Firefox doesn't ask me if i want to save passwords

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
infernal29

Firefox doesn't ask me if i want to save passwords

Post by infernal29 »

So I've had this problem ever since the version 7 update, but I've never actually paid attention to it until today, when I reinstalled my windows. Do you guys remember when Firefox used to ask if you want it to remember passwords and the options were remember, never to this site or not now. I'm not getting those anymore, nor the freaking allow or not allow thing when I'm trying to install a toolbar. It is really annoying. Did they take that out or is it just mine?
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox doesn't ask me if i want to save passwords

Post by dfoulkes »

Nope... that pw stuff is still there. Have you checked your Options? ... in Security and the Remember pw's for sites?... is the box checked?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Also,

there are many sites with this kind of issue for various reasons (e.g., autocomplete="off" set by web site, the login frame is loaded by JavaScript after the page is loaded, etc.). Such sites include AT&T, Triple A, Medicare, Intercontinental Hotels, and many others where the designers don't want you to use a browsers autofill capability or don't realize how their design blocks it.

The add-on AutoFill Forms can be used to solve this.

I have yet to find one such site where the above noted add-on won't work. Note that you may have to play around with the add-ons field rules but they are fairly straight forward. If you need help they have a support forum.

Cheers.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

dfoulkes wrote:Nope... that pw stuff is still there. Have you checked your Options? ... in Security and the Remember pw's for sites?... is the box checked?

I tried everything, and everything that is supposed to be checked is checked.

RobertJ wrote:Also,

there are many sites with this kind of issue for various reasons (e.g., autocomplete="off" set by web site, the login frame is loaded by JavaScript after the page is loaded, etc.). Such sites include AT&T, Triple A, Medicare, Intercontinental Hotels, and many others where the designers don't want you to use a browsers autofill capability or don't realize how their design blocks it.

The add-on AutoFill Forms can be used to solve this.

I have yet to find one such site where the above noted add-on won't work. Note that you may have to play around with the add-ons field rules but they are fairly straight forward. If you need help they have a support forum.

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply. The thing is that I've always been able to save the pw's for the sites. I'm not worried about such important sites like at&t etc, I'm more worried about forums and stuff.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

First, try running is safe-mode. On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items. See if this makes a difference.

If that doesn't help then try creating a new temporary profile and see what happens.

infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

It did ask me in safe mode. So you are saying that one of the plugins might affect this?
I'm using Flagfox, norton toolbar, speed dial, symantec ips, tab mix plus. These are all extensions. and the plugins are java, acrobat etc..
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

If all was OK in safe mode its probably an extension conflict. Disable 1/2 of them and restart. If the problem still exists then disable 1/2 of the remaining etc. etc until you find the offender.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I would disable them one at a time since you only have a few, restart and see what happens each time. I would start with norton toolbar and symantec ips. It is unlikely to be a plug-in and I doubt it is Flagfox.

infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

Weird.. I disabled them one at a time and tried after each one to see if it asks me to save passwords. It didn't, so I'm assuming that none of these extensions are affecting it. What else does it disable when you start it in safe mode?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

infernal29 wrote:Weird.. I disabled them one at a time and tried after each one to see if it asks me to save passwords. It didn't, so I'm assuming that none of these extensions are affecting it. What else does it disable when you start it in safe mode?

I'll assume that after disabling each extension... that you restarted Firefox ... because that's what you have to do. But, I suppose that some change in a userC.... .css could affect stuff.

Safe-mode disables other things (as listed below) but I feel that an extension is doing the bad. Try something... and this is not safe-mode. Start Firefox in regular mode and go down your list of extensions and disable each one... then restart Firefox and see what happens... if the problem is resolved then it is one of those exts... if not then something in Safe-mode "is" disabling the problem.

>What safe-mode does
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* The JIT Javascript compiler is disabled.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

Ok, so I tried uninstalling and removing the registry and also everything from AppData that had to do with Mozilla. It doesn't ask me on a clean install with no addons. It's really weird that it does ask me when it is in safe mode. I also looked at the options in safe mode and then on normal mode and they seem to be exactly the same. I have also reinstalled Java because I thought this might affect it but it didn't. Is there anything else to be done?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ttry creating a new temporary profile and see what happens.

infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

Same thing. RobertJ
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Can you give me the url where you tested it with a new profile?

infernal29

Post by infernal29 »

It's my school's online website. stagweb.fairfield.edu