How do I use Thunderbird without email?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Sunbird_User

How do I use Thunderbird without email?

Post by Sunbird_User »

Hello,
I used to be a Sunbird user, but since it's no longer supported, I decided to try Thunderbird + Lightning. I want to make it clear that the ONLY thing I want is the calendar from Lightning. That part works fine. But every time I start Thunderbird, it asks for me to set up the email account. Hitting cancel works fine, but I would rather not have it do that, as I would like it to auto-start with Windows, and run minimized to tab the entire time. Having to click cancel every single time it loads would be very bothersome, and if that's the case, I'll just go back to Sunbird. But I figured I would ask if it's possible before giving up.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit Professional. Just downloaded Thunderbird today, so I have the latest version....

Thank you.
ya o

Re: How do I use Thunderbird without email?

Post by ya o »

setup TB as a normal user would, then deSelect the options to Check for new messages

Post by Guest »

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, could you explain where this option is? I don't see it in any of the menus.

Post by Guest »

in Thunderbird's Menu bar, click Tools
click Account Settings
in the left panel, click Server Settings

in the right panel, uncheck [ _ ] Check .......... startup
in the right panel, uncheck [ _ ] Check .......... minutes
Sunbird_User

Post by Sunbird_User »

Erm, I don't have those settings. Everything is blank, and I don't seem to be able to enter in a fake account.

Post by Guest »

I think you have to use an actual account
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The preceding posts advice assumed you had created a dummy POP account. That is why you can't find the menu commands.

Create a dummy POP account using the new account wizard by entering a bogus email address and password for hotmail in the first window, and then press the "manual setup" button in the second window. That aborts it verifying whether the username/password is good and creates the account using whatever information it has.

Then edit the account settings using tools -> account settings -> hotmail -> server settings to disable it checking for new mail on startup, every X minutes etc.

The new account wizard should try to run every time you start Thunderbird if it can't detect any accounts. However, you can also use tools -> account settings -> accoutn actions -> "add mail account".
Sunbird_User

Post by Sunbird_User »

Thank you, that worked. Sadly, the main reason I was "upgrading" from Sunbird was because I was hoping it would minimize to tray. But none of the extensions that claim to do that actually worked. So since I need to have a third party application to minimize it, I might as well go for the minimal app, so I'm going to head back to Sunbird.

Thank you chaps for helping, and I'm sorry to have been a bother.
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

I, too, am using Thunderbird as a calendar (since Sunbird is dead).

However, having to add a mail account, even a dummy account, to get Thunderbird to stop prompting for an unwanted email account is just stupid.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Xenomorph wrote:I, too, am using Thunderbird as a calendar (since Sunbird is dead).

However, having to add a mail account, even a dummy account, to get Thunderbird to stop prompting for an unwanted email account is just stupid.

Help make Thunderbird better.

http://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/201 ... for-grabs/

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/UpForGrabs
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5