How to view ALL Hotmail folders in Thunderbird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Petula

How to view ALL Hotmail folders in Thunderbird?

Post by Petula »

I access a Hotmail account via Thunderbird.

Here's the problem:
Often, a small percentage of IMPORTANT messages somehow end up arriving in the "Bulk Mail" folder in my Hotmail account.
How can I review them in Thunderbird?
Thunderbird doesn't show the Bulk Mail folder freom Hotmail.

The best situation would be that I could check the Subject and Sender of messages in the Hotmail Bulk Mail folder. [However, I could stand to download the body and attachments of all messages in the Bulk Mail folder - even though I prefer not to waste the download time for messages I don't want.]
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

How are you accessing Hotmail in Thunderbird? Which helper program/extension are you using?
Petula

Post by Petula »

Hi Daifne
I'm using the WebMail 1.0.17 and the WebMail - Hotmail 1.0.16 extensions to view my HotMail account via Thubderbird.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I don't use Hotmail myself, but isn't there a way to configure the extension to get your bulk folder?
Petula

Post by Petula »

How/where would I look in order to see and select between configuration-options for the two extensions to Thunderbird?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Take a look around in this topic dedicated to the extension: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=439333
Petula

Post by Petula »

I looked and found that topic doesn't address my issue.

Nevertheless, I think I may be getting "warm".
However, I still need and would appreciate some help to get all the way.

In Thunderbird, I went to: Tools/Extensions/WebMail - Hotmail 1.0.16/Options/POP/
There I tried one new option; and subsequently another new option:
- First I tried Download folders/Add/Bulk Mail
- Subsequently I tried Download JunkMail
After selecting each option, I closed the dialog and clicked on Get Mail/Get All New Messages.
In neither case did the Bulk Mail folder (in Hotmail) or its contents download into Thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

My impression was that you could configure other folders to be downloaded using that extension, but their contents would be merged into the inbox folder. It would not create a local copy of that folder.

You would have to use message filters that tested the X-Folder header that the extension added to specify the original folder to move the messages to the desired local folder.
Mr Hotmail

Re: How to view ALL Hotmail folders in Thunderbird?

Post by Mr Hotmail »

SOLUTION: As Hotmail is a POP3 account, not IMAP, following these steps is the simplest way. You need to:
* Create a 'Temp' folder in Hotmail
* Select all your messages in your Hotmail Inbox and move them to a new 'Temp' folder
* Create a 'Temp' folder in Thunderbird
* Select all your messages in your TB Inbox and move them to a new 'Temp' folder
* Say you want to copy all your messages from your 'Finance' sub folder from Hotmail to Thunderbird. For each of the messages you have in 'Finance' sub-folder, move all these messages to your Inbox
* Go to Thunderbird and refresh - this will bring all of Hotmail's Inbox through to TB (they're actually the Finance folder messages now)
* Create a new 'Finance' folder in Thunderbird
* Move all of the messages in your TB inbox to the new 'Finance' folder
* Go back to Hotmail and follow the same process for each sub folder, copying all the messages in each sub folder one by one to your Inbox, then into TB.
* Done!
DanRaisch

Re: How to view ALL Hotmail folders in Thunderbird?

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your trying but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for five years!

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.