[Ext] TotalMessage 4.0 [2018-08-31]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
alta88

[Ext] TotalMessage 4.0 [2018-08-31]

Post by alta88 »

TotalMessage is now found on Bitbucket (Downloads).

The extension aims to include the functionality of CompactHeader, Mnenhy headers, and the old TB Header Tools extensions. Plus more (attachment pane improvements, drag and drop rethreading of messages, custom Compose Forward Print headers). The header pane is replaced by an html5 implementation along the way.

Please see the link above for more. Comments welcome.
Last edited by alta88 on September 1st, 2018, 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kungfujoe

Re: [Ext] TotalMessage 1.0 [2011-12-18]

Post by kungfujoe »

alta88, I was really hoping to use this extension, since Mnenhy keeps falling behind when new versions of Thunderbird are released, but I have the same problem as one of the reviewers on AMO had - it just blanks my message pane out entirely. I also can't find any place to configure the extension. There's no "Options" dialog on the extension itself, and nothing in Thunderbird's menus jumped out at me as something that was added by TotalMessage.

This was using TotalMessage v1.0 (I tried both the copy on AMO and the copy on MozDev, in case one was bad) on Thunderbird 9.01 in Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Also, is there any way you can add in hooks to make other header extensions compatible? I've grown quite accustomed to using Display Contact Photo and Display Mail User Agent. I'd hate to have to give them up just because the only replacement I can find for the no-longer-compatible Mnenhy doesn't work with them.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

If the header toggle button is toggled to none, how do I get it back to brief, basic, or full?

Thanks!
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
alta88

Post by alta88 »

kungfujoe wrote:
This was using TotalMessage v1.0 (I tried both the copy on AMO and the copy on MozDev, in case one was bad) on Thunderbird 9.01 in Windows 7 x64 Pro.

that config works for me. as the homepage says, due to TotalMessage replacing the xul message pane, it won't work with other extensions that are about the messagepane. Like CompactHeaders or Thunderbird Conversations. please try to identify if it's an extension incompatibility. or if there are console errors.

you can add a pref TotalMessage.logging.console, with value of 'debug', and you'll get a swarm of messages. (set to 'none' or 'info' to not get them anymore).

Also, is there any way you can add in hooks to make other header extensions compatible? I've grown quite accustomed to using Display Contact Photo and Display Mail User Agent. I'd hate to have to give them up just because the only replacement I can find for the no-longer-compatible Mnenhy doesn't work with them.

some can be made to work, like QuoteColors and Quote Collapse. in other words, ones i use. ;) i'd have to see..
Last edited by alta88 on January 2nd, 2012, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

WLS wrote:If the header toggle button is toggled to none, how do I get it back to brief, basic, or full?

Thanks!

there should be a page curl indicator in the upper right. just hover it. you can also tab to it (it will get focus) and hit enter, if you're a keyboard type. the toggle button can then be pinned.
kungfujoe

Post by kungfujoe »

I'm assuming it's an extension incompatibility. I assumed that my other message pane extensions would simply stop functioning, instead of breaking Thunderbird entirely. I like the idea of replacing Mnenhy with something that's being more actively developed, but I'm not really crazy about replacing it with one that will cause Thunderbird to break completely any time I install any extension that touches the message pane. :(
alta88

Post by alta88 »

kungfujoe wrote:I'm assuming it's an extension incompatibility. I assumed that my other message pane extensions would simply stop functioning, instead of breaking Thunderbird entirely. I like the idea of replacing Mnenhy with something that's being more actively developed, but I'm not really crazy about replacing it with one that will cause Thunderbird to break completely any time I install any extension that touches the message pane. :(

well it's not known what the reason is, given no diagnostics. a crippled UI is unusual, but it could happen due to a typo.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

alta88 wrote:
WLS wrote:If the header toggle button is toggled to none, how do I get it back to brief, basic, or full?

Thanks!

there should be a page curl indicator in the upper right. just hover it. you can also tab to it (it will get focus) and hit enter, if you're a keyboard type. the toggle button can then be pinned.

I did that (upper left for me) but there were no choices.

Found it was the theme I was using in TB 10.0b1 that was causing a problem. When I enabled the default theme, and restarted I was able to get the choices back.

Problem theme is Nautipolis, and it seems I just couldn't find the right spot to click, now that I enabled it again, and tried. With none selected, hovering over it displays a very tiny circle, next to Subject that is very hard to see, because it is the same color as the background.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Bernd S.

Post by Bernd S. »

Hi,
Total message is running here fine on Thunderbird 9.0.1. (portable v.)

On TB 11.0 (desktop version) it isn't .
The buttons (icons) on the headerpane have vanished.
I disabled all add-ons just TotalMessage enabled:
Same behaviour.
Other test:
TM disabled I drag & drop all buttons back into the customizing window to make them disappear on the pane.
Then I enabled TM and all buttons dragged into the customizing window had disappeared.
Having disabled TM they are back again. Clicking on "Restore default set" they brings them back onto the pane.

header pane without TM:

header pane with TM:

alta88

Post by alta88 »

do you have View->Toolbars>Headers Toolbar checked? any errors in the console?
Bernd S.

Post by Bernd S. »

do you have View->Toolbars>Headers Toolbar checked?

That's it. I didn't know that your add-on adds an additional entry to the toolbar.
It seems to be deactivated by default, because I didn't change anything there.
Sorry, for the inconveniences, but you should mention this behaviour on your add-on webpage.

thx
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Bernd S. wrote:
do you have View->Toolbars>Headers Toolbar checked?

That's it. I didn't know that your add-on adds an additional entry to the toolbar.
It seems to be deactivated by default, because I didn't change anything there.
Sorry, for the inconveniences, but you should mention this behaviour on your add-on webpage.

thx

it's the second bullet of the first feature on the homepage...
Bernd S.

Post by Bernd S. »

Yes,
Headers Toolbar has been added to View->Toolbars and may be hidden.

but there is not written that "Headers Toolbar" has to be activated manually and that it's hidden by default.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

because that's not the default. they will be there on a clean profile install. i can't think of how the code could have erroneously turned them off without an uncheck of that menuitem but if you see it again let me know. the state is stored in localstore.rdf and even if you delete it, the state will revert to checked=true.
Bernd S.

Post by Bernd S. »

OK, other problem:

I changed the background color of the message pane in
Tools > Options > Display > Formatting > Colors > Background Colors
After I had activated TotalMessage the background in the message is white and can't be changed.
This happens in TB 9.0 as well.
How can I change it again?