[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rob64rock

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by rob64rock »

Chris000001 wrote:The current development version may be released soon as is, with a warning that it doesn't play well with updating user styles (Stylish.) rob64rock reported an error, but I can't figure out how to recreate it. Maybe if I release it, someone can come up with a way for me to recreate it (and fix it hopefully.)

I'm current using AUC 2.0beta1 and haven't seen any problems, when AUC detects userstyles updates or during update installations.

I would still put a warning on AMO site that states:

AUC doesn't play well when updating (Stylish) User styles, when http://userstyles.org site servers are having high traffic usage or are temporally down.
SJMarty

Post by SJMarty »

Chris000001 wrote:@SJMarty: That's fixed in the development latest version. What used to happen is, if there was an error getting a response, the icon wasn't reset. It's not actually doing anything, but being annoying.

I downloaded v2.0beta1 and it does indeed fix this issue. =D>

I have an idea about the icon. Right now, the icon is grayed out when there are no add-on updates available. It turns blue when updates are available. After the updates are installed, the icon stays blue until the browser is restarted. What are your thoughts on making the icon turn red when the updates have been installed but there is still a pending restart of the browser?
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

SJMarty wrote:
Chris000001 wrote:@SJMarty: That's fixed in the development latest version. What used to happen is, if there was an error getting a response, the icon wasn't reset. It's not actually doing anything, but being annoying.

I downloaded v2.0beta1 and it does indeed fix this issue. =D>

I have an idea about the icon. Right now, the icon is grayed out when there are no add-on updates available. It turns blue when updates are available. After the updates are installed, the icon stays blue until the browser is restarted. What are your thoughts on making the icon turn red when the updates have been installed but there is still a pending restart of the browser?

For me when AUC button icon is blue and I then select to install the available updates, shortly after the AUC button icon turns red if a browser restart is required, if none of the updates require a browser restart the AUC button disappears or it's icon turns grey depending on if you have AUC set to always show the AUC button.
SJMarty

Post by SJMarty »

Hmmm...strange. Mine never turns red.
zegames

Post by zegames »

indeed, is blue here too.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Are you both running the beta version? It only turns red in the beta (I have not looked at the code lately. I might have missed something.) Also, if it is a user script updating and it fails, it may stay blue.
Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

The AUC (2.0b1) button never turns red indeed. But this only happens if updates are downloaded by clicking the install updates button in the add-on manager. In this case the AUC install updates option remains active and it is possible to re-download them over and over again (if the network activity indicator doesn't lie).

On the other hand the AUC button never turns blue if the add-on manager menu option is used for checking.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Chris,

1.) Using WinXp with AUC 2.0beta1, this is in regards to the AUC urlbar notification, can you make AUC urlbar notification not be dependent/tied to the tab that happens to be in view when it appears, example I have four tabs in tab-bar viewing tab 1 and I get a AUC urlbar notification, I then ignore the notification just temporally by switching to other tab real quick and the AUC urlbar notification disappears and also if I close the tab that AUC urlbar notification originally appeared on the AUC urlbar notification stays gone en-defiantly until AUC happens to do another update check. If I switch back to the tab that AUC urlbar notification originally appeared on without closing it the AUC urlbar notification reappears. When switching tabs the AUC urlbar notification should stay visible in urlbar until I decide to select it's option.

2.) I don't know if AUC has ever done this, when having setting "restart after installation if needed" Disabled, When the Blue AUC urlbar notification appears and I select to install the available updates and it then disappears, then I expect a Red AUC urlbar notification to appear "stating that a restart is needed", but it never does. I stumbled on to this problem by thinking I could go without using the AUC toolbar button by putting it in the 'Customize Toolbar Palette' and only getting by using the AUC urlbar notifications and it's menu options.
sanjayen

Post by sanjayen »

I am unable to stop Addon Update Checker 2.0beta1 not check for updates to "Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant". I have put the string in the items not to check option both with and without the quotes. But the extension still prompts me to update.

How do I workaround this?
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

sanjayen wrote:I am unable to stop Addon Update Checker 2.0beta1 not check for updates to "Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant". I have put the string in the items not to check option both with and without the quotes. But the extension still prompts me to update.

How do I workaround this?

* Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant *
Not needed, How to remove/Uninstall:
http://wyday.com/blog/2008/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-net-framework-assistant-from-firefox/
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

@zegames: I haven't forgotten about your problem, but I haven't done much work on it yet (I have looked up some code to see if I can use nsIWindowMediator to find the correct window. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss of how I can fix it.)

@sanjayen: I would follow rob64rock suggestion on removing the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant unless you need it. I removed it here at home so I couldn't completely test your problem, but I did download the extension hosted on addons.mozilla.org. I edited the version number so an update would be found. When I added Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant to the blacklist, it was not found. I may have the original Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant that is automatically installed by .net still on my work PC, but it will be a few days until I can test more.

@rob64rock:I think I also added a few more lines of code to try to deal with userstyles, but nothing that I really think fixes it correctly. Plus what I have written below for everyone.

AUC 2.0 beta 2: I have changed the notification popup code. It now is persistent through 5 url changes on the tab that is displayed when AUC finds an update, meaning if the popup shows and you click on the page to dismiss it, the icon will stick around for a while. You can click the icon to bring the notification back up. Also, if you change tabs, a new notification is displayed and the counter that allows for 5 url changes is reset. It's also persistent when the page changes without clicking on a like (back/forward mouse buttons for instance.) After installing updates the notification changes to "Restart" and sticks around the same way. This all does lead to one slight irritant. You have to either restart or select "Hide this notification" to really get rid of it, although clicking anywhere on the page you are looking at temporarily dismisses it.
I haven't done much testing on the new notification code.
darkred

Post by darkred »

One more issue to report:
if you have an extension installed, such as this great one UI Enhancer
that, (with your extension disabled) when you click Tools>Add-ons> it's Options button
then it opens as a page inside the Add-ons page - not as a pop.

If your Extension Options Menu (2.0.1) addon is enabled
and you click UI Enhancer's Options button via your addon (Firefox button>Add-ons>UI Enhancer item, then it opens ok.
But, if you try to open it via Tools>Add-ons
then you get this a little popup instead:
'(Firefox for desktop) list fixed bugs in Mercurial' userscript:
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
My other userscripts: GreasyFork OpenUserJS
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

zakk wrote:One more issue to report:
if you have an extension installed, such as this great one UI Enhancer
that, (with your extension disabled) when you click Tools>Add-ons> it's Options button
then it opens as a page inside the Add-ons page - not as a pop.

If your Extension Options Menu (2.0.1) addon is enabled
and you click UI Enhancer's Options button via your addon (Firefox button>Add-ons>UI Enhancer item, then it opens ok.
But, if you try to open it via Tools>Add-ons
then you get this a little popup instead:

When you say, "But, if you try to open it via Tools>Add-ons" with EOM enabled, do you mean once the addons page is displayed you click the options button like you described in the first paragraph (from the addons manager)? Or, are you using the Extension Options>UI Enhancer menu item in the tools menu. In the tools menu EOM doesn't do anything to the 'Add-ons' button, so if it's changed, maybe you have another extension that changes it? I tested it here and i couldn't get it to fail. (I also can't see the image here at work, but I think I know what it shows.)
darkred

Post by darkred »

I found what the problem was: and it didn't have to do with your addon. Sorry.

It has to do with Firefox itself:
to recreate it yourself:
- make a clean Firefox profile,
- install only the forementioned UI Enhancer addon (or whatever other addon that displays its Options inside the Addons Manager and not in a seperate window)
- go to Tools>Add-ons (or Firefox button>Add-ons , or doubleclick on the add-ons name -it's all the same-)
and in the initial/alphabetical listing you press the add-on's Options button:
It will display the options inside the addons Manager window, ok, as expected.

-BUT, if, (inside the addons Manager window), you press the cogwheel icon dropdown menu and click "View Recent Updates"
and in that view you click once more the add-on's Options button,
then you will surely get that popup error.

In other words, the Options button for addons that display their Options inside inside the Addons Manager
doesn't work in the "Recent Updates" view.
Last edited by darkred on January 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'(Firefox for desktop) list fixed bugs in Mercurial' userscript:
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
My other userscripts: GreasyFork OpenUserJS
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

zakk wrote:I found what the problem was: and it didn't have to do with your addon. Sorry.

It has to do with Firefox itself:
to recreate it yourself:
- make a clean Firefox profile,
- install only the forementioned UI Enhancer addon (or whatever other addon that displays its Options inside the Addons Manager and not in a seperate window)
- go to Tools>Add-ons (or Firefox button>Add-ons , or doubleclick on the add-ons name -it's all the same-)
and in the initial/alphabetical listing you press the add-on's Options button:
It will display the options inside the addons Manager window, ok, as expected.

-BUT, if, (inside the addons Manager window), you press the cogwheel icon dropdown menu and click "View Recent Updates"
and in that view you click once more the add-on's Options button,
then you will surely get that popup error.

I can confirm on WinXP, the Add-on Options just need to be viewable within the Add-on Manager and not a dialog window for the bug to occur when selecting the the Add-on's Options button in the "Recently Updates" category(CSS id="category-recentUpdates") of the Add-on Manager.

zakk, Once you file the bug on Bugzilla, I will be happy to confirm it there as well.