Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Leopoldus

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by Leopoldus »

mad.engineer wrote:Would it make sense to have someone who has the TB KB account and willing to create page that simply lists all the most commonly MT options used and their corresponding alternatives (if available)?. That would help everyone greatly :-)

+1!!! Surely it would help a lot.

I used Mail Tweak much for tags handling. I have more than 20 color tags and with Mail Tweak it was not problem at all to work with them fast and comfortably. But now I have really headache with tags, because TB 7.0.1 functionality regarding tags is far from old true MT options :cry:
Does anybody knows some another extensions with more or less similar (I don't even hope to get the same) capabilities?
Thanks!
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mad.engineer,

yes, it would help. here's where to make the request for a KB article. you will get more response if you provide a preliminary list. [*grin*]
Knowledge Base - Help, Feedback, Requests

notice my lazy self not volunteering ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Leopoldus,

i use this tag extension ...
Tag Toolbar

it lets me use a large set of tags and only show the ones i really use a lot. the others are still available, but not on the toolbar. handy, that. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Lee_Dailey wrote:i use this tag extension ...
Tag Toolbar

Thank you for a hint Lee_Dailey! From the description and user manual it seems, that the tool is quite mighty, may be even more, than Mail Tweak was.
But my problem is that I'm a keyboard guy and don't use mouse a lot. Mail Tweak had a great option to assign color tags by simply pressing a keyboard key. Yes, TB itself offers the same functionality natively... but with an essential restriction: you can use keyboard numbers only for tags 1 till 9. Mail Tweak supports 2-digits tags assigning as well, say, if you needed to assign a tag nr 18, you could quickly tap keys 1 and then 8. For those, who works a lot with many different tags, it was a fantastic solution.

Seems, that Tag Toolbar does not support this option. May be some other actual extension? Thanks!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Leopoldus,

you are welcome! [*grin*]

if you want something added to the extension, you may be able to get the author to add it. since you have both a well understood description AND an old extension that does what you want, you might have some luck. the author of tag toolbar is pretty active as you can see from his website.

i have never seen any other tag extension that allowed two digit selectors. ask, it can't hurt ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

There were another nice feature in MailTweak as well: it could lock the columns titles in the main list, protecting them from re-sorting by an accidental mouse click (to resort you should use Shift+click). Now working without MailTweak for some days I've done this accidental mistake tens of time and lost quite much time waiting for sorting and re-sorting. Is there any actual plugin with similar function? Or may be it s supported natively in newer TB versions?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Leopoldus,

from a google search for "thunderbird lock column" i got this ...

- Lock Column Sorting
that is from the mail tweak author and uses the userchrome.js extension. dunno if it will still work as it's from 2007

from a search on the tbird addons site i got this ...
No Message Pane Sort by Mouse

take care,
lee
Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Thank you Lee_Dailey! You save me!
Actually I've spent a half of hour dealing with the same thing as you: tried to find something from Google and Mozilla add-ons. But my result was zero... So it is a big art to search from right place and to use right phrases.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Leopoldus,

yes, grasshopper, my search mojo was strong that day ... [*grin*]

you are quite welcome! the search i used on the addons site was for "column" and the 2nd link above was on the 1st page of results.

take care,
lee
Don.a.dio

Post by Don.a.dio »

Hi, not sure what was personalized email exactly in MT, but you may have to look to the Mail Merge add-on. Maybe it does something similar :)

This is exactly what I was looking for. Going back through the thread I realize the question had already been answered. Thank you for responding directly. Mail Tweak termed the function "personalize mail". So far, Mail Merge has been working very well for me.

I know this question doesn't belong here, but since everyone seems to be verse on various TB extensions, I wonder if there's a way to specify the order of multiple columns, in mail as well as address book. Or if there is a way to make sure that an address already listed in one of the address lines is not added again. Thank you!
cristorb

Post by cristorb »

thank you for this extencion appreciate it
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

Mailtweak 1.0pre10 works fine for me with TB 8.0. Well, with one exception. I bumped the rdf file and then it installed fine. I suspect that some combination of options temporarily disabled the Attach File dialogue (although files could still be attached using drag-and-drop) but that problem no longer happens. I have 11 of the options selected and all works fine as far as I can tell.
Harold

Windows 7, TB 27.0, FF 28.0
llamaX

Post by llamaX »

I was having trouble with Thunderbird 8 hiding my status bar. Since the only bit of Mail Tweak I use are the custom folder icons, I've split out that bit of code into a stand alone extension. If anyone feels like maintaining it, feel free; I'm certainly not.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9rfjya5ao1sk2rx
elayneb

Post by elayneb »

Hi

I just installed Thunderbird 7.01 not realizing I would lose Mail Tweak. Is there a beta of Mail Tweak that I can use? I have seen some references to TB 8 so I ma hoping ...

Thanks

Elayne
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy elayneb,

as you can see from reading back thru the last several pages, there is _no_ update _ever_ expected for this extension. it's dead.

what part are you using? there are several replacements available for various specific things ...

take care,
lee