Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

where are my bookmarks, if i have created a new profile?
Kant B. Leve

Post by Kant B. Leve »

I'm dead!

Power-out over the weekend while FireFox was up. Boom! Rebooted when power came back. (No profile prompt...)

Much to my continued horror, all bookmarks - all gone (well over 1 years worth of research - gone!!!)

I've searched for Bookmark*.* and found nothing but emptiness.

I've searched for *.chk and found even less.

This has to be the worse design I've ever heard off and suffered from...

Other than walking through the history file (which wouldn't give me much) is there anything I can do? Are there any other data files that FF uses to back them up by default so users don't get screwed?

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am in the this design! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post by Guest »

I just had this happen to me. I think my last action was to open a link sent to me via an AIM conversation. I can't create any new bookmarks anymore and some of my extensions are not working (forecastfox, adblock) because they don't seem to enjoy saving anything I tell them to. I found the .bak which was empty, since it was created at the same time as my empty bookmarks page. Oddly enough my saved password file is intact. Maybe a hack? Doubtful, but possible?

Post by Guest »

I just checked again, I can't use forcastfox at all. It won't save any settings. I think I'll have to uninstall-reinstall FF to get this fixed. I might revert back to my good ole .7 or .8 version.
ErcDaMerc

Post by ErcDaMerc »

I get asked to make a new profile and i understand i just have to close the firefox process in task manager but why do i have to do this so often? How do i fix this so that it closes when its supposed to?
Kant B. Leve

Post by Kant B. Leve »

So, no one with any ideas on how to help me?

Am I SOOL? Any FF developers read this FAQ? ](*,)
Layton

Post by Layton »

I am having a problem in the same vein -- what if I deleted a profile, anyway to recover that?

Post by Guest »

I just had the problem described several times already.

Computer hang, forcibly rebooted by powering down since the OS wasn't responding. Profile was still there, but browser prefs and bookmarks all nuked. Seems that FF dev team needs to change the way those files are handled so a power down won't leave you with nothing. Maybe as simple as *always* writing a bookmarks-N.html file when the program opens so you don't loose everything.

Fortunately for me, I'm the type who backs up important files EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T LOST THEM BEFORE, because it's just common sense. I'd recommend that anyone out there who thinks their bookmarks, or any other file for that matter, is important, BACK THEM UP REGULARLY.

And in response to someone saying it's not easy to move bookmarks from machine to machine, it's not one click, but you don't even have to dig to your profile dir. Just go to Bookmarks-> manage bookmarks, and the File->export. Save them wherever and take that file to any other browser or computer. Post it on your web page for easy access on the road.
What a load of BS

Post by What a load of BS »

Firefox is NUKED off my systems. I NEVER lost Bookmarks with IE, and I am so pissed off about BOTH the html AND the bak file being wiped out that I will not use Firefox anymore. Done, finished.

Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

What a load of BS : Do you call spyware installs on your machine screwing you? I'm sure the number is a whole lot bigger than 2...

Download these programs and you'll see what I mean. Spyware can be found and removed (and even blocked* from infecting you in the future) by following excellent free software:

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 *)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

CWShredder 2.1 (Choose standalone install!)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cw ... nload.html

SpywareBlaster 3.2 *)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Also if you've decided to not use FX then for your own good, try out Avant or Maxthon...
niloc

Post by niloc »

hey all i got the same problem with the book marks but i also lost my theams
i did get asked to make a new profile i did the my theams extentions and bookmarks were gone
this is the same as all of you BUT!!!!
I USE A MAC
can u help?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the great tip
Next Guest

I tried it all...

Post by Next Guest »

Nothing worked. My bookmarks are gone. I found the empty html and bak files. There's nothing else.

For those that think I'm a fool for not backing up bookmarks, all I can say is I never knew that you HAD to back up bookmarks. To me, it's the same as saying, well, back up your copy of Firefox, because maybe tomorrow it won't work right. Not everybody is a geek, and quite frankly, this browser makes you work really hard just to stay in one place.

I am really, really angry about losing my bookmarks. I had thousands of hours of research there. All gone.

I came to Firefox because of viruses, and now I'm leaving because of lost bookmarks. I did NOTHING to cause this.

Firefox is a free beta program, so I can't complain like I paid for it. But, it IS heavily touted and advertised as being at a certain standard. Everyone brags on it. But when you lose 6 months of work over a problem that is apparently ongoing and not corrected, how great a program is it?

One other thing: Somewhere, I read that Firefox's premise was one of a stripped down browser where you could add features that you wanted through extensions. Why isn't the bookmark backup already incorporated into Firefox, if that is the thing that you will INEVITABLY need to save your work?

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the wisdom of saving bookmarks, I did not know that you had to back up bookmarks because I, also, have NEVER had my bookmarks overwritten by a program. I've never lost bookmarks, period. So, you can think what you want, but this is a serious drawback of Firefox that the average web surfer will not want to deal with at all. I think it is ridiculous to have to go and download a bookmark backup utility, simply because Firefox won't work right! The program should be fixed.

Ain't it funny how everyone who's been around Firefox more than just a little knows about that bookmark utility? And the problem with the bookmark function is a featured presentation on the FAQ. Well, I learned a lesson about how to "shop" for a browser...

Post by Guest »

wow, talk about annoying. I too, just opened up Firefox after a system hang and then a hard reboot. everything was gone. Fortunately I was lucky enough to get the bookmarks.html.moztmp from a fire restoration utility...This should definetely be fixed. I am somewhat of a geek, and yet it never even accoured to me to backup my favorites..i had never lost them on IE.
BrettV

Post by BrettV »

So for thsoe of us who have blank bookmark.htl and .bak files, and haven't found any .moztmp files, and haven't created new profiles... What can we do?!!! I see lots of insulting comments made about not backing up, but no suggestions other than the ones we've already unsuccessfully tried.