h.264 error

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
404FNF

h.264 error

Post by 404FNF »

I am getting this error can anyone tell me how to solve this thing

i am using the latest nightly build with automatic updates enabled and I use vlc media player as my main media player
404FNF

Re: h.264 error

Post by 404FNF »

sorry forgot to give screenshot here is the screenshot

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
If you'd care to register & log in, this post will be moved to a more appropriate forum,
(You need to be reg'd & logged in to post there), where you will receive more help.
Please log in & post back here & this thread will be moved. Thanks.
Please do not cross post.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

Post by Guest »

i already have vlc media player installed and i also tried klite codec pack still didnt work
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
If you'd care to register & log in, this post will be moved to a more appropriate forum,
(You need to be reg'd & logged in to post there), where you will receive more help.
Please log in & post back here & this thread will be moved. Thanks.
Please do not cross post.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

404FNF

Post by 404FNF »

i have registered now what should i do , help
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Builds forum..

Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

Firefox will never support H.264 HTML5 natively, Google also removed support so if you want H.264 your only choice are IE9/10 which are using MFT for playback or Safari internal apple decoder i think or mft as well under windows not sure
There is or was a plugin from Divx Networks to support the video tag with their player not sure though if that works with youtube HTML5 also it's mostly on ice (needs to be updated to much effort), these 3rd party solutions though are problematic if they don't evolve with the base browser so a native implementation is always the better thing.

It could be done for Firefox but it will never make it officially into it and no one who is capable todo it will do it as they don't support MPEGLA politics, and code of that kind (user reach) who doesn't make it into the official release is pretty useless IMHO, you might see someone doing it commercially in the future though (fork with h.264 support) but then you will see free versions also but for now dont hope for it ;)
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

Cru_N_cher wrote:Google also removed support

Not really... Dev channel still advertises h.264 support.

The Chrome devs only made a blogpost about it some time ago (half a year?) but nothing actually happened.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ferongr wrote:
Cru_N_cher wrote:Google also removed support

Not really... Dev channel still advertises h.264 support.

The Chrome devs only made a blogpost about it some time ago (half a year?) but nothing actually happened.

Yes, Google Chrome is not open source browser, its only project Chromium is open source. Also Chromium project also not offer Adobe Flash Plugin with it. So Google can pay $$$ to MPEG..
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

Zlip792 wrote:Yes, Google Chrome is not open source browser, its only project Chromium is open source. Also Chromium project also not offer Adobe Flash Plugin with it. So Google can pay $$$ to MPEG..

Regardless the issue of what is open source (not Free Software) and what is not (since Chrome vs Chromium is almost the same thing like the compile flag in Firefox that enables Mozilla branding, plus some binary components like the PDF reader and Adobe Flash), and the h.264 playback licensing issue (Mozilla has the funds but does not support h.264 for ideological reasons I mostly agree with) the blog post specifically mentioned Chrome.

we are changing Chrome’s HTML5 <video> support to make it consistent with the codecs already supported by the open Chromium project. Specifically, we are supporting the WebM (VP8) and Theora video codecs, and will consider adding support for other high-quality open codecs in the future.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ferongr wrote:
Zlip792 wrote:Yes, Google Chrome is not open source browser, its only project Chromium is open source. Also Chromium project also not offer Adobe Flash Plugin with it. So Google can pay $$$ to MPEG..

Regardless the what is open source and what is not (since Chrome vs Chromium is almost the same thing like the compile flag in Firefox that enables Mozilla branding, plus some binary components like the PDF reader and Adobe Flash), and the h.264 playback licensing issue (Mozilla has the funds but does not support h.264 for ideological reasons I mostly agree with) the blog post specifically mentioned Chrome.

we are changing Chrome’s HTML5 <video> support to make it consistent with the codecs already supported by the open Chromium project. Specifically, we are supporting the WebM (VP8) and Theora video codecs, and will consider adding support for other high-quality open codecs in the future.

I always heard that Mozilla not support H.264 because of royal licensing fee which indirect indicate cost. So if there is not issue of funds they start hiring some more developers rather than relying on few number of developers.
Whatever the reason: Simple is that H.264 is not support by Mozilla while HTML5 <video> does not support any standard video format so it is issue of popularity now until new standard show some stuff related to it.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

Mozilla simple is unwilling rather than unable.
The solution is simply is to support System Codecs which avoids ALL issues with copyright/licensing.
Simply supporting ffdshow + OS-default codecs would solve all issues - as OS default codecs and ffdshow essentially can play anything you can throw at them.

A more real issue is that without using E.V.R. one cannot tap into hardware acceleration on Windows (VMR for the 2001 OS XP), so Mozilla has to have support for EVR, VMR and whatever Mac OS uses.

Another issue is Mozilla/Google partnership who both will not benefit financially if h264 (or 10-bit h264 or h265 in the future) wins - so support h264 is not financially beneficial for certain companies. It is financially beneficial to other companies such as MPEG-LA and many consumers of the h264 standard (Adobe Flash player essentially focused on h264 playback capabilities since 10.1 to allow more people to use it)...
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

With <video> elements playing via Direct Show filters it's almost impossible to support things like 3D transforms, SVG effects or whatever a web designer might want to do, making 3rd party codecs second class citizens on the web. Hardware accelerated video is even worse when it comes to this.

Finally, h.264 on the Hi10P profile is unlikely to be widely supported. ASIC support is not here and will not be for the foreseeable future, if ever. Currently the only niche it serves is the anime fansubbing community, where it's used as a shortcut for best gradient quality instead of correct encoder tuning.