"Inspect Element (Q)"???

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
pfaoro

"Inspect Element (Q)"???

Post by pfaoro »

What is "Inspect Element (Q)" in Firefox 10.0.1?

Can I block it or turn it off as just one more needless - in my opinion - "gizmo"?
smsmith

Re: "Inspect Element (Q)"???

Post by smsmith »

Is this an entry in the Web Developer menu? If so, that's a tool to allow web developers to figure out what a particular element is on a webpage and determine what is making it look like that. There might be an extension that allows you to hide specific menu entries, or you can hide it with some userChrome hack.

Edit... Ah, I see it now. In the right click on the page context menu...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
pfaoro

Post by pfaoro »

Did I post to the wrong forum? I just have a native dislike for things I don't need, didn't request, don't understand, don't want, and would like to at least disable it as an unnecessary nuisance.

My Web Developer days are long, long past...

P.S. Any help would have to be in non-techie terms, or I guarantee I won't understand whatever I'm told. Being old and increasingly stupid is a growing problem for me :oops:
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Where are you seeing reference to "Inspect Element (Q)"? That might help us understand what you are asking about.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

pfaoro wrote:Did I post to the wrong forum?

You did fine...

P.S. Any help would have to be in non-techie terms, or I guarantee I won't understand whatever I'm told. Being old and increasingly stupid is a growing problem for me :oops:

I can't guarantee non-techie, but I'll do the best I can to make it understandable. :D

You can use this code snippet as part of a userStyle in Stylish (recommended) or as part of a userChrome.css file.

Code: Select all

#appmenu_pageInspect, #context-inspect {
  display: none ! important;
}

I need a little more time to figure out how to remove the separator line before the menu item you want to remove.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... styleshome <-- Stylish
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css <-- userChrome help
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

DanRaisch wrote:Where are you seeing reference to "Inspect Element (Q)"? That might help us understand what you are asking about.

Right click the page, Dan. Bottom menu entry.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Ok, this seems to work, but it's an ugly hack because it requires that View Page Info be the item directly preceding Inspect Element. I'm not good a finding some of these types of things, so hopefully somebody else stumbles in here and finds a better way.

#appmenu_pageInspect, #context-inspect, #context-viewinfo + menuseparator {
  display: none ! important;
}

The above hides the item in the right click context menu and in the Web Developer menu in the Firefox button.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, great, Sean. Now how do I get rid of it?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Or just go to about:config and flip devtools.inspector.enabled to false? (Might require a restart)

EDIT: And if you filter for "devtools", you could probably turn off other things that you'll never see and never knew you never wanted to never see.
pfaoro

Post by pfaoro »

I'm at a different computer now (running my beloved 5.0) so all I can say is it is something on the Tools menu of 10.0. I won't be at that machine again for hours, if not tomorrow, but all the kind help that's been offered has been far beyond my capabilities (config and flip devtools.inspector.enabled) are total Greek to me and I'm beginning to think it's just one more of those things I'll need to learn to live with. There are many such things in my life... and they're beginning to multiply...
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

In the address bar, type in

about:config

And press the enter key. On the page that loads, type in

devtools.inspector.enabled

Into the "filter" box. In the list below, doubleclick the part that says "devtools.inspector.enabled" to set it to "false". Then restart Firefox, and it should go away.
morat

Post by morat »

You can also change the access key for the "Inspect Element (Q)" context menu item.

1. tools > web developer > error console
2. paste code in text field
3. click evaluate

top.opener.document.getElementById("context-inspect").setAttribute("accesskey", "I");
top.opener.document.persist("context-inspect", "accesskey");

Why use Q as the access key?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

KWierso wrote:Or just go to about:config and flip devtools.inspector.enabled to false? (Might require a restart)

EDIT: And if you filter for "devtools", you could probably turn off other things that you'll never see and never knew you never wanted to never see.

Oh sure, the easy way. :P
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If you are curious as to which entries to set to disable the current Web Developer suite:

devtools.inspector.enabled: false
devtools.scratchpad.enabled: false
devtools.webconsole.position: (remove the entry and leave it blank)

Note that more will be coming in future versions. You will still need to manually clean up the menu separator for the Inspect Q context menu because Firefox doesn't.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Will there be any perceptible "gain" by turning off devtools?