[Ext] GlassMyFox - GlassMyBird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

[Ext] GlassMyFox - GlassMyBird

Post by Aris »

GlassMyFox and GlassMyBird support page
(Bugs, problems and questions regarding GlassMyFox/GlassMyBird belong here)

GlassMyFox @ Mozilla add-ons: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/glassmyfox/ - GMF dev releases @ versions page

GlassMyBird @ Mozilla add-ons: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/glassmybird/ - GMB dev releases @ versions page

GlassMyFox enables (more) 'AeroGlass'-effects for the default Firefox theme.

GlassMyBird enables (more) 'AeroGlass'-effects for the default Thunderbird theme.

Collection of my legacy add-ons (previously on AMO): last reviewed versions (I removed all Firefox add-ons from AMO, because AMO lacks responsibility to keep add-ons review system clean. AMO allows troll parasites to anonymously post false reviews without properly moderating/removing them [like happened in the past].)

'AeroGlass' must be enabled inside Windows gui settings!
Only possible for Windows 7/Vista! Windows XP (and older) and Windows 8 final do not offer Aero(Glass)

Note
Many menus, toolbars and windows are transparent but transparency is not possible everywhere.

Before reporting bugs/glitches/problems make sure you have tested your application (Firefox/Thunderbird) on a clean profile with no other add-on(s) installed (or at least disable them). Screenshots are welcome.
Last edited by Aris on August 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Xetmes

Re: [Ext] GlassMyFox - GlassMyBird

Post by Xetmes »

Hi

You have made very nice add-on, I've test it yesterday, but for me there was to much glass in final result, I miss option to disable glass option for, example, "Options" window, also miss option for change not active text color in popup menus, but I like idea and way how this work, I've use Your css to make glass menus only, works perfect!
Keep up good work!
Aris

Post by Aris »

Xetmes wrote:Hi

You have made very nice add-on, I've test it yesterday, but for me there was to much glass in final result, I miss option to disable glass option for, example, "Options" window, also miss option for change not active text color in popup menus, but I like idea and way how this work, I've use Your css to make glass menus only, works perfect!
Keep up good work!

Do you mean by "active text color" the hovered items or the "not disabled" items? Try the latest dev version or use another font option to see more difference. The option/preference/dialog windows will get an own option in a future release.
dansx6

Post by dansx6 »

aris-12
I have been using stylish and my "not so good" css skills to glass both my FF and TB. This add on is excellent! Thanks
Viggen66

Post by Viggen66 »

From all the addons I have come across, this is by far, the best one to enhance a true eye candy for firefox, previous from this I have used Stratiform, but it didn't have the full glass effect for open tabs, and this one has, the only drop down I have notice, is when you open a new tab, you notice a slight lag, and some darken brow background, apart from this, the author really made an awesome work, congratulations on your achievement.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Viggen66 wrote:From all the addons I have come across, this is by far, the best one to enhance a true eye candy for firefox, previous from this I have used Stratiform, but it didn't have the full glass effect for open tabs, and this one has, the only drop down I have notice, is when you open a new tab, you notice a slight lag, and some darken brow background, apart from this, the author really made an awesome work, congratulations on your achievement.

Thanks.

About the lag: Maybe this happens due a huge hdd load? The glassy new tab feature only works with Stylish add-on installed and I think there is the darken brown background from. Could you try to temporary disable this feature by switching the last setting in GMF settings to on?
Viggen66

Post by Viggen66 »

HI aris

Correct me if i’m wrong, is not really a lag, but when you open a new tab, all firefox has the glass effect including the space where is displayed the website, and instantly after that, the same background turns to white except the tab; it’s between the time firefox display glass effect and white background that I notice the lag, but sometimes owing to the usage of HD or CPU, you don’t notice this.

For example, when you boot up firefox, the background for the website is automatically white, so no lag at all., the brown I previously said was due of the wallpaper I was using.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Viggen66 wrote:HI aris

Correct me if i’m wrong, is not really a lag, but when you open a new tab, all firefox has the glass effect including the space where is displayed the website, and instantly after that, the same background turns to white except the tab; it’s between the time firefox display glass effect and white background that I notice the lag, but sometimes owing to the usage of HD or CPU, you don’t notice this.

For example, when you boot up firefox, the background for the website is automatically white, so no lag at all., the brown I previously said was due of the wallpaper I was using.

Hi, I noticed a small delay (less than half a second) on Firefox happens sometimes when a page is opened in a new tab. Most of the time it is not noticable, but with GMF installed and enabled you notice it because you see the transparent background of the "about:blank" page before FF redirects to the selected website.
Viggen66

Post by Viggen66 »

So this small and most unnoticed delay is so embedded on firefox, that there isn’t any small solution for it.
axel-san

Post by axel-san »

Hi aris,
I'm who told you before about the thin line between the tab bar and the address bar (using Tabs on Top). I took your answer and installed Stylish using the script you suggested and worked fine.
So, here comes my new question, is it possible to make that thin line doesn't show under the active tab? In my opinion, that would help a lot to distinguish between the active tab and unactive tabs, which is the main reason why I told you about drawing a small line.
Aris

Post by Aris »

axel-san wrote:Hi aris,
I'm who told you before about the thin line between the tab bar and the address bar (using Tabs on Top). I took your answer and installed Stylish using the script you suggested and worked fine.
So, here comes my new question, is it possible to make that thin line doesn't show under the active tab? In my opinion, that would help a lot to distinguish between the active tab and unactive tabs, which is the main reason why I told you about drawing a small line.

Hi Axel, if you only want to better distinguish between tabs you can try another settings in GMF settings. If none of them fulfills your needs you can try this code:

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[selected=true] {
   background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(bottom, hsla(0,0%,100%, .7) 1px, transparent 0px),
   -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,100%,.1), hsla(0,0%,100%,.0) 60%) !important;
}

The selected tab will remain transparent with a 1px "semiwhite" line at the bottom.

Change the ".7" (.1-.99) to set a different opacity and change the "1px" to set a different "semiwhite" line height.
axel-san

Post by axel-san »

Hi aris,
First, thanks for your quick answer. I think I didn't explain myself very clear, I want a line under the whole tab bar, but not under the active tab.
And can you tell me if I can change the color of the line (like a gray or black line)? This would help to match the default color of the tabs border.
Maybe this image will help to understand what I'm trying to get.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2n08mm0.png
clink on link to view image
Is there a code to make it look like this? I think this would be a nice feature for future releases of GMF.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

axel-san, please use thumbnails or at least smaller images.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If your tabs are transparent, you cannot have a line that does not appear on the selected tab. That is because the line actually appears below the tabs and some opaque part of the selected tab has to cover it up to make it disappear. This is one of the trade-offs of having transparency everywhere.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Aris

Post by Aris »

@axel-san: what patrickjdempsey said. ;-)

This is possible:
- line on active tab or
- line on all opened tabs or
- line on all opened tabs but active or
- line between tabbar and navbar (affects all tabs)

A combination of some of them will result in an ugly looking tab appearance.

In themes using images there is maybe a way to trick the appearace but on full transparency with no images its unfortunately not possible.