What is up with UMO?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
alanjstr

What is up with UMO?

Post by alanjstr »

Let me start by saying that development work on UMO has restarted. 11 bugs have been fixed in CVS.

UMO is a closely watched project by many people. We certainly don't want you downloading things that will harm your computer. To that end, we are establishing a weekly meeting to discuss issues, performing a security audit, and putting together a process for testing things.

UMO also gets slashdotted when a release comes out, not to mention our regular heavy load of people seeking updates.

I hope that the resources that run ExtensionRoom and ExtensionMirror will come over to help with UMO. Indeed, we'll be looking for a lot of help with testing out extensions and themes.

So what does the future hold?

We're moving to an internal search engine instead of google
We're fixing those annoying typos
We also plan to add Nvu to our site.

After that:
A code rewrite, using templates, PEAR:DB, and probably some other nifty stuff.

So things are definitely happening behind the scenes. In order for us to make a great site, we have to slow down and make sure everything is covered.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

What about the Dev CP? How soon will it be turned on? What is/are the bug(s) that made you turn it off (or is that a security issue)?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

The Dec CP will be turned back on once we have a better approval process in place.
Lost User 23429

Post by Lost User 23429 »

Internal searching engine, Nvu ---- Wow! Things are rolling again.
phun

Post by phun »

do you need internal webapp developers to volunteer?
Ihoss

Post by Ihoss »

you still have a lost div tag over on the right hand side. Thought I should mention that :)

alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Ihoss wrote:you still have a lost div tag over on the right hand side. Thought I should mention that :)

Actually, its a broken image link, so you're seeing the alt text. I submitted a fix for that page, but its not a priority.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I tried to subscribe to the RSS feed for new Firefox extensions using the web aggregator Bloglines (www.bloglines.com), but Bloglines tells me that there's no such feed. I've never seen Bloglines choke on a feed before (I have about 130 of them); is the problem on their end or on UMO? They are huge Firefox fans, so I'm sure they'd be glad to tweak their code if necessary.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

ehume

Post by ehume »

Thanks for your work. Although I don't like to wait, I appreciate the fact that you all are working on it and working to get it right.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
roth377

Post by roth377 »

Thanks for all the hard work on UMO, it keeps getting better.

Do you think you will be able to add a sort function to the listings, specifically by update/add date?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

I had a nice addendum and then I lost my connection to MZ. Let me sum up:

Probably gonna be a few weeks to make sure we have everything in place. We want to make sure UMO is a quality product and unfortunately it means grinding to a halt while we have the policies and procedures put in place.

Any enhancement requests should go through Bugzilla. The advanced search we're working on might provide you with sort.
roth377

Post by roth377 »

Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to utilize Bugzilla in the future if need be, but here's hoping the advanced search is all I need. :)
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

thenightfly42 wrote:I tried to subscribe to the RSS feed for new Firefox extensions using the web aggregator Bloglines (www.bloglines.com), but Bloglines tells me that there's no such feed. I've never seen Bloglines choke on a feed before (I have about 130 of them); is the problem on their end or on UMO? They are huge Firefox fans, so I'm sure they'd be glad to tweak their code if necessary.

alanjstr wrote:They're at the bottom of https://addons.update.mozilla.org/about/

Ah, let me rephrase that. I went to the RSS feed on UMO and selected Copy Link Location, and pasted that URL into Bloglines, and that failed: "No feeds were found. Please verify that the website publishes an RSS feed." I also tried left-clicking on the RSS feed, then copying the URL out of the URLBar and into Bloglines, and that also failed.

I suppose it works with the Firefox built-in LiveFeed, but I'd prefer to access it elsewhere.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

We have an open bug for making them autodiscoverable