Camino 2.1 ... is this a Javascript Problem?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

sitenoise

Camino 2.1 ... is this a Javascript Problem?

Post by sitenoise »

A couple issues have arisen with 2.1:

When I use Google Maps, I can no longer zoom the map. The scroll wheel doesn't zoom it any more and clicking the + and - ends of the zoom pole result in what I would describe as dead clicks.

I have a my.yahoo.com home page with news feeds and up until 2.1 if I hovered the mouse over a headline a little popup would display showing the first few lines of the news story. That no longer happens.

Both of these things work in Safari, so the sites haven't changed (I presume). I've tried the latest nightly build and installed the Java plugin (because I have no idea, just in case).

Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

MBPro 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.6.8
phiw13

Re: Camino 2.1 ... is this a Javascript Problem?

Post by phiw13 »

Google maps zooming works just fine here. You don't have any Flash based overlay on Google maps, do you ? That could possibly be an explanation. The latest version of Flash seems to have a couple of issues with click and drag events.

Could you try with a default user profile ? Troubleshoot Camino can help automating this; check the included Readme file for usage.

PS - according to your user-agent string under your post, you are using 10.6.7. Make sure you upgrade in that case.
sitenoise

Post by sitenoise »

Good call. I tried Troubleshoot Camino and everything worked fine. So, now I have to think a little bit, I guess. Save that profile folder off to the side, let Camino recreate a new one, and then slowly move things back in until trouble occurs.

Thanks for the nudge.

PS - I'm running 10.6.8, no question. System Profiler acknowledges it too.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

sitenoise wrote:Good call. I tried Troubleshoot Camino and everything worked fine. So, now I have to think a little bit, I guess. Save that profile folder off to the side, let Camino recreate a new one, and then slowly move things back in until trouble occurs.

Good. Most probably 'something' in prefs.js (or user.js if you happen to have that).

sitenoise wrote:PS - I'm running 10.6.8, no question. System Profiler acknowledges it too.

Now I see that that UA string is for an old Chrome (10 ! current is 15). Are you spoofing as Chrome? That might also explain the problems you see. You really don't need to do that.
(it is registered in prefs.js, on a line that starts like this: 'user_pref("general.useragent.override",……' )
sitenoise

Post by sitenoise »

This is with the new profile. Let's see what it says. I had mucked about in the past trying to spoof as other browsers but it never worked. And to my knowledge I always switched back. Maybe that was the problem.

Sad reality is that Camino isn't supported by a growing number of web sites :(
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Right now the line under your post says that you are using Camino :-)

Sad reality is that Camino isn't supported by a growing number of web sites :(

Camino 2.1 works on mosts sites, Camino 2.0.9 had some problems, though.
sitenoise

Post by sitenoise »

phiw13 wrote:Right now the line under your post says that you are using Camino :-)

Feels good, like a new pair of boots. Thanks for your help.

Camino 2.1 works on mosts sites, Camino 2.0.9 had some problems, though.

Yes, on most ... but Google is becoming pretty uncool. I've had issues with Google Docs and the Blogger Dashboard. (probably why I tried spoofing as Chrome) And Box.net doesn't work.

I don't like other browsers and Apple should be put in jail for the dishonest way Safari 5 handles Cookies and other website data, but I'm way off topic now.

Cheers!