Thunderbird not responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ledever3

Thunderbird not responding

Post by ledever3 »

My computer just installed the latest Thunderbird update, and now does not respond. The program starts, and downloads mail, but when I click on the mail to read, or go to a folder, nothing happens. It just says - Not Responding. It usually allows me to close out.

Interestingly, it does work for a few seconds when it first starts. Then slows to the point of doing nothing within 30 seconds.

How do I fix?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird not responding

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Irenabyss

Post by Irenabyss »

Same problem and starting in safe mode also works for a few seconds then also reports not responding
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=996475&p=5239885#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
Irenabyss

Post by Irenabyss »

Thanks for the fast reply. It didn't work however. Still hangs at 'Looking For Folders' or 'Opening Folder Inbox' All the mail including the most recent live emails display. Is there any other way out of this?
Irenabyss

Post by Irenabyss »

Just discovered that it works in Offline mode. I will try it again in a few hours in case this is a problem with Thunderbird looking up my mail server. Will post if this is the case.
Irenabyss

Post by Irenabyss »

Unfortunately still not working. I can access all mail in offline mode but it crashes when looking for mail.
This is the first problem I have ever had after several years of thunderbird.
Windows 7 (with all updates). This all started with the latest thunderbird update.
Jes Smith

Post by Jes Smith »

I am having the same problem since Thunderbird updated to v. 10.0.2

In Microsoft Vista

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: thunderbird.exe
Application Version: 10.0.2.4429
Application Timestamp: 4f3cfb22
Hang Signature: e5fd
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 681df1085a2ed95399c5763b87af97c4
Additional Hang Signature 2: 8ccd
Additional Hang Signature 3: 90555eb11e275269b36ea4065cfb45f4
Additional Hang Signature 4: e5fd
Additional Hang Signature 5: 681df1085a2ed95399c5763b87af97c4
Additional Hang Signature 6: 8ccd
Additional Hang Signature 7: 90555eb11e275269b36ea4065cfb45f4
Jes Smith

Post by Jes Smith »

I opened Thunderbird and left it running for about an hour and it worked OK. I read in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2427611 that it indexed your mailboxes for while. No problems since.
Rob E

Post by Rob E »

I had the same prob opened it up and it hangs after a few seconds...it did this three times then I came here.

After reading about people saying TB is adding messages to the search thing I opened it back up and went to Tools-Advanced- then unclicked Enable Global Search and Indexer.

Now it's working fine.
mswitch

Post by mswitch »

Hello Thunderbird-Users,

i have the same Problem (Thunderbird Version 11.0, Windows 7).
I use a new installation of Thunderbird with 3 existing IMAP Mailaccounts.
I tried all the hints (used the SafeMode, stopped Antivirus from acessing the Profile-Folder, stopped Indexing) but was not successful.
Thunderbird hangs with AppHangB1 after some minutes (up to 15) and seems ok after a restart. No logfiles, no entry in the error console.

Greetings

Post by Guest »

mswitch wrote:Hello Thunderbird-Users,

i have the same Problem (Thunderbird Version 11.0, Windows 7).
I use a new installation of Thunderbird with 3 existing IMAP Mailaccounts.
I tried all the hints (used the SafeMode, stopped Antivirus from acessing the Profile-Folder, stopped Indexing) but was not successful.
Thunderbird hangs with AppHangB1 after some minutes (up to 15) and seems ok after a restart. No logfiles, no entry in the error console.

Greetings

I have exactly the same problem hoping for a patch
sharivari

Post by sharivari »

Hi all,

in some other posts I read that switching off indexing would help and that the MSF files are indexes that will be created automatically when opening the folder.

There's always a pair of <folder>.msf and <folder> file without extension.

I just deleted the .msf files (after full backup!) and they have been rebuilt when opening the folder again. TB stopped freezing.

Seems some corrupt index caused my TB 13.0.1 to hang

Regards
Holger
James

Post by James »

holagundas this was a Guest thread and from two years ago. I splitted your post off as a new thread. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2838839