firefox 9.1

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
The real eee

firefox 9.1

Post by The real eee »

Security >>privacy & history have i visited this site prior to today ? yes , 10500 times

the bug is that the number keeps going down from hour to hour, to say like that. the example mentioned is for www.google.com
3-4 hours ago number was 10985, then i noted all frequent sites and all changes in a lower number. tested with a site that i never entered on him and same thing.

Someone knows how to repair this?

PS: i dont have options: delete history on exit, and so on, this happens w/o closing the browser. #-o
patrickjdempsey

Re: firefox 9.1

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It sounds like you have a simply massive history spanning back several years sitting on a harddrive with relatively little free space. Firefox automatically cuts out old data to make sure that the history file never expands beyond a certain percentage of your available hard-drive space. You may consider running the Windows cleaner utility to clean up things like your recycle bin, and IE history/cache/temp files which often end up taking quite a bit of the free space on a drive.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
The real eee

Post by The real eee »

yeah if you could help me a little more, i read what you said and you have right but :

i have ccleaner and every 3 days i delete everything from ie and opera even theyr cache is limited to 100 mb. At firefox nothing is enabled. I have 20 gb free space on system partition and firefox dosent have cache limited to a certain space.(limit cache to of space is disabled)

but massive history how you said is from backup, this backup contains more than 3 years of info i think, from firefox 3 when i discovered mozbackup, a backup has 100 mb.

when i backup at what should i renounce when i'll do a new backup, besides download history?
Last edited by The real eee on January 24th, 2012, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If you have plenty of free space then you must have reached the limit for how big the history can be. This also includes bookmarks as well as history so if you have 3 years of bookmarks and history that's gonna be a big file.

You can keep as much history as you like, just be aware that Firefox is going to be progressively throwing out the old stuff as new stuff comes in. Personally, I dump all of the history on Firefox exit, so I'm the wrong person to ask about how much to keep. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
The real eee

Post by The real eee »

yeah, i had another problem and i needed to use about:config

Checked every function there and i saw a setting called: browser.history_expire_days.mirror , was set to 180 and another with size.
Is about settings.

L.E: yeah, true, i think you can use old firefox 3 settings in firefox 9/10 with this command in about:config or create a setting in user.js

privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs true
Last edited by The real eee on February 2nd, 2012, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

The real eee wrote:yeah, i had another problem and i needed to use about:config

Checked every function there and i saw a setting called: browser.history_expire_days.mirror , was set to 180 and another with size.
Is about settings.

Fx 9 cache management is now done automatically based on available Ram or Disk space you computer has, a-lot of work has gone into Fx cache performance it no-longer really required to set it size, but if you insist setting it to set value by going into Fx options selecting to 'Override Automatic Cache Management" I set mine to 75MB.
You could also try this Add-on if want to restore 'Keep history by Days" option that was in in Fx 3.6.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/expire-history-by-days