9.0.1: permissions.default.image always reverts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Dash Dynamic

9.0.1: permissions.default.image always reverts

Post by Dash Dynamic »

Since upgrading to Thunderbird 9, the button in the header to allow display of remote images has been gone. After some hours of digging I found changing permissions.default.image to "1" in Config Editor restores the presence of the button.

The problem is that this setting does not persist, and as soon as I start Thunderbird the next time, it's back to "2" and the button is gone again. I tried forcing prefs.js to rebuild by renaming the existing file and starting Thunderbird. But then Thunderbird was missing all of my mail accounts and tried to start me over like a new user without any of my stored messages. So obviously that's not a valid solution. And after that I tried changing a different setting in the Config Editor and restarting as a test, and that change stuck, so I don't think there's a file access or corruption problem anyway.

So, what else can I do? It is just not an option to be left without the ability to view images in messages I choose to, but there seems to be no regular means of setting this option through Tools - Options, except by using the Config Editor, and having to reset this every time I launch Thunderbird is unacceptable to say the least. I hope one of you folks can come up with other things to try, because I'm striking out so far.
tanstaafl

Re: 9.0.1: permissions.default.image always reverts

Post by tanstaafl »

A similar thread is at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2398067

What happens if you exit Thunderbird and edit permissions.default.image in prefs.js using a text editor?
Do you lose other changes to settings you make using the config editor?

A drastic solution (with obvious privacy implications) would be to set mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image false and enable all remote images. You could also enable remote images for specific domains. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Privacy_basics_-_Thunderbird
Dash Dynamic

Post by Dash Dynamic »

Sorry for the redundant topic - I found many obvious search keywords relating to this problem were filtered by the search function.

I've tried directly editing prefs.js, but while the added string is retained in the file once I start Thunderbird again, the value changes to "2", and this continues for as many times as I may try to modify it. Then I tried deleting the string from prefs.js and subsequently it reappeared at the next restart of Thunderbird. Also it may interest you to find that setting that other remote image strong to false does not actually cause remote images to display either. They will only display when default.image is set as "1".

I've also just tried restarting with add-ons disabled, and that showed no change to the problem, it still changed itself back to "2".
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you lose other changes to settings (nothing to do with images) you make using the config editor?
Dash Dynamic

Post by Dash Dynamic »

As I noted in my original post, I tried making other changes in the Config Editor, and they were retained through restarts. I don't remember specifically which options I tested with, but it wasn't any of the ones to do with the remote images.
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

I fixed this problem of Config File editor changes reverting to previous values by editing (in notepad) all-thunderbird.js

I changed this line
pref("mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image", true);

to false, and the images now show., even after exiting and restarting thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

all-thunderbird.js is stored as a separate file in the installation program directory for Thunderbird 3.1.*. However starting with Thunderbird 5 its stored in omni.jar (renamed to omni.ja in 9.0). You shouldn't have been able to edit it using notepad if you had upgraded to 9.0 (unless you unpacked the jar file, edited its contents, and then repacked it).
Dash Dynamic

Post by Dash Dynamic »

Okay, that would explain why I can't even find that file.
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

I'm still using Thunderbird 8 (because I like some of the add-ons that don't yet work in T9)

Anyway - that edit of all-thunderbird.js has definitely cleared up the problem of resetting of the Config File parameter "permissions.default.image".

IT IS FIXED YEEAH! I'm pleased.
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

I'm still using Thunderbird 8 (because I like some of the add-ons that don't yet work in T9)

Anyway - that edit of all-thunderbird.js has definitely cleared up the problem of resetting of the Config File parameter "permissions.default.image".

IT IS FIXED YEEAH! I'm pleased.
Dash Dynamic

Post by Dash Dynamic »

So, how about a method that actually works in Thunderbird 9? I need functionality restored so I can make inlined images display. The complete lack of any solution to be able to see images in e-mails is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe people are experiencing this problem and just putting up with it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working and try deleting localstore.rdf etc.
Dash Dynamic

Post by Dash Dynamic »

There was no effect by deleting any of the files listed in that article.
tombetz

Post by tombetz »

[quote="Dash Dynamic"]So, how about a method that actually works in Thunderbird 9? I need functionality restored so I can make inlined images display. The complete lack of any solution to be able to see images in e-mails is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe people are experiencing this problem and just putting up with it.[/quote]

I'm dealing with this problem in Thunderbird 14.

I totally deleted my profile and created a new one from scratch, and it didn't resolve the problem.

I can't believe that something as broken as this has persisted since version 9, and nobody has even written an extension that people can use to set permissions.default.image to 1 once in a session as a workaround. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on writing Thunderbird extensions?

Alternatively, can anyone point me to a proper tool that can be used in Windows to re-pack the omni.ja file so Thunderbird can use it after editing all-thunderbird.js to set the value of permissions.default.image to 1?

7Zip isn't cutting it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Don't extract the file and repack, open the archive, select the file and edit it (normally uses notepad) in place using 7-zip instead.