Camino 2.1 Copying tables

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

kenrick

Camino 2.1 Copying tables

Post by kenrick »

In all previous versions of Camino I have been able to select a table, copy and paste into an Excel spreadsheet with the table cells correctly going into cells in the spreadsheet. I installed Camino 2.1 today and this no longer works. All cells are merged into one cell in Excel (even different rows go into the same cell) and have to be laboriously sorted out. What is even worse is that the Javascript instruction (link) associated with one cell in the table was copied into the spreadsheet, so that Excels tries (unsuccessfully) to execute it every time I click that cell.

This is not an Excel problem - using Safari 5.1.1 and Excel (2008 v.12.3.1) or TextEdit 1.6, tables are correctly copied as tables into Excel or HTML tables into TextEdit.

Is this a bug or has Camino 2.1 been deliberately designed not to copy table and cell information in the HTML code? Either way, this is so important to me that I shall have to revert to 2.0.9 or move to Safari.
phiw13

Re: Camino 2.1 Copying tables

Post by phiw13 »

kenrick wrote:Is this a bug or has Camino 2.1 been deliberately designed not to copy table and cell information in the HTML code? Either way, this is so important to me that I shall have to revert to 2.0.9 or move to Safari.

It is actually a core Gecko (the rendering engine used by Camino) bug. Previous versions of Camino didn't support a Rich Text Format clipboard, but Camino 2.1 does (just as Firefox 3.6 and newer). But unfortunately, this did break badly the ability to copy tabular data. This is tracked in bug 137450.

Reverting to Camino 2.0.9 wouldn't be a good idea, as it will be completely unsupported from now on, with no security updates anymore.
kenrick

Re: Camino 2.1 Copying tables

Post by kenrick »

Thanks - I followed the bug 137450 link, where it says that the solution is to use "Edit -> Paste Special -> Text" in Excel. This works.