Odd MozillaZine Behavior, New Address, etc.

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
John Liebson

Odd MozillaZine Behavior, New Address, etc.

Post by John Liebson »

Sometime yesterday morning, I found that I could not access MozillaZine at all. In investigating the problem(s), I found that the bookmarks I had been using for many months, starting with the installation of the new servers, no longer worked. (savanna.mozillazine.org.)

Instead, things had changed back to the previous address of forums.mozillazine.org. However, even using that adddress, I was unable to access the forums for perhaps twenty hours. When trying again early today, after the fifth or sixth time, I was suddenly able to access MozillaZine.

A few hours after being able to peruse the forums, I again found myself unable to access MozillaZine for an hour or so.

I've read the threads about the timing problem with the forums, but that problem does not seem to apply to my access problems.

Any pertinent ideas as to why the address suddenly changed, why I had problems for a long time in accessing the forums, and then again had a recurring problem earlier today?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I have always used forums.mozillazine.org as far as I can remember - certainly no recent changes.

Other than that, it sounds like perhaps the DNS servers you are using (usually provided by your ISP) have been flakey.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

makaiguy wrote:I have always used forums.mozillazine.org as far as I can remember - certainly no recent changes.

Other than that, it sounds like perhaps the DNS servers you are using (usually provided by your ISP) have been flakey.

As I recall, the change to savanna..., as I wrote earlier, took place during the changeover to the new servers. I have two Personal Toolbar entries for MozillaZine, one for logging on, another without the login; I use the latter frequently for perusing the forums.

And, again, as I wrote, until sometime yesterday morning, the non-login one worked fine: Around 0530 local, I clicked on it, was taken directly to MozillaZine, etc. It was later that morning when that entry resulted in an "unable to connect/locate" message; the logon entry worked in the sense that it said something to the effect of "You are lost; here are some links to try." It was in trying one or two of those links that I found out that forums.mozillazine.org was now--for me, at least--the proper URL, even if it would not actually work for the rest of the day, etc.

As far as DNS servers being flakey, yes, that is possible, but none of the multitude of the heavenly hosts (er, mutlitude of URLS) that I called on failed; only MZ was a problem.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

We have moved to having one webhost while the other is being rebuilt, so all services are coming off of savanna, which is why you saw this. I suspect the reason you had to use savanna in the first place is that your dns was slow to update. forums.mz.org is the correct place to go.

jason
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

kerz wrote:We have moved to having one webhost while the other is being rebuilt, so all services are coming off of savanna, which is why you saw this. I suspect the reason you had to use savanna in the first place is that your dns was slow to update. forums.mz.org is the correct place to go.

jason

Well, given how many months it was between my starting and stopping the use of savanna, I'd have to agree that the dns was slow...