[Ext] ThumbsDown 0.22.5 - Bulk image downloader - 2016-03-28

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.19 - Bulk image downloader - 2011-11-

Post by ake79 »

neojam wrote:The only thing I'm missing in the script manager now is the Export/Import feature, to backup/restore your script-list or parts of it (a.k.a "export selected").

I'll implement import/export support as soon as I figure out how I should implement it.

Personally I don't have the need for this feature at the moment, so I don't really know/haven't thought the best way to implement this. So I'm looking for user input here.

Some of the issues to consider here:
  • export/import entry point: i.e. "where's the button to start this": script manager / script dialog / tools menu / ...
  • export source: one/multiple/all scripts at a time
  • export target: one file / one dir and multiple files / text to clipboard / something else
  • export file format: text / binary
  • import source: local file / link in web page
  • import: append to existing scripts / replace all existing scripts
  • import: detect identical/similar scripts compared to existing and do X ?
  • more...
So I'm open to the idea of implementing this. It would just be nice know what it is actually wanted here. Realistic answer is not: "All the options listed above plus a couple more." I don't have personal need, so thinking about this is not a priority for me. If someone has clear idea how this should work, that would be helpful to get started.

If you have ideas, please add them here: issue 12 - Import/export scripts.

neojam wrote:Also, I think I've asked this before:
often you encounter sites, where one thumbnail links to a page that contains several full-size images (like photos taken from different angles & etc.).
Do you plan to support such download-scenarios in Thumbsdown at some later point? Maybe with some special script?

Yeah, I remember that. Do you have an example page? Post it here or email me.

Support for more download-scenarios? Plans, yes. Action, slooow.

In general, if someone would like to see ThumbsDown to work in site X in the future, an example of that site X is required.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
Amiron

Post by Amiron »

Here is what I've found for imagefap.com galleries:

http://www.exisoftware.com/news/imagefa ... oader.html

Works rather fast when you figure out how to do it.
Marinekiksen

Post by Marinekiksen »

Hey there.
Btw. There's a strange problem with the Thumbsdown wizard. When I want to extract images from a gallery with a lot of thumbs (possibly around 100 or over), many of the thumbs just <b>time out</b> in the overview, thumb selection. It seems like the program just chooses to stop loading! Or what? I think it should be possible to remove this timeout thing, or set a time for timeout. Because then I could load all the thumbs and extract all images.
Marinekiksen

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.18 - Bulk image downloader - 2011-06-

Post by Marinekiksen »

ake79 wrote:Script Wizard is not crappy. But it's not all-powerful either. It's a tool to help you write regular expressions needed by the script. That is, it doesn't generate regexps for you (most of the time), it just helps you to write them. Understanding the basics of regular expressions is helpful.

In regular expressions, '.' (dot) will match any *one* character. '.+' will match any character one or more times. '\d+x\d+\.jpg' would match both your examples. Refer to this if you don't understand why: http://code.google.com/p/thumbsdown/wiki/RegExp

Marinekiksen wrote:Why do you even have to write expressions, when you already select the actual photos in the first few steps of the wizard runner... Bloody hell.

Because the idea is that you create a script based on a couple thumbnails and images, and then download a thousand images from the same web site using that same script, not just the original couple images your script was based on. Of course you can download those thousand images individually but I think that would be time consuming.

In general, if you have a problem creating a script for some site, post a link to that site and ask politely if someone can help you. But like I said, understanding the basics of regular expressions goes a long way when using ThumbsDown.

Hello sir.
But, as I wrote i my earlier posts, I have been reading the expression guides, and those regular expressions don't seem to help. For the most part, this tool is really brilliant - I've used it on a row of different sites by now.
But there are some that give the tool problems. But f.ex. from image sites like gorillamask, spank bank, can't make a script for the images themselves, though they've been selected (in the 'select corresponding image' to the thumbs). Then I try out those regular expressions, and either of those will not match the images. That's in RegExp. I tried using Wrapped -> src, then it just downloaded one same thumb instead.
Roger on the dot expression. But the listed image parameters turn red from just a single '.'. The different slashes didn't do anything either, all the images went red.
In this case, the images had about the same path, it was just different alphabeth-letters in front of the real images, than for the thumb-URLs. Maybe that confuses Thumbsdown?
I might ought to put a screenshot.
With regards
ake79

Post by ake79 »

If Direct, RegExp or Wrapped script doesn't work, you may need to create a Custom script. But note that Custom scripts are not supported in Script Wizard, so you need to write it completely by hand.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.20 - ChangeLog

* Fixed #2: Using toolbar button instead of statusbar icon.
* New translation: pt-PT

Plans for 0.21: Initial support for CSS background image thumbnails (issue 9).
tuxic007

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.20 - Bulk image downloader - 2012-01-

Post by tuxic007 »

Hello!

At first I would love to thank you for creating this amazing tool. I've been looking for something like this for a very long time.
Saving images one by one is very tiring and time consuming and your amazing add-on solves all of these problems.
I also tried other software such as NeoDowloader or Bulk Image Downloader as well as many others, but they don't work properly.

My problem is that I have read your guide as well as posts on this forum. I've spent many hours trying to create proper scripts but all of this stuff just don't work for me. I completely don't know programming and I only managed to create a working direct script for your guide. Unfortunatelly most of the sites I would like to create scripts (such as photobucket, imageshack, flickr, deviantart, google images and maybe few others) have additional links, donwload buttons or other obstacles that I can't get through. I also tried to use Script Wizard, but I was only able to create with it direct scripts that didn't actually work for all of the sites. I guess in some cases I will probably need a custom script but I don't know how to do this.

Any kind of help would be very appreciated, because I find your tool very useful I and would like to learn how to use it.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Thanks.

Of those sites you mention, at least imageshack works with regexp script. That is, you can use Script Wizard to help out when creating it. You need to know a bit about regular expressions but still.

Those other sites, I haven't used ThumbsDown on them so I can't say. But my guess would be that custom scripts are needed in at least some of them (and some probably won't work at all). And yes, custom scripts are a bit hard.

But anyway, instead of trying yourself for hours, just ask for help. Post here (or email me) the page you are trying to download thumbnails from and the script you are trying to use, and I can help in figuring out what's the problem.
zimbio

Post by zimbio »

I would really appreciate anyones help with my attempts to download images from Zimbio's Photo Galleries. I have tried the Script Wizard but it doesn't find the full size images. Here is my example:

Zimbio's galleries have URLs like this:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/4f2Cr8jR ... ony/browse

The thumbnails have links like this:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2012 ... JKlIzs.jpg

This leads to a medium sized image like this:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2012 ... JKlIzl.jpg

However I would like the full sized image which is found when the medium sized image is clicked. Its URL is like this:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2012 ... JKlIzx.jpg

As you will see there is only one letter difference between the three different sized images. Thumbnail has an 's' at the end, medium has an 'l' and full size has an 'x'. The Script wizard finds the 50 thumbnail images on page one of the gallery and links to the medium sized images with 'l' at the end, but it doesn't find the full sized images with 'x' at the end. I have spent hours trying to figure this out but with no knowledge of scripting I have found it impossible and extremly frustrating to solve this. If anyone can help me with this I would be so grateful.

Would there also be a way to find the images on other pages in the gallery, so instead of just the 50 images on page one it could find all the images in the gallery on other pages. Finally I am guessing I would need to modify the RegExp to fit other galleries. So for example I would change 2012+Olympic+Closing+Ceremony to Olympics+Day+16+Boxing for that gallery.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

First, create a script that downloads those medium ('l') images. RegExp script seems work with those images. Script Wizard created the script for me just fine.

Then, modify that newly created script so it downloads those large ('x') images. Open up Script Manager and from there edit the script you just created. Basically just change the RegExp script's Template field. Just change 'l' -> 'x' and save.

Worked for me.

Would there also be a way to find the images on other pages in the gallery, so instead of just the 50 images on page one it could find all the images in the gallery on other pages. Finally I am guessing I would need to modify the RegExp to fit other galleries. So for example I would change 2012+Olympic+Closing+Ceremony to Olympics+Day+16+Boxing for that gallery.

Common "problem" when using ThumbDown, but still a bit out-of-scope for this extension. There's this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... autopager/, which I think does something similary what you want. Never used it myself, so I can't say whether it works or not. Especially on some random site.

I usually just open each page on its own tab, and then go through tabs closing them as I go.
robertogirlcrazy

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.14 - Bulk image downloader - 2009-06-

Post by robertogirlcrazy »

neojam wrote:@O2B_Free
I've installed DownThemAll! + DownThemAll! AntiContainer and it saves the the "big","full size" images from imagefap without any problems.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12577
Just run DownThemAll! on a tab after you install both plugins.

here is a little how-to:
http://bugs.code.downthemall.net/trac/w ... r#Download

Are you sure this still works? i tried it after installing downthemall and anticontainer but still i get only links or only thumbs...
ake79

Post by ake79 »

I don't mind people pointing out alternatives to ThumbsDown here, but please take the discussion of their workings and problems to somewhere else. Thank you.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.21 - Bulk image downloader - 2012-12-

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.21 - ChangeLog - Download

* Fixed issue 3 - Don't download duplicate images.
* Fixed issue 9 - Support CSS background image thumbnails.
* Fixed issue 14 - Support development version of DownThemAll!
* Added thumbnail matching based on thumbnail url.
* Added XPath link resolver.
* Added script installation via thumbsdown: urls (issue 12).

I'll post more info about the new features later...
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.21 - Bulk image downloader - 2012-12-

Post by ake79 »

What's new in 0.21.

* Only one image is loaded if there are duplicates images. Basically, if you select multiple images and download them, duplicates in that selection are skipped.
* Previously thumbnails could only be identified by their link URLs (matcher). 0.21 added support for alternatively identifying thumbnails based on thumbnail URLs.
* New thumbnail type: CSS background image.
* XPath link resolver/provider. Because CSS background images don't have link URLs associated with them, ThumbsDown needs some way to figure out the link URL. For now, this is done using XPath expression.
* Script Wizard has initial support for CSS background images and creating link resolver (XPath expression) for it.
* Image URLs can be edited in Script Wizard. This is useful for example in a situation like this: You have a thumbnail which leads to page which shows medium size image which Script Wizard is able to show. But there's also full-size image which Script Wizard is not able resolve. Now you can edit the image URL in Script Wizard and change it by hand from medium to full-size.
* Some Script Wizard pages have some help documenation. Look for (?) button in top right corner in Script Wizard.
* ThumbsDown scripts can be exported from Script Manager (context menu > copy) or script dialog (copy to clipboard). Basically they export script into thumbsdown: urls.
* ThumbsDown scripts can be installed by clicking thumbsdown: urls or just copy-pasting the url into address bar.

In general, some of the new features might be a bit rough around the edges, but since it's almost a year since the last release I though it was better get something out now. If you find any bugs, report them in issue tracker.

Next in the plans. Update the User Guide.
ake79

Re: [Ext] ThumbsDown 0.21.1 - Bulk image downloader - 2013-0

Post by ake79 »

Release 0.21.1 - ChangeLog - Download

Included updated translations: pl, zh-CN