Firebird Icon

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

So sad, nobody likes my icons anymore. Though truthfully, I never did like the mozilla head one myself... I always used the navigator wheel icon that fits in better with the rest of the icon family.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

tolremeno wrote:yeah, i guess it's time that mozilla's icons could get a face lift. if they're planning on mainstreaming mz after fb mates with it then the icon needs to look more appealing. esp in the quicklaunch bar the current icon is rather unattractive.

Are they planning on fixing QuickLaunch, which is quite buggy now? Last I heard, they were going to remove that feature completely.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

grayrest wrote:So sad, nobody likes my icons anymore. Though truthfully, I never did like the mozilla head one myself... I always used the navigator wheel icon that fits in better with the rest of the icon family.

Why don't you make some new ones?
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

grayrest wrote:So sad, nobody likes my icons anymore. Though truthfully, I never did like the mozilla head one myself... I always used the navigator wheel icon that fits in better with the rest of the icon family.

Oh c'mon, I'm sure there are a LOT of people who can't live without your icon set. ;)
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

daihard wrote:
tolremeno wrote:yeah, i guess it's time that mozilla's icons could get a face lift. if they're planning on mainstreaming mz after fb mates with it then the icon needs to look more appealing. esp in the quicklaunch bar the current icon is rather unattractive.

Are they planning on fixing QuickLaunch, which is quite buggy now? Last I heard, they were going to remove that feature completely.

i was talking about the quick launch thingie in windows, not the moz feature of staying in the system and taking up resources. the icon is esp unattractive in quicklaunch because it's so small. it's not as bad as the java icon in the sys tray, though.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
nilson

Post by nilson »

Those were my favorite ones, there just getting a little outdated.
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

I converted the PNGs to XPMs for us Linux users. I'll e-mail them to anyone who wants them.
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Benman wrote:I converted the PNGs to XPMs for us Linux users. I'll e-mail them to anyone who wants them.

I could have used your service. :) I used "kiconedit" to convert the original PNG images to XPM format.
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

hao2lian wrote:Why don't you make some new ones?

1. I'm in Europe on my laptop and don't have access to my usual artistic resources nor the desire to make them. ;]
2. I've been inspired to do a <a href="http://komodo.nique.net/~grayrest/firebird.png">logo</a> but not icons. Honestly, I haven't tried. I was doodling and I saw the logo shape in it, that's the only reason I did the logo.

Thanks for being nice dai, tom, and nilson.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

grayrest wrote:I've been inspired to do a <a href="http://komodo.nique.net/~grayrest/firebird.png">logo</a>...
Wow. Looks great!
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
priior

Post by priior »

if i understand mozilla.org post on branding correctly, they want to emphasize on MOZILLA, not firebird.

having said that, shouldn't the icons follow this philosophy of branding?

From now on we should try to capitalize on the mozilla name, as it is already well known and is widely used outside of our small technical community. However, once we have got a logical split of the browser and mail/news into separately run projects, we should use the brand we have while allowing the two main parts (and other parts, in the future) to have their own identities, while still reinforcing the mozilla name.

4. Use the names "Mozilla Browser" and "Mozilla Mail" to describe the Firebird and Thunderbird projects after the 1.4 release.

Also, this branding should be found throughout the projects if possible instead of referring to the Firebird and Thunderbird names directly. Project names are transitory. As long as we have both a mail and browser project, we should be using the mozilla brand and reinforcing it whenever we get the chance.

source: http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branding.html
pr[ii]or
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Exactly. Mozilla is a stronger brand name than Firebird or Thunderbird. Once Firebird becomes the default Mozilla browser the icon should be an updated lizard. Just my 2 pence worth.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

grayrest wrote: I've been inspired to do a <a href="http://komodo.nique.net/~grayrest/firebird.png">logo</a> but not icons. Honestly, I haven't tried. I was doodling and I saw the logo shape in it, that's the only reason I did the logo.

Thanks for that, it makes a great desktop background.
COUME

Post by COUME »

From now on we should try to capitalize on the mozilla name, as it is already well known and is widely used outside of our small technical community. However, once we have got a logical split of the browser and mail/news into separately run projects, we should use the brand we have while allowing the two main parts (and other parts, in the future) to have their own identities, while still reinforcing the mozilla name.

4. Use the names "Mozilla Browser" and "Mozilla Mail" to describe the Firebird and Thunderbird projects after the 1.4 release.

Also, this branding should be found throughout the projects if possible instead of referring to the Firebird and Thunderbird names directly. Project names are transitory. As long as we have both a mail and browser project, we should be using the mozilla brand and reinforcing it whenever we get the chance.

hmmm I reckon the Mozilla browser as a very strong name, compared to Firebird and Thunderbird, but I hope that each of them will still keep their name when use as stand alone...
When they are part of the Mozilla package, I reckon "Mozilla Browser" and "Mozilla Mail" are logical, but I do not see much the problem of having inside the package a specific icon for each software for example...

Ludo
<a href="http://www.lubox.com">http://www.lubox.com </a> - <a href="http://forum.lubox.com">http://forum.lubox.com</a>
Email Services, How-To (Linux,PHP,...), Freeware...
Come have a look, and you can even drop a msg on the forum!