Camino 2.1 Released!

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Camino 2.1 Released!

Post by Uncle Asad »

After over a year of hard work, the Camino Project is proud announce Camino 2.1, a notable new update to the Camino web browser. Camino 2.1 includes a number of new features and enhancements, including overhauled location bar autocomplete, improved control over plug-ins, and displays web content using Mozilla’s Gecko 1.9.2 rendering engine, improving web compatibility and providing all users with an improved browsing experience.

All Camino users on Mac OS X 10.4 and higher should update to this version. Users of previous Camino releases should be notified of the new version via software update.

Release Notes
• Download: English-only and Multilingual

Enjoy!
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
mem0

Re: Camino 2.1 Released!

Post by mem0 »

Congratulation! Hope to see more from Camino in the future!
davedit

Post by davedit »

Hooray!
Camino Themes and Stuff (If that doesn't work, try the mirror)
Pimp My Camino
DixieQueen

Post by DixieQueen »

HELP! I downloaded latest version. I have a Powerbook G4 but a PowerPC one. The reason I use Camino instead of Safari is that Flash is no longer supported with Safari and it was the only way I could do online banking.
NOW when I go to my online banking, it's blank and all I see is the flash logo.
I thought this was going to support a Powerbook G4.
I guess I have to do an uninstall and go back.
Sigh.
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

DixieQueen wrote:HELP! I downloaded latest version. I have a Powerbook G4 but a PowerPC one. The reason I use Camino instead of Safari is that Flash is no longer supported with Safari and it was the only way I could do online banking.
NOW when I go to my online banking, it's blank and all I see is the flash logo.

Sorry if my question is obvious, but is Flash enabled in Camino's Web preferences? This behavior usually happens when Flash is blocked.
eMate

Post by eMate »

Congratulation for this release ;)
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

DixieQueen wrote:when I go to my online banking, it's blank and all I see is the flash logo.

You need to right click and enable Flash for your online banking site. By default Camino 2.1 on PPC blocks flash from loading, as the version of flash available to PPC users is out of date (reason for this was a security issue).
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

A very fine effort by all those involved. So far, nice and smooth. :wink:
thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

FYI, the blog post http://caminobrowser.org/blog/ announcing 2.1 release is dated September 29 -- don't know if this is a "slip of the pen" in hardcoding by the poster, or if there's a programming/scripting error somewhere in your blog generation process...

On topic... 2.1 looks and works great for me! Thanks again for the hard work! :)
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
LazyLion

Post by LazyLion »

Hi all, here's the reason I keep using Camino and no other browser: Because of this "appearance" option that let you choose the colours of your pages, especially the background colour. All thoses white pages having a bad effect on my eyes, I used to darken it a little and it had the double advantage of avoiding me a few headaches and be good for environment... (anyone knows Blackle.com ?) Now here's the reason this new version disappoints me a lot: this option has disappeared !
You can still change the settings, but the checkbox to activate it is no longer here... Tell me it's just a bug that will be fixed ! (I'm on a MacbookPro - OSX 10.5.8)
Thanx !
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

If you absolutely need those settings, you can still force them to be applied by setting browser.display.use_document_colors in about:config. However, see the very first comment in bug 592697.

cl
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

thom-22 wrote:FYI, the blog post http://caminobrowser.org/blog/ announcing 2.1 release is dated September 29 -- don't know if this is a "slip of the pen" in hardcoding by the poster, or if there's a programming/scripting error somewhere in your blog generation process...

Nope, that was a copy-pasto, so thanks for catching it ;)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
ToucanSloth

Post by ToucanSloth »

If you absolutely need those settings, you can still force them to be applied by setting browser.display.use_document_colors in about:config.

Thanks, I do enable that every few weeks when staring at the screen too much really gets to me. So I didn't notice immediately that that feature had disappeared from the pref pane, but would have soon!

Thanks to everyone who made this new release happen. I think everyone here wants Camino to keep being a success!
karleq

Post by karleq »

Hi,

After upgrading I get this message:

"Java is not installed on your system. Please download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment and return once it has been installed."

Of course I do have Java installed (works fine of FF and Safari) - and it is enabled in the Camino preferences also.

Any ideas before I try uninstalling / reverting etc etc.

Thanks

Clocked the solution on forums here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2378357
Last edited by karleq on December 5th, 2011, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gapito

Post by gapito »

Good news!! :)

But, when will the Spanish version be ready?