End of Firefox Support for Windows 2000

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Astrophizz

Re: End of Firefox Support for Windows 2000

Post by Astrophizz »

Yeah I know that 11.5 wasn't going to support Win2k but then at some point they decided to support it. I remember there was an NT4 user who wasn't happy when they dropped support for that.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Astrophizz wrote:I remember there was an NT4 user who wasn't happy when they dropped support for that.

To be fair, that one guy probably represented 5% of Opera's userbase. :-"
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Whenever support is dropped for an OS there will be some users who are pissed. That's life. Support has got to end some time.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'm running a W2K machine at work. Despite the official status of W2K as unsupported, it regularly receives security updates for IE6, .NET, WMP and a few other things. In fact, I just got two for .NET last week. Definitely not the same as getting full system security updates, but when people claim it's "unsupported" that isn't 100% true.

And yes, I'm sure there will be whiners, but people who have the option to upgrade and don't are in an entirely different class from people who cannot choose to upgrade because of their work environment. Saying that these users switch to Opera doesn't really help considering that XUL apps they may need to use for their business will only run in Firefox. Maybe bad call in building XUL apps for work environment, but there was a time not incredibly long ago when Mozilla was pushing XUL apps as the wave of the future.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I'm running a W2K machine at work. Despite the official status of W2K as unsupported, it regularly receives security updates for IE6, .NET, WMP and a few other things.

In fact, I just got two for .NET last week. Definitely not the same as getting full system security updates, but when people claim it's "unsupported" that isn't 100% true.

I didn't know that. So when MS says end of life this just means that the core OS doesn't receive updates right?

And yes, I'm sure there will be whiners, but people who have the option to upgrade and don't are in an entirely different class from people who cannot choose to upgrade because of their work environment. Saying that these users switch to Opera doesn't really help

It may not help all users but it may help some users so it's still worth mentioning isn't it? E.g., they're stuck on Win2k and they just want a still-supported modern browser that will work.

But whether people choose to stick with an old product or are forced to there will come a point when vendors drop support. Not much that can be done about that.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote: Saying that these users switch to Opera doesn't really help

Well, this is Asa saying this. The same guy whose sole contributions to Firefox for the first 10+ years was to #1. Grow a neck beard #2. Argue endlessly with Opera users on his blog #3. Make outrageous statements whenever the mood took him #4. Do 'Ra Ra' conventions to poor saps in Brazil #5. Suggest Firefox users use the Bing search engine and then retract it. #6. Act as 'enforcer' on Google group discussions for any silly Mozilla ideas and #7. Push the doughnut and coffee trolley around at Mozilla.

Now, I know a lot of good people have now left Mozilla, but does this really sound like the ideal CV for a guy to head the Desktop side of Firefox? Should anyone really be that surprised that his sole tactic when faced with any complex problem, such as the Enterprise one and now this, is to fall back on a 'Let Them Eat Cake! We don't need them!' type solution?

Charities often do this - give priority to long time servers. I suppose without the commercial pressures of business, they can afford (via 'donations') to take anyone. Just lucky for Firefox users that one of the descendants of Washoe the gorilla didn't start at the same time as Asa, or he would by now, no doubt, head the Mobile division.
Last edited by Frank Lion on February 11th, 2012, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Kevin McFarlane wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:I'm running a W2K machine at work. Despite the official status of W2K as unsupported, it regularly receives security updates for IE6, .NET, WMP and a few other things.

In fact, I just got two for .NET last week. Definitely not the same as getting full system security updates, but when people claim it's "unsupported" that isn't 100% true.

I didn't know that. So when MS says end of life this just means that the core OS doesn't receive updates right?

I think that's the gist of it. Of course eventually all of the still-supported technologies will be phased out as well. But Microsoft once claimed that March of 2010 would be the end of support for IE6, but the security updates keep coming... although much fewer and further between.

Well Frank, we all know one size fits all right?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Frank Lion wrote:(to prevent US posters reaching for their inhalers at the degree of honesty in this post, I will soften the blow by now doing one of their 'get out of jail free' last paragraphs)

I don't think anyone around here is going to loose their mind over an Asa rant.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Omega X wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:(to prevent US posters reaching for their inhalers at the degree of honesty in this post, I will soften the blow by now doing one of their 'get out of jail free' last paragraphs)

I don't think anyone around here is going to loose their mind over an Asa rant.

Yep, reckon so.

Having said that, if I do spot anyone with a recently lost mind or even a loosened one, I'll send them your way and you can deal with them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Tell ASA DOTZLER this from the MSFN.org board:

[quote name='blackwingcat' timestamp='1333106276' post='993891']

I released[url]http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1452362.html"]Windows 9x / 2000 Library for VC++2010.[/url] before.
If you compile with this library on VC++2010 , your program does not only work on Windows 2000 but also Windows 95/98/Me ! :)
patrickjdempsey

Well instead of posting it to MSFN (whatever the heck that is) or MozillaZine, why not file a bug on BugZilla?
Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

patrickjdumbsey wrote:Well instead of posting it to MSFN (whatever the heck that is) or MozillaZine, why not file a bug on BugZilla?

Anyone who uses Windows should know what MSFN is, or they're simply not informed.

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/35-windows-nt420002003/

up one level for all MS products, up two for board index.

Plus, if you tried, there is no direct way to contact anyone at Mozilla.
Just a run-around on the feedback pages.
Last edited by Lone Browncoat on April 2nd, 2012, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

In other words your too lazy to file a bug
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

That's 'you're'

and I have before coming into here.
The problem is their use of MS VC++ 2010.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lone Browncoat wrote:Anyone who uses Windows should know what MSFN is, or they're simply not informed.

Informed about what? MSFN stands for Manned Space Flight Network.

Lone Browncoat wrote:Plus, if you tried, there is no direct way to contact anyone at Mozilla.

Apart from the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of this page, you mean? -- http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/