is an howto compile Seamonkey somewhere available?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
oui

is an howto compile Seamonkey somewhere available?

Post by oui »

Hi

As I am using both Seamonkey and Instantbird (pre pre pre versions) long years ago and be glad about Instantbird, I would be interessting to have a smaller build of both all in one.

The staff of Instantbird did explain what is to do:

Code: Select all

- compile xulrunner
- compiler Firefox et Instantbird with --with-libxul-sdk  in the mozconfig

So will they have the same Mozilla engine.

no experience if  --with-libxul-sdk can also work with Seamonkey.

to find an adequate version, please check in the Instantbird release notes which version of Mozilla is actually used in the actual release of Instantbird.

Hm...

As I did never compile somewhat myself in Linux :-" as Debian offers enough pre compiled stuff, I am overwhelmed by this matter, as I also remember, that user did already complain in forums, that they did meet problems compiling Mozilla although they are experimented in compiling divers things in Linux.

What is to do concretely to compile Mozilla?

Is a HOWTO (better step by step) for exactly this matter available somewhere in the web?
rsx11m

Re: is an howto compile Seamonkey somewhere available?

Post by rsx11m »

Have a look at https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions as a starting point. The "simple build" from trunk is fairly straight-forward, the biggest issues are to make sure that all development library packages are present on your machine and that you pick some useful set of options in the .mozconfig file.

The 3rd-part build forum at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42 should be a better place to ask for specific questions like XULrunner options.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

SeaMonkey (and Thunderbird) don't support building as XULRunner applications due to our MailNews code still using the Internal API. This means that our MN code has to be statically linked into libxul.so. It's only very recently that due to the efforts of a Red Hat coder and our Neil that we've been able to compile with External API so our mailnews code lives outside libxul (so we can build with a more or less stock libxul which can be shared with other XULRunner applications. When I say compiles successfully it still doesn't mean that such builds will actually run properly. Still we're making progress.

Phil
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Philip Chee wrote:This means that our MN code has to be statically linked into libxul.so ... compile with External API so our mailnews code lives outside libxul

Before everything was squeezed into a single libxul.so shared library it was possible to have a separate libmail.so by specifying dynamic linkage in mozconfig. So, as it appears, this goes back into this direction to avoid any XULrunner conflicts.