Blink and marquee

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
jss

Blink and marquee

Post by jss »

Who is responsible for the (blink) and (marquee) in the comments section? It is awful and <blink>distracting</blink>. I can't read posts with a blinking moving text bar at the bottom of the screen. Thanks, Jeremy
Balboa

Re: Blink and marquee

Post by Balboa »

jss wrote:Who is responsible for the (blink) and (marquee) in the comments section? It is awful and <blink>distracting</blink>. I can't read posts with a blinking moving text bar at the bottom of the screen. Thanks, Jeremy

Heh, just noticed that. On a related note, user_pref("browser.display.enable_marquee", false); didn't seem to have an effect in Phoenix (20021128). Fortunately editing userContent.css had the required effect: http://mozilla.weebeastie.net/marquee.shtml

(user_pref("browser.blink_allowed", false); worked ok)
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

Yes, but having to edit a config. file is hardly the solution. This does, in fact make the comments pages almost unreadable.
Balboa

Post by Balboa »

Surely it's the best solution? If you're so sensitive to blink and marquee, IMHO disabling them on your browser is much easier than emailing/messaging every website you might visit, that uses them?

(I too dislike them - and now I never have to see them again!)
tve

Post by tve »

nowadays only a minority of webmasters use these tags, mainly low-quality sites which I dont visit anyway :D
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

Balboa wrote:Surely it's the best solution? If you're so sensitive to blink and marquee, IMHO disabling them on your browser is much easier than emailing/messaging every website you might visit, that uses them?

Yes, I am aware of that, and have in fact edited my home config files to do just that. But where I am now, I hadn't previously had any need to edit the files. This is no excuse for Mozillazine to use blink and marquee in the comments system. It looks awful, distracts from the page, annoys the user and is viewed by many people as netscape/microsoft proprietry (despite the position of 'blink' in the html and css specs).

The same empahsis could be acheived by having the text in red, for example (of course, really it should use em or strong + css, but this isn't the thread to talk about mozillazine not using semantic markup). This would have the added advantage of allowing the authors to think about what they were writing, not about the distracting text.

The fact that editing your css or prefs files is being suggested as a 'solution' indicates that there really is a problem with using this sort of effect. It is, obviously, the long term, 'power user' solution but is no excuse for such an important site in the mozilla (and by proxy, standards) community to use this kind of markup.
Last edited by jgraham on December 4th, 2002, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Re: Blink and marquee

Post by Alex Bishop »

jss wrote:Who is responsible for the (blink) and (marquee) in the comments section? It is awful and <blink>distracting</blink>.

Wasn't me. :-)
Alex
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

nowadays only a minority of webmasters use these tags, mainly low-quality sites which I dont visit anyway icon_biggrin.gif

Like MozillaZine.org
Racer

Post by Racer »

vote_llama MozillaZine "for putting marquee/blink on reply forms"
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

The blinquee is gone

Post by Alex Bishop »

The blinking marquee has been removed. Life can return back to normal.
Alex
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

jgraham wrote:It looks awful, distracts from the page, annoys the user and is viewed by many people as netscape/microsoft proprietry (despite the position of 'blink' in the html and css specs).

To add to the fun I'd like to mention that CSS 3 will not just retain blink but also expand to include marquee :D
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Muahahahahahha!

Quit yer bitching.

jason