Flash and Firefox 10

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Flash and Firefox 10

Post by Guest »

I seem to be having weird little hiccups with the latest version of Flash and Firefox 10. When I try to type in a text box on a website, on my address bar, or on my search bar, the text cursor and highlighting (e.g. selecting text) seems to disappear even though I can still see what I type in the text box. Also, if I try to press enter while in the text box (e.g. submit information, go to a URL, search for something), the browser doesn't seem to respond to pressing enter. The only thing I've noticed is that this happens every time I look at Flash content. I've tried reinstalling Firefox, reinstalling Flash, and reset my preferences. Previous versions of Firefox do not do this. Any idea on what I can do? Could this be some hardware limitation? Possibly incompatibility with the current version of Flash? Any help is greatly appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Flash and Firefox 10

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
Wilderness Of Mirrors

Post by Wilderness Of Mirrors »

I am having the same exact problem with Firefox 10 and Flash. The stuff starts happening right after I view YouTube or other Flash videos. It goes back to normal if I minimize then maximize the window. Started as soon as I upgraded to Firefox 10. I can't see cursor in search boxes, but I can type. Also, all of the words at the top menu - file, edit, view, etc - go from black to a lighter shade. All of this gets fixed when I minimize and maximize Firefox.
Just sayin

Post by Just sayin »

Yeah, I'm also having the same problem using Firefox 10. The best way to reproduce the problem is by going to Youtube and just selecting any video to watch. Once you select the video, assuming the video plays automatically, jump ahead. By that I mean if the video is 4 mins long, jump ahead to the 1:25 min mark or wherever you want to jump to. Then immediately move your mouse scroll wheel up and down really fast. You'll know you've done it right when the page stops scrolling up and down. You can click on the page you were on to start scrolling up/down again. You will now see that the text cursor disappears when you go to the address and search bar. To make it reappear just do what Wilderness of Mirrors did.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Guest wrote:I seem to be having weird little hiccups with the latest version of Flash and Firefox 10. When I try to type in a text box on a website, on my address bar, or on my search bar, the text cursor and highlighting (e.g. selecting text) seems to disappear even though I can still see what I type in the text box.

You should reset dom.ipc.plugins.enabled
noamparn

Post by noamparn »

I've been having the EXACT same problem for a while now. I'm currently running Firefox Aurora 11 on Windows, but I noticed it a few versions ago already.

I can reproduce it by playing a YouTube video, pausing it, moving to another tab, and then clicking in the Search box.
I ran in Safe Mode, and the same exact thing happens (so it isn't one of my extensions).
I have this on multiple machines, so I don't think it is my profile (I'm NOT syncing my profile between machines).

I've been searching for this issue for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen anyone else with the exact same issue I have.
I'm hoping someone comes up with a fix for it.

I looked at the "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled" setting, but it is already set to the default.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

noamparn, because you are using a pre-release version you should post about this in the Builds forum. To do that you have to be registered on the forums.
noamparn

Post by noamparn »

DanRaisch wrote:noamparn, because you are using a pre-release version you should post about this in the Builds forum. To do that you have to be registered on the forums.

I was having the same thing on Release builds on my wife's PC, as well.

I have some more detail on the problem, and perhaps someone else can test it and see if they can re-create it on a Release build, too:

1) Open Firefox, and at least one or two other tabs (google or Yahoo are fine on those tabs)
2) Open Youtube, and start playing a video
3) pause the video
4) switch to another tab, and then click in the Search box at the top or the Address Bar. The blinking cursor should be missing now.
5) Switch to any other application (pressing the Start button is enough, even), then switch back to Firefox.
6) Click in the Search Box or the Address Bar again. The cursor should be back now.

If someone else can test this in a release version of Firefox, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Jacinto

Post by Jacinto »

I also have had this issue since the upgrade to FF 10.0, trying to figure out what's going on for the last two days.

Menu Bar - fades in a ghost-like mode
Address Bar, search bar next to Address bar, and even textfields within a site all have cursor invisibility problem (note this also means highlighting prior search text within search bar, placing cursor or any such action remains invisible.
Also putting a URL in address bar or text in search bar and pressing return does not work, but clicking on end of text field icons/figures does work.

I confirm also that disabling addons and extensions do not improve the problem.

I also believe it is related to video or at least video is part of the issue, since youtube or other video sites have the same issue.

Seems a bit odd to me that the menu bar is simultaneously affected...is this a firefox skin or theme issue perhaps?

Apologies for any redundancies, just want to get it all down. I will add that it is indeed surprisingly annoying.
Jacinto

Post by Jacinto »

Incidentally perhaps, I am on a laptop with just fingerpad and scroll stick, no mouse to test other issues.
LaL-Sven

Post by LaL-Sven »

The same thing happens when switching between java applets and regular input on Firefox 10. We have a Java-based chat on our web-page (http://www.landsandlords.de). When the focus is on the chat window and the user types, the focus doesn't return properly to the other text input boxes of Firefox, such as the address bar, the search box, or input fields on the current web page. Sometimes you can type, but the caret is not shown and the text can not be highlighted. The problem can be repaired by switching to another application or minimizing and restoring the Firefox window.

This problem occurs with Firefox 10, not any earlier version, on Windows. The problem is reproducible and happens to multiple people. I found it when I upgraded to Firefox 10 because a user alerted me to it.
anonymous284

Post by anonymous284 »

the same problem happens to me but it isn't flash videos only.
i get this problem while using java aplications(mainly runescape webbrowser java based game), flash videos, and pages like speedtest and pingtest (they're flash based)
Just sayin

Post by Just sayin »

Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled back to true didn't really fix my problem.

The way I fixed my problem was by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll in about:config to true.
Jacinto

Post by Jacinto »

anonymous284 wrote:the same problem happens to me but it isn't flash videos only.
i get this problem while using java aplications(mainly runescape webbrowser java based game), flash videos, and pages like speedtest and pingtest (they're flash based)

Speedtest.net worked for me actually strangely.

Actually replying here and the problem occurs in the Confirmation code as well as this very text box, at least it is right now.
noamparn

Post by noamparn »

Just sayin wrote:Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled back to true didn't really fix my problem.

The way I fixed my problem was by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll in about:config to true.

Thanks, that seemed to fix it for me, too (so far, at least).