User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rauji

attachment no showing in thunderbird

Post by Rauji »

email along with attachment forwarded from outlook not showing in Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: attachment no showing in thunderbird

Post by tanstaafl »

Use view -> message source (or control-U) and look at the raw message source. What is the content-type: header for the attachment?

See viewtopic.php?p=11424515#p11424515 if its something like Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
Rauji

Post by Rauji »

Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel;
name="Nanaimo Coast Bastion 12 contract.xls"
raujisalgaonkar

Post by raujisalgaonkar »

Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <9D8DEAC30E16FF47866FC8EEF96BA38C@jactravel.co.uk>
Content-Location: Nanaimo%20Coast%20Bastion%2012%20contract.xls
Rauji

Post by Rauji »

can you help me in this
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There have been problems showing attachments in some types of multipart/related messages. They made some changes in the 8.0 nightly builds to let the Show All Body Parts add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... ody-parts/ add a View -> Message Body As -> All Body Parts menu command to workaround that problem. Usually that is due to a problem with an image, I wouldn't expect it for a spreadsheet.

If you want to try a version that has that change, backup your profile using something like Mozbackup and then choose EarlyBird (9.0alpha 2) from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/ , and install it in a different directory. Its a calculated risk (adds some features, fixes some bugs while adding others), but I've used that build and it worked well.

If there is no sign of the spreadsheet attachment existing unless you view the raw message source, all I can suspect is that there was some problem parsing the structure of the message body. If you see an attachment icon but double clicking on it does nothing, try exiting and deleting the mimetypes.rdf file in the profile. It can get corrupted. That will automatically replace the mimetypes.rdf file with one with default values when Thunderbird starts. If you do that you'll have to tell it how to open attachments of certain types again.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=674473
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=602718
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2284295&hilit=all+body+parts
Rauji

Post by Rauji »

Fidalma

Post by Fidalma »

raujisalgaonkar wrote:Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <9D8DEAC30E16FF47866FC8EEF96BA38C@jactravel.co.uk>
Content-Location: Nanaimo%20Coast%20Bastion%2012%20contract.xls

I have exactly the same issue, I tried installing Thunderbird 8 but nothing changed. The strange fact is that a colleague of mine, using TB8 like me, does not have this problem (with the same emails).

I tried disabling all add-ons but the issue still occurs.
I also tried to install the add-on "Show All Body Parts" but it seems not working on TB8.

Thanks and regards.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search

Did you select "view -> message body as -> show all body parts"? Installing the add-on doesn't automatically change what you see. That is a good thing because the changes that menu command makes can make some messages harder to read, even though it (supposedly) guarantees you can see everything in the message.
Fidalma

Post by Fidalma »

tanstaafl wrote:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/show-all-body-parts/?src=search

Did you select "view -> message body as -> show all body parts"? Installing the add-on doesn't automatically change what you see. That is a good thing because the changes that menu command makes can make some messages harder to read, even though it (supposedly) guarantees you can see everything in the message.

Yes I tried but under "view -> message body as" I do not have the entry "all body parts" but only "Original HTML", "Simple HTML" and "Plain-text", this is why I said that probably this add-on does not work with TB8.

Thanks again.
buggabill

Post by buggabill »

@tanstaafl - The add-on solved my problem. I was having the same issue with WAV files sent from our voicemail server. The mime info in the header looked like this:

Code: Select all

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: audio/wav; name="VOICEATT.WAV"; type=Unknown
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64

Do you know if there is a fix in the works that will solve this issue without the use of an add-on?

Thanks!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

A somewhat more comprehensive solution for such malformed inclusion of attachments is discussed in bug 674473, Make MIME parts in a multipart/related context that are not referred to or cannot be displayed inline available as attachments again.

The add-on isn't really needed, the same can be achieved toggling the mailnews.display.show_all_body_parts_menu preference in Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor. The add-on makes it more convenient and also should provide documentation (the latter I think was the main reason to come up with it).

tanstaafl wrote:it (supposedly) guarantees you can see everything in the message.

What this option does is to ignore any multipart/related or multipart/alternative constructs and merge everything into a single multipart/mixed assembly. You'll still need View > Display Attachments Inline checked to see all message parts which are stated to be attachments but can be shown inline. In either case, all named and unnamed parts are accessible in the attachment pane with that option even if they aren't shown inline.

Post by Guest »

The "Show all body parts" add on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/show-all-body-parts/ allowed TB8 to restore access to years worth of messages containing *.wav attachments. Before discovering this add-on, I was going crazy with worry over lost *.wav attachments. Thanks to jikamens.

But, and I mean no disrespect to TB coders, this is a complete hack. I know that the hard-working TB coders know this already. With this newly lost automatic functionality to identify and display *.wav attachments... for whatever the reason -- this is a fundamental problem. "Show all body parts" is a useful if goofy workaround, but you really cannot expect users to investigate every incoming message for undisclosed attachments that are unrecognized by their mail client.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, it's a hack for the time being. A more adequate and permanent solution is looked for in the bug report I've referenced in my post above yours. One of the underlying problems is that some popular mailing systems create malformed messages, putting the attachment in a wrong context. Thus, one cannot blame Thunderbird alone for this issue.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

buggabill wrote:

Code: Select all

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: audio/wav; name="VOICEATT.WAV"; type=Unknown
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64

That's actually a special case where the attachment is the message, thus having no multipart construct at all. This was fixed today in bug 701261 and should become effective with TB 11.0 at the latest (as early as 9.0 if it works fine there and gets approved).