Firefox10-Vista:Checkbox"Form & Search History"/ClearAllHist

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jolin

Firefox10-Vista:Checkbox"Form & Search History"/ClearAllHist

Post by jolin »

Firefox 10.0.2 Vista-Home Basic Version 6.0 Build 6002: Service Pack 2:
Can't check box next to "Form & Search History" in "Clear All History" panel

Found this other post, where the moderator said to start a new topic:
cyrusfiction wrote:I'm having a different problem with the forms and history check box. It remains uncheckable. All the other boxes are can be checked with the exception of the forms and history box. I uninstalled Firefox then reinstalled it and it still cannot be checked for clearing. Box is there, you just can't check it.

Wondering if this is a bug:
I have the same problem while using Firefox 10.0.2 where clicking the check-box next to "Form & Search History" in "Clear All History" panel doesn't work. The "Form & Search History" box is currently unchecked and seems to be disabled for check & uncheck(ing) the box, since clicking on it does nothing. But other boxes within the "Clear All History" panel (Browsing & Download History, Cookies, Cache, Active Login, Site Preferences) can be clicked on to checked and unchecked them.

QUESTION 1:
What has to be done within or for the "Clear All History" panel in order for me to be able to check the box next to "Form & Search History"

QUESTION 2:
Should the box next to "Form & Search History" match in both the "Clear All History" panel and the "Settings for Clearing History" panel? Noticed the panel for "Settings for Clearing All History" shows all boxes are filled with check-marks for all options (History: Browsing History, Download History, Form & Search History, Cookies, Active Logins, Cache; Data: Saved Passwords, Site Preferences, Offline Website Data), but the box next to "Form & Search History within "Clear All History" panel isn't checked and clicking on the box does nothing—it doesn't check or uncheck it.

QUESTION 3:
Should a checked-box next to "Form & Search History" in the "Settings for Clearing All History" panel clear the text fields for all forms filled-in after a browser is opened following a reboot if the option "Keep until I close Firefox" is set under Options--Privacy?

QUESTION 4:
When I'm able to find out how to and do check-the-box next to "Form & Search History" in the "Clear All History" panel with "Everything" set under "Time Range to clear" and click the "Clear Now" button, should that "click of the 'Clear Now' button" remove all data that was entered or saved from text fields for all forms that I filled-in after I close the browser where I entered data into forms, reboot my PC, and open a new browser window if the option "Keep until I close Firefox" is set under Options--Privacy?

I want to make sure that anything filled into a form isn't saved. I have noticed that data (name, address, card, etc) that were filled into forms have been saved and are automatically inserted into new forms (even after I have already closed my browser and rebooted.)

Try this to see if the same occurs for you:
In the Privacy panel,
(make sure that the box is) UNCHECK next to "Remember search and form history"
Then view the "Clear All History" panel through the pull-down Tools-to "Clear All History"
Try to check or uncheck "Form & Search History"
[In my Firefox 10.0.2 "Clear All History" panel, the box next to "Form & Search History" cannot be checked or unchecked.]

OR

In the Privacy panel,
CHANGE Firefox will:
TO "Never remember history"
Then click on "clear all current history."
The "Clear All History" panel will popup.
CLICK ON the button to the left of "Details"
Try to check or uncheck "Form & Search History"
[In my Firefox 10.0.2 "Clear All History" panel, the box next to "Form & Search History" cannot be checked or unchecked.]

Then view your "Settings":
In the Privacy panel,
CHANGE Firefox will:
TO "Use custom settings for history"
CHECK the box next to "Clear history when Firefox closes"
which will enable you to CLICK ON the "Settings" button which is to the right of "Clear history when Firefox closes"
Jot down/print screen which or if all the boxes are checked within the "Settings for Clearing History" panel.
Within my Firefox 10.0.2 browser Options-Privacy. All boxes are checked, including "Form & Search History" within the Settings for Clearing History panel."
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox10-Vista:Checkbox"Form & Search History"/ClearAll

Post by dfoulkes »

Question 1
First, I don't use the "Clear recent his..." option but I started up my test profile which has only one extension in it and opened up that Menu-option and my selection box for your question-area was also not checked and un-checkable... but when I close that profile I have it set to clear all data via the settings in Options/Privacy... so, I think that's why I couldn't click the box... Anyway, while I was in my test profile (and that box wasn't active) I did one Google search and then went back to the Clear recent... area... now the box was active.

Also, are you browsing in Private mode because Firefox won't retain lots of stuff while in that mode.

I'll look at your other questions after I post this...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

QUESTION 4:
When I'm able to find out how to and do check-the-box next to "Form & Search History" in the "Clear All History" panel with "Everything" set under "Time Range to clear" and click the "Clear Now" button, should that "click of the 'Clear Now' button" remove all data that was entered or saved from text fields for all forms that I filled-in after I close the browser where I entered data into forms, reboot my PC, and open a new browser window if the option "Keep until I close Firefox" is set under Options--Privacy?

I would think that it should... since that's what it says it will do. If you have all boxes check in the clearing section in Options/Privacy and "Clear history when Firefox closes" and you close Firefox then all those items are cleared... but as you've noticed.. if you restart Firefox and go right to that Clear Recent his... that box won't be selected because there is no data... at least that's what it did on my test profile... until I did a search, then it became active... and I believe that when it becomes active and you check the box... it should remain active.

BTW... you don't have to reboot your comp. to clear any of that stuff out.
jolin

Post by jolin »

dfoulkes wrote:Question 1
First, I don't use the "Clear recent his..." option but I started up my test profile which has only one extension in it and opened up that Menu-option and my selection box for your question-area was also not checked and un-checkable... but when I close that profile I have it set to clear all data via the settings in Options/Privacy... so, I think that's why I couldn't click the box... Anyway, while I was in my test profile (and that box wasn't active) I did one Google search and then went back to the Clear recent... area... now the box was active.

Also, are you browsing in Private mode because Firefox won't retain lots of stuff while in that mode.

I'll look at your other questions after I post this...

Sorry, could you please elaborate (perhaps with steps) on how you were able to get "...the box...active"?
When you say "...but when I close that profile I have it set to clear all data via the settings in Options/Privacy..."
are you saying that you have the box-checked next to "Clear history when Firefox closes" I'm asking because I also have the box-checked next to "Clear history when Firefox closes" and I have all the optional boxes checked within the Setting button.
So, I'm hoping you can provide the steps you took to activate the box (make the box checkable) next to "Form & Search History" under Tools in the "Clear All History" panel.

Answer to your question: "...are you browsing in Private mode because Firefox won't retain lots of stuff while in that mode." is
I was trying different settings and trying to view them in different ways to see if/what I could possibly change to affect the box (to be checkable) next to "Form & Search History" under Tools in the "Clear All History" panel.

I'm worried that the data I've entered into text fields of forms have been retained, because the text fields of forms automatically fill-in with data (name, address, credit card, etc.) that I previously entered in other forms. And, I don't know how to clear the data out. And, I don't know if this is only a problem that I am experiencing or if anyone else is experiencing the uncheckable box next to "Form & Search History under Tools in the "Clear All History" panel (other than one person whose post I included in my initial post).
jolin

Post by jolin »

dfoulkes wrote:
QUESTION 4:

I would think that it should... since that's what it says it will do. If you have all boxes check in the clearing section in Options/Privacy and "Clear history when Firefox closes" and you close Firefox then all those items are cleared... but as you've noticed.. if you restart Firefox and go right to that Clear Recent his... that box won't be selected because there is no data... at least that's what it did on my test profile... until I did a search, then it became active... and I believe that when it becomes active and you check the box... it should remain active.

BTW... you don't have to reboot your comp. to clear any of that stuff out.

For some reason it didn't work for me--I did a search within google since it seems worked for you in activating the box next to "Form & Search History" but that didn't activate my box (didn't allow me to check) next to "Form & Search History under Tools in the "Clear All History" panel.
I also deleted data from text fields (that automatically filled in) and refilled-in data while in the Apple store website, but I still find the box is uncheckable.
[As I wrote, I rebooted my PC too, because I thought, perhaps, that would help. From what you know and what you posted to me, it doesn't make a difference if I reboot my PC.]
Any other thoughts on how I can clear out the data from forms I've previously filled in?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

First... my mention of how I had my "test" profile set up to test this for you is not the way I have my default profile set up... in that Test profile I have it set to remember everything and to accept all cookies... that is only for some testing and playing around that I do from time to time... BUT I also have that area set to Clear everything when Firefox closes. So, if I were to start Firefox with that Test profile right now it wouldn't have any records in it with respect to any of those fields... like browsing history/form filling etc. ... and if the first thing I did was to click on the Menu-Clear recent history thingy the Form stuff we've been talking about would not be active... because I don't have any history... and what I did right at that time was that I left that little window open, went up to the Google search, searched for something and then looked at that Clear window ... and now the line was active. Anyway, that's what my test was.

And, if in your default profile you "don't" have boxes checked (active) to (as an example) Remember search and form history you will never retain that data... thus, that line in Clear recent history will "never" be active... because you don't have any.

We can probable resolve your question better if you would post a pic of what your Options/Privacy screen looks like and then the Settings area for When Firefox closes...
See: Posting_a_screenshot_on_the_forum.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Use a compressed image format like .png or .jpg and please do not post large images that break the forum layout, use thumbnails instead or only post a link.
If you need a place to host a screenshot... Note the "Uploading for general use" section of the document.
jolin

Post by jolin »

dfoulkes wrote:First... my mention of how I had my "test" profile set up to test this for you is not the way I have my default profile set up... in that Test profile I have it set to remember everything and to accept all cookies... that is only for some testing and playing around that I do from time to time... BUT I also have that area set to Clear everything when Firefox closes. So, if I were to start Firefox with that Test profile right now it wouldn't have any records in it with respect to any of those fields... like browsing history/form filling etc. ... and if the first thing I did was to click on the Menu-Clear recent history thingy the Form stuff we've been talking about would not be active... because I don't have any history... and what I did right at that time was that I left that little window open, went up to the Google search, searched for something and then looked at that Clear window ... and now the line was active. Anyway, that's what my test was.

And, if in your default profile you "don't" have boxes checked (active) to (as an example) Remember search and form history you will never retain that data... thus, that line in Clear recent history will "never" be active... because you don't have any.

We can probable resolve your question better if you would post a pic of what your Options/Privacy screen looks like and then the Settings area for When Firefox closes...
See: Posting_a_screenshot_on_the_forum.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Use a compressed image format like .png or .jpg and please do not post large images that break the forum layout, use thumbnails instead or only post a link.
If you need a place to host a screenshot... Note the "Uploading for general use" section of the document.

Thanks for your help and time and helping me through this and explaining everything.

I don't know why it didn't work when I had boxes checked for
- Remember search and form history
- Accept cookies from sites
- Accept third party cookies, Keep until I close Firefox
- Clear history when Firefox closes.

But it did work (Forms & Search History now has a check mark-- Yaay!!! in the Clear Recent History panel) when I checked all boxes:
- Remember my browsing history,
- Remember my download history,
- Remember search and form history
- Accept cookies from sites
- Accept third party cookies, Keep until I close Firefox
- Clear history when Firefox closes

And it looks like the data that automatically filled in, isn't there any more. Hooray!!! dfoulkes: You are the best!!!

Thanks so much! You're the only one who took the time to respond and have been so patient. I appreciate you and your time!
Thanks dfoulkes!!!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah, I'm not sure why you couldn't check that box when you had Remember search and form history active in your main Options area... but, anyway, you got it going... and that's good.... maybe it ties in with Remember my browsing history since forms are usually associated with browsing?
You're the only one who took the time to respond and have been so patient.

What takes place around here is that "others" will look at these posts and "if" they can add anything to them that will point in the right and/or better direction, they will usually post with ideas ... but if we are on the right track then they leave it alone and go on to help others.

And, You're Welcome! :D