu. You know how you click on the lower right of the screen on the toolbar...NoSquint has the icon. Clicking on the icon should bring up the menu. But it does not...
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Oh I forgot...that was me, (Redbugdave), that posted above...

Post by Guest »

therube wrote:Yes you can reach the menu that way.
But that is all that happens (AFAICT), any settings made are ineffectual.

the last time that you could make changes take effect, was in SM 2.0.14
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

This has become a long thread, and I don't understand most of it, but I think (but am not sure) that the bottom line is: No NoSquint version --- neither the one (1.93.2.1) that Philip Chee ported from Firefox to SeaMonkey 2.0.14 and below, nor any one designed for Firefox --- will work on any SeaMonkey higher than version 2.0.14.

Is that statement correct?

If it is wrong, could someone summarize what NoSquint version can be used in the current SeaMonkey version 2.4.1 (and up), and where to get it and how to install it and get it to work? If that information is in this thread, it is fairly thoroughly scattered among posts.

Roger Folsom (aka ignoramus)

Post by Guest »

NoSquint 1.93.2.1 can be installed in SM 2.4.1 after you make the changes shown earlier.

Once installed , you cannot change the Settings , because the menu to get to the settings, does not work
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Guest wrote:NoSquint 1.93.2.1 can be installed in SM 2.4.1 after you make the changes shown earlier.
Once installed , you cannot change the Settings, because the menu to get to the settings, does not work

Thanks.

What I am looking for is the ability that I have now (in SM 2.0.14 with NoSquint 1.93.2.1) to zoom (enlarge or contract) a particular site using Ctrl++ and Ctrl+-, and enlarge or contract that particular site's text alone using Ctrl+Shift++ or Ctrl+Shift+-. Alternately, I can change the settings using the menu in the lower right corner of the screen, but that's less important to me because it's much less convenient.

Are the Settings that cannot be changed the zoom settings that enlarge or contract everything, or the text settings that enlarge or contract only the text, or both?

When I read that once the necessary preparations in SM 2.4.1 to install NoSquint 1.93.2.1 are complete and NoSquint 1.93.2.1 is installed, the settings cannot be changed, does that mean
a) that the settings become identical for every website, or
b) that the settings can differ for every website, but that the settings for a particular website are permanent?

And since websites often have multiple pages (I may be using the wrong wording here), settings for one page may be inappropriate for another page (that's especially true at Charles Schwab), and if settings can't be changed when you move from page to page that could be a major problem.

Roger Folsom (aka badly confused ignoramus)

P.S. If anyone reading this knows which posts in this thread contain the latest changes in SM 2.x (x > 0) that must precede installing NoScript 1.93.2.1, that information would be very helpful for running one or more experiments on a spare computer that I have.

Post by Guest »

R.N. Folsom wrote:When I read that once the necessary preparations in SM 2.4.1 to install NoSquint 1.93.2.1 are complete and NoSquint 1.93.2.1 is installed, the settings cannot be changed, does that mean
a) that the settings become identical for every website,
    you can have NYTimes zoomed Large in tab A, Washington Post zoomed Small in tab B.
    restart SM, and tab A will still be large, tab B small.
or b) that the settings can differ for every website, but that the settings for a particular website are permanent?
    you can change the zoom for each site.

And since websites often have multiple pages (I may be using the wrong wording here), settings for one page may be inappropriate for another page (that's especially true at Charles Schwab), and if settings can't be changed when you move from page to page that could be a major problem.
    probably cannot define any new settings, because the Menu doesn't work.

Post by Guest »

No, you don't make any change in SM. You make this change in NoSquint, so that it can be installed in SM.

right click on http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mo ... .1-mod.xpi
click Save Link Target

right click on nosquint-1.93.2.1-mod.xpi (the file that you just saved )
click 7zip
click Open Archive

right click on install.rdf
click Edit

near the bottom of the list, where it says <em:maxVersion>2.1.*</em:maxVersion>
change that to <em:maxVersion>*.*</em:maxVersion>

close the window, and Save the changes.
and "Do you want to update it in the archive?" .... click OK

( you can now install the Add-on as you would any regular add-on )
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

R.N. Folsom wrote:This has become a long thread, and I don't understand most of it, but I think (but am not sure) that the bottom line is: No NoSquint version --- neither the one (1.93.2.1) that Philip Chee ported from Firefox to SeaMonkey 2.0.14 and below, nor any one designed for Firefox --- will work on any SeaMonkey higher than version 2.0.14.

Is that statement correct?

Yes.

Guest wrote:No, you don't make any change in SM. You make this change in NoSquint, so that it can be installed in SM.

Why install a not working extension?
therube

Post by therube »

> Why install a not working extension?

Because it can be done?

NoSquint does NOT work in SeaMonkey >= 2.1.