Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy William,

fooey! sorry that it didn't work for that tweak. i read thru your other post and i can only see one workaround for each problem.

== make new folder & then move msg ==
1- open the msg in a new tab or a new msg window [i prefer the 2nd]
2- navigate to the desired folder in the folder pane
3- make the desired new folder
4- move the msg

== move msg ==
use the right click context menu item "move to" [as mentioned by other posters in that thread]

i suppose you could also use a search for the set of msgs instead of opening the msg in a tab or window.

none of them are terribly graceful! [*grin*] what is especially annoying is the fact that the "copy to" and "move to" context menus have no "new folder here" item. that item has been requested but no one seems interested in adding it. lookee ...
- Move To: menu does not contain a "new folder here" option, causing the new folder to be there prior to deciding to move mail.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=263032

IMPORTANT!
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
w_esco_m

Post by w_esco_m »

Thanks, Lee,

But the part I really have trouble with is

2- navigate to the desired folder in the folder pane

because the *navigation* in the folder pane is the problem. If you touch the wrong place once, you change focus immediately, and then have to undo the wrong focus. This is really troublesome when you are trying to find a subfolder of a subfolder, only extremely careful clicks on the + sign can be done.

Separate comment: I found the addin Nostalgy that is pretty interesting as a way to avoid even trying to navigate in the folder pane. Press "s" and then you can start typing the folder name you are after, and a list of folders (with expanded folder names) pops up really fast, with several ways to get the right folder before you press enter.

Best, William
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy William,

glad that you found nostalgy. i keep forgetting that exists. [*blush*]

my suggestion above presumed that you would lose the original focus. that was the reason for opening the msg in a tab or window - you no longer needed the focus on the old folder to have the ability to move the msg.

while notsalgy seems likely to be your best fix, have you looked at the "recent folders view"? it's at ...
- view/folders/recent

... and you can get there via the keyboard = alt-v-f-r. that would at least get you back to the old folder.

take care,
lee
MoziLover

Post by MoziLover »

Lee_Dailey wrote:you MAY be able to get it to work.

some folks have found that you can get MT to work if you restrict it to ONLY what you need. the general method is this ...
- install ACR to make old extensions work in the current version of tbird
Add-on Compatibility Reporter
- restart tbird
- install MT
- restart tbird
- turn off EVERYTHING in MT
- restart tbird
- turn on only one thing you need at a time and test
- when you find something that causes problems, disable that thing & restart tbird

I didn't found an alternative to the word and character counter. So I modified the install.rdf and installed the mailtweak-1.0pre10.xpi for TB9.
This part works nice and show the numbers in the composing-window in the status bar as desired.

Do we already know, which other parts of Mail Tweak still work (also for TB 9?)

Whould it be a good idea to extract this working parts (or cut-off the non working one) and release something like a "Mail Tweak Mini" or "Mail Tweak Light Reloaded" or whatever the name could be? What do you think about?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoziLover,

that's a useful idea that has been suggested a few times. [*grin*] the gotcha is that no one has taken the time to do the testing to find what does and does not work - and then post it here.

if you are interested enuf to do it, others will likely benefit from your work. that's a nice thing to do, so if you have the time & the interest, i suggest you go for it. plus, there are a few posts like yours back in this thread concerning what does work and that would give you a start.

a list such as that would be worth getting the mods to edit the fist post of this thread to point to it. either that or you could get the knowledge base to have a link or even an article on it.

take care,
lee
MoziLover

Post by MoziLover »

I could do the testing. But how far do I have to go? Just check, if a single function from Mail Tweak works?
How many (and what kind of) tests are necessary?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoziLover,

to start with, one need only confirm that any given single option still works when it - and only it - is enabled.

after confirming that a specific item works, then it would need some "baking time" to see if it causes problems with anything else. a day or so otta be enuf testing for this situation. if someone finds that you missed a specific circumstance, they can post here about it.

testing each this-works-on-its-own setting with the others is something that can be done at leisure, i think.

from earlier posts i think you can presume the mass mailing stuff is NOT working. thankfully, there are working extensions that have replaced that function. there are others that are listed in previous posts as being non-working, but i don't recall which they are. [*blush*]

take care,
lee
MoziLover

Post by MoziLover »

Ok, I start testing the single options.
Where can I report the progress? (Just to let you and others know that someone is working on it).
You told me something about a KB. Where can I find it?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoziLover,

report things here. [*grin*] you can edit your post if you are logged in, so you could make one post to track stuff in.

the KB is here ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base

you can ask for an account or advice here ...
Knowledge Base - Help, Feedback, Requests

take care,
lee
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

What definitely works are "CSS selector" and "Account Settings cleanup".
These two are the only ones I still use because I haven't found alternatives in other extensions.
dlegate

Post by dlegate »

Kitefighter wrote:What definitely works are "CSS selector" and "Account Settings cleanup".
These two are the only ones I still use because I haven't found alternatives in other extensions.

Column Heading Lock works in 9.0.1 too! My favorite of the tweaks. :-)
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Yes, but there's a perfect alternative available: "No Message Pane Sorting by Mouse"
MoziLover

Post by MoziLover »

Sorry for the delay.
I know the following options work (Date: 03.03.2012, Mailtweak 1.0 pre10, Thunderbird 10.0.2)
- Account Settings Cleanup
- Address lines
- Hide Local Folders
- Send with no subject
and the most important for me (any alternative?):
- Word count
w_esco_m

Post by w_esco_m »

Even with ACR installed, I cannot install MailTweak. The error message is "MailTweak cannot be installed because it is incompatible with Thunderbird 11.0.1" ARGHHHHH!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy w_esco_m,

ACR was changed to remove that ability. a replacement extension to do that is this one ...
Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

i've not tried it myself, so i can't say how well it works. i currently have no need for what it does.

take care,
lee