moving thunderbird email from one computer to another

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jfly

moving thunderbird email from one computer to another

Post by jfly »

Hello all, I have been trying to find the best way to move thunderbird emails from my laptop to my desktop. So far I have found a way to save them one at a time, and to save a profile (but not able to import it it). I see the way to import emails from Eudora, etc. but not from another Thunderbird profile folder.

Anyone have a good process?
kryten_nl

Post by kryten_nl »

File -> Open Saved message

Is that what your looking for?
jfly

Post by jfly »

Hi, no...I have a whole tree of folders with emails on my laptop. I want to save them and move them to my desktop (now that I am back from my trip). I dont see a way of saving/exporting them all. I see a way to save each individually and a way to export a profile. However when I add the laptop profile to my desktop I dont see a way to import it into the personal folders. Thanks!
kryten_nl

Post by kryten_nl »

Well, If you create a dummy second profile and copy all of them there, the merge the two profiles.
This should contain all the background info:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... .2FRestore
jfly

Post by jfly »

right, but how do I copy(import) the emails (into) there? I have created a second profile but don't see a way to import all of my laptop emails into it. I see that I can recreate settings, but not to import all of the data.
kryten_nl

Post by kryten_nl »

Copy the contents of your profile directory on your laptop, to the directory of the profile on your PC.
Read the references I mentioned, it will help (probably).
jfly

Post by jfly »

ah yes, did this and ran into a big issue. It seems that one of the emails I had in my old inbox was viral (even tho norton didn't catch it, w32.netsky.P@mm!enc) and by my moving the profile into my desktop the saving process automatically opened the email (is this possible with .eml files?) and infected my computer (norton notified me that it was occurring but couldn't repair the file). So, evne tho I understood that thunderbird was suposed ot not automatically open these types of emails, etc. I wonder if there needs to be a mention in the FAQ about possible viruses and saving profiles. In the meantime, if anyone has an plan on how to remove this netsky let me know. Thanks!
kryten_nl

Post by kryten_nl »

You may have the virus on HD, but I doubt your computer is infected.
Download AVG and see what that says: http://www.grisoft.com
Make sure it doesn't quarentine your Inbox

Post by Guest »

ok, will try it, thanks very much. But in regard to this string, is there another way to save emails (from one folder), without having to save each individually?
kryten_nl

Post by kryten_nl »

Try the AutoSave extension by AusDilecce here:
http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/