[Ext] TotalMessage 4.0 [2018-08-31]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
alta88

Re: [Ext] TotalMessage 1.0 [2011-12-18]

Post by alta88 »

Code: Select all

#messageContentBody {
  background-color: red;
}

perhaps a future version will integrate the Options pref.

[edit] actually, you can edit the .xpi with something like 7Zip and delete the background-color: white line from chrome/skin/global/message.css.
Bernd S.

Post by Bernd S. »

Oh yes, that was very simple, now it's working.
My monitor screen is very bright and it makes my eyes burning.
So I must avoid all white backgrounds.

thx
kwoid

Post by kwoid »

Thanks a lot for enabeling manual message threading with your add-on.
It seems, that for emails with a child the threading has to be removed before I can assign a new parent. It would be nice, if I could thread not only single mails but whole (parts of) threads with one operation.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

you should just be able to drag it to a new parent regardless of whether it has children. rethreading a message will cause its children to thread to the message's parent message. as the doc states, editing/rethreading is single message only, and multimessage moves aren't supported. children would have to be individually rethreaded.

that said, yes it would be nicer to do it all at once, but the code would be differently designed as a batch operation that would have to consider large numbers of children (thus rewrites) and maybe large attachments.
kwoid

Post by kwoid »

alta88 wrote:you should just be able to drag it to a new parent regardless of whether it has children.

OK. I ignored your statement in the feature list. ;-) But rethreading of emails with child works for me only with mouse but not with keyboard.
Another topic: there seems to be a bug in the configuration GUI Image
As you see the header name column is emty (regardless the system language here on Thunderbird 9/Ubuntu 11.10)
alta88

Post by alta88 »

kwoid wrote:
alta88 wrote:you should just be able to drag it to a new parent regardless of whether it has children.

OK. I ignored your statement in the feature list. ;-) But rethreading of emails with child works for me only with mouse but not with keyboard.
Another topic: there seems to be a bug in the configuration GUI Image
As you see the header name column is emty (regardless the system language here on Thunderbird 9/Ubuntu 11.10)

well, keyboard works for me. you need to select the message, ctrl-h to get into edit mode, ctrl-d to set the drag target, arrow up or down to the new parent, then ctrl-d to drop it there.

the first column (header name) needs to be sized larger... all columns can be dragged to size their width. the display name override column is usually blank unless you customize it.
hansdampfo

Post by hansdampfo »

Hi, I realy like TotalMessage. For me it just takes a bit to much place on the screen away. I don't need that optionbar over the attachments and the font is a bit to big. But it is now a standard add-on for my TB, thanks.
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Hi, I've just tried TotalMessage on my Thunderbird installation. Thank you, alta88, for developing it. I was hoping that it could replace my current (sub-optimal) solution of: Mnenhy + Attachment Options + a bunch of UserChrome.css customizations
I found TotalMessage very promising, but unfortunately it falls a bit short of my needs. I hope it'll be further developed and maybe incorporate some of the suggestions that we add in this thread.

My comments:
- Could the Attachments Toolbar also have an option of placing it ON TOP, between the headers and the message? That's the way Outlook, Pocomail/Barca, Mulberry and probably most other email clients do it, and that's the way I find most intuitive. I had to customize my userChrome.css and my userChrome.xml with bindings to be able to have attachments on top in Thunderbird. It'd be wonderful if TotalMessage gave us that option.
- Could the "actions line" (for lack of a better term) of the Attachments Toolbar be made toggle-able? I find it too large to be displayed constantly over (or below, if my "attachments-on-top" wish comes true) the attachments.
- This is maybe a bug, or maybe my mistake, but I thought I'd report it here: when I add a custom name for a header on the "Display Name Override" column, the name doesn't show. The cell stays blank, however, the name override sticks and the header is shown in the header pane with the custom name. I hope I was able to explain it clearly.
- Two minor cosmetic issues: the splitter between the headers and the message is too thick. A simple line would look better IMHO. And also the first line of the headers is slightly larger than the other lines. This may be because of the need of adding button on the right side of that line, but perhaps that line can be made to look the same as the others.
- Finally, the instructions for using TotalMessage are sometimes not clear enough. It took me a bit of trial and error to find out how to customize the headers. I'm still wondering whether there is an option of setting the aligment (right or left) for each header in the header pane or not.

Thanks!
alta88

Post by alta88 »

city_zen wrote:- Could the Attachments Toolbar also have an option of placing it ON TOP, between the headers and the message? That's the way Outlook, Pocomail/Barca, Mulberry and probably most other email clients do it, and that's the way I find most intuitive. I had to customize my userChrome.css and my userChrome.xml with bindings to be able to have attachments on top in Thunderbird. It'd be wonderful if TotalMessage gave us that option.

sorry, that's a wontfix.
- Could the "actions line" (for lack of a better term) of the Attachments Toolbar be made toggle-able? I find it too large to be displayed constantly over (or below, if my "attachments-on-top" wish comes true) the attachments.

View->Toolbars->Attachment Toolbar
- This is maybe a bug, or maybe my mistake, but I thought I'd report it here: when I add a custom name for a header on the "Display Name Override" column, the name doesn't show. The cell stays blank, however, the name override sticks and the header is shown in the header pane with the custom name. I hope I was able to explain it clearly.

that's a bug that's been fixed in the next version for a while, i just haven't released it yet.
- Two minor cosmetic issues: the splitter between the headers and the message is too thick. A simple line would look better IMHO.

you missed the Border box in Customize Headers?
And also the first line of the headers is slightly larger than the other lines. This may be because of the need of adding button on the right side of that line, but perhaps that line can be made to look the same as the others.

true for certain font sizes. it was exceedingly hard to get the first line this close given numerous requirements.. 18 wfm.
- Finally, the instructions for using TotalMessage are sometimes not clear enough. It took me a bit of trial and error to find out how to customize the headers. I'm still wondering whether there is an option of setting the aligment (right or left) for each header in the header pane or not.

i'm sure no one has ever stated doc is clear enough in the history of software. plus, i'm not sure you read the doc on the homepage thoroughly anyway ;). this is an ultra poweruser extension, for people who can tell 1px differences and can click around and figure it out. (there is only left alignment and no bidi support).
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Thanks for the quick reply.

alta88 wrote:
city_zen wrote:- Could the Attachments Toolbar also have an option of placing it ON TOP, between the headers and the message? That's the way Outlook, Pocomail/Barca, Mulberry and probably most other email clients do it, and that's the way I find most intuitive. I had to customize my userChrome.css and my userChrome.xml with bindings to be able to have attachments on top in Thunderbird. It'd be wonderful if TotalMessage gave us that option.

sorry, that's a wontfix.

Ok, I guess it'd be, but I thought I'd ask anyway :) Even if it's not a feature of TotalMessage, would it be possible to do it via css customizations and bindings, as I'm currently doing?

View->Toolbars->Attachment Toolbar

Oh, I see, I thought the "Attachments Toolbar" was the whole thing, not just the top line. My bad.

- Two minor cosmetic issues: the splitter between the headers and the message is too thick. A simple line would look better IMHO.

you missed the Border box in Customize Headers?

Do I sense some irony in your reply? :D I guess I thought of it as a splitter rather than a border, that's why I missed that box.

i'm sure no one has ever stated doc is clear enough in the history of software. plus, i'm not sure you read the doc on the homepage thoroughly anyway ;). this is an ultra poweruser extension, for people who can tell 1px differences and can click around and figure it out. (there is only left alignment and no bidi support).

I wasn't criticizing you, or at least I didn't mean to. Sorry if you perceived it that way. The documentation for TotalMessage is actually very good, particularly when comparing it to the documentation of most other add-ons. And yes, I should have read it twice. But I don't agree that this extension should be just for ultrapower users. In fact, this should replace the current message reader pane for all Thunderbird users in the future. I hope it does, it's certainly a much easier way of customizing it than looking at CSS rules with DOM inspector.

Anyway, thanks for developing it (and publishing, documenting and supporting it). I'm sure that many users will find it extremely useful.

One final question: where can I find the icons you used for contacts (the one that looks like a card) and for header toggling?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

1. it can't be done via css or (i assume you mean xbl) bindings. the entire message pane is replaced by an html page, with a number of iframes (which have borders rather than xul splitters), and embedded xul toolbars. there's nothing in software that can't be done, so if you figure out how to make the attachments iframe movable, i'd consider the patch.

2. the icons come from famfamfam.com.
city_zen

Post by city_zen »

1. Ok, I see. Unfortunately I don't know much about HTML design, so that's way beyond my capabilities. But maybe in the future someone else with the same needs and a better skillset than me can tackle the issue. Thanks for the explanation, anyway.

2. Great icons! I didn't know about famfamfam.com. Thanks for pointing me to them
Dominik_K

Inbox: Column Preferences overwritten

Post by Dominik_K »

Hi Marc,

thanks for your useful extension. I like to use it mainly because of the thread customization feature which many users like have it in TB [1]. (In the bug report, Ken Weigold mentioned that this extension does not work on OS X).

I got a more confusing problem:
The column preferences are changed when I activate the Total Message extension. Some columns, e.g. attachments, read/unread, are shown which I had disabled before. Also the text "Inbox", which is my starting folder, is not shown in the tab after I started Thunderbird. Only going to another folder and switching back will show the title (in the tab).
Here's the corresponding terminal output:

Code: Select all

``` EXCEPTION DURING NOTIFY: chrome://totalmessage/content/messengerOverlay.js:570: TypeError: GetMessageBrowser(...) is null
STACK: MessageDisplayWidget_updateActiveMessagePane@chrome://totalmessage/content/messengerOverlay.js:570
MessageDisplayWidget_makeActive@chrome://messenger/content/messageDisplay.js:430
FolderDisplayWidget_makeActive@chrome://messenger/content/folderDisplay.js:1639
FolderDisplayWidget_onDisplayingFolder@chrome://messenger/content/folderDisplay.js:990
DBViewWrapper__enterFolder@resource:///modules/dbViewWrapper.js:1132
DBViewWrapper__folderLoaded@resource:///modules/dbViewWrapper.js:1109
FolderNotificationHelper_OnItemEvent@resource:///modules/dbViewWrapper.js:217
FolderNotificationHelper_notifyOnLoad@resource:///modules/dbViewWrapper.js:98
DBViewWrapper_open@resource:///modules/dbViewWrapper.js:799
FolderDisplayWidget_show@chrome://messenger/content/folderDisplay.js:730
FolderPaneSelectionChange@chrome://messenger/content/commandglue.js:343
onselect@chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul:1
ftv_selectFolder@chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js:379
mailTabType.modes.folder.restoreTab@chrome://messenger/content/mailTabs.js:217
restoreTab@chrome://messenger/content/tabmail.xml:983
restoreTabs@chrome://messenger/content/tabmail.xml:1007
atStartupRestoreTabs@chrome://messenger/content/msgMail3PaneWindow.js:659
loadStartFolder@chrome://messenger/content/msgMail3PaneWindow.js:754

Cheers,

Dominik

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36024
Dominik_K

Post by Dominik_K »

Sorry, I forgot to mention my system: Thunderbird 17.0.2 (as an Ubuntu 12.04.1 package) with Total Message 1.2
alta88

Post by alta88 »

yes, if the TM frame doc isn't loaded/ready yet there will be an error on the start page. some other things may not run, including restoring column prefs and tab title. to be fixed..

not much to go on regarding the Mac report. it's possible/likely it needs css specific to the platform, but i don't have one to test. if someone with a Mac wants to get into the details, that would help.