MozillaZine

Won't work after update [Mac]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Anjow

Post Posted January 29th, 2012, 7:00 am

I run OS X 10.7.2 and currently FF 6.0.2.

When I try to update to 7, 8, or 9, including when I copy my profile out, use Cleanapp, then install anew before copying the profile back in, the program becomes unusable because it won't load any new sites - only cached ones. I click on a bookmark for something I don't have cached and it apparently makes no effort to load, shows no error, just stays on the page I was on as though I'd never clicked it. The same is true if I enter something in the address bar.

If I create a new profile, it works fine (but I lose hundreds of bookmarks and saved form data). If I try and bulk copy my bookmarks or saved form data over the problem reoccurs and it becomes useless once more.

If I launch it via the terminal using:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

It works fine too (with my old profile with everything in it), but I can't launch it via its icon because the problem occurs. Running:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox

Launches it and it still has the problem.

Does anyone know why this could be? Am I stuck at 6.0.2 forever?

Eckard

Post Posted January 29th, 2012, 10:31 am

Anjow wrote:I run OS X 10.7.2 and currently FF 6.0.2.
... but I can't launch it via its icon because the problem occurs.

I assume that "icon" means the FF icon in the Dock.
What happens if you launch FF by double-clicking its icon in the /Applications/Internet folder?
Delete the "Firefox" folder in ~/Library/Caches, it will be rebuilt at FF startup.
What happens if you run FF in safe mode? (= extensions disabled -> press the Option key when starting FF)
If that doesn't help neither, I suggest to download a full copy of FF 9.0.1 from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
remove your actual version 6.0.2 and install FF 9 in your Internet folder, without moving around your FF profile folder(s).
Then launch FF 9 and tell us what happens.

Anjow

Post Posted January 29th, 2012, 11:06 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eckard wrote:
Anjow wrote:I run OS X 10.7.2 and currently FF 6.0.2.
... but I can't launch it via its icon because the problem occurs.

I assume that "icon" means the FF icon in the Dock.
What happens if you launch FF by double-clicking its icon in the /Applications/Internet folder?

This is the same story.

Eckard wrote:Delete the "Firefox" folder in ~/Library/Caches, it will be rebuilt at FF startup.
What happens if you run FF in safe mode? (= extensions disabled -> press the Option key when starting FF)

These are unfortunately the same story. It starts but won't load any sites.

Eckard wrote:If that doesn't help neither, I suggest to download a full copy of FF 9.0.1 from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
remove your actual version 6.0.2 and install FF 9 in your Internet folder, without moving around your FF profile folder(s).

Can you elaborate on what you mean by remove? Drag the icon to the trash? Or do you mean using something like CleanApp? If it's the latter, then it does work, but I've lost everything due to my profile being gone.

Eckard

Post Posted January 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Anjow wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

Eckard wrote:If that doesn't help neither, I suggest to download a full copy of FF 9.0.1 from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

Can you elaborate on what you mean by remove? Drag the icon to the trash? Or do you mean using something like CleanApp? If it's the latter, then it does work, but I've lost everything due to my profile being gone.

In your first post you wrote that you wrote
When I try to update to 7, 8, or 9, including when I copy my profile out, use Cleanapp, then install anew before copying the profile back in

so I wanted to say "no need to move your profile around when updating"! If you use Time Machine you always have a backup of your FF profile.
Remove your actual FF version = I should have said "trash it manually". Don't use CleanApp unless you want to uninstall an application definitively.
So, actually do you still have a profile (or several profiles) or did CleanApp delete it (them)?
Once again, download FF 9.0.1, trash FF 6.0.2, install FF 9.0.1, launch FF in your old profile if it still exists. Test whether your issue persists.
If you still can't load new sites, you'll have to create a new profile and test FF in the new profile. If it runs without problem, back up your old profile folder to your Desktop, then copy selected data from the old to the new profile:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Rec ... %20profile
Your old profile might be corrupted, so don't copy over all important data files in one step. FF shut down, copy files one by one or two by two, then restart FF to verify if it's ok.

EDIT: do you use AV software or a third party firewall?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

Anjow

Post Posted February 11th, 2012, 7:05 am

It took me a long time to get round to trying this, but I did as suggested - trashed FF.app, installed latest, created new profile, started copying things over. The first thing I copied over was places.sqlite and that broke it.

But it still works perfectly if I launch it via the terminal using firefox-bin.

This is crazy. I would love to know what is different about launching firefox-bin in the terminal that makes this work just fine.

Eckard

Post Posted February 11th, 2012, 9:00 am

If I've understood you right, your problem actually is still the same as in the beginning.
This is an issue I've never seen or heard about.

• After creating a new profile (without any extensions) for FF 10 and before copying back places.sqlite,
did you run it and try to load any new websites ?

• And did it work the same way if you started FF from its Dock icon?

• Did you test after removing the FF Dock icon and dragging a new one to the Dock?

If this doesn't help, try the following:
start FF in your old profile, open the Bookmarks library, export your bookmarks as a HTML file.
Shut down FF, drag the bookmarkbackup folder and all places.sqlite files from your new profile to your Desktop.
Move the bookmarks.html file to the new profile. Restart FF in the new profile and test.

• One more important question:
when you start FF via its Dock icon or via the Terminal command
does the application open directly or do you first get the Profile Manager window as in my screen shot?
In other words, have you checked or not "Don't ask at startup"?

Anjow

Post Posted February 15th, 2012, 2:00 pm

• After creating a new profile (without any extensions) for FF 10 and before copying back places.sqlite,
did you run it and try to load any new websites ?
- Yes, it was fine.

• And did it work the same way if you started FF from its Dock icon?
- Yes it did.

• Did you test after removing the FF Dock icon and dragging a new one to the Dock?
- When I trashed it I removed the dock icon, so yes.

If this doesn't help, try the following:
start FF in your old profile, open the Bookmarks library, export your bookmarks as a HTML file.
Shut down FF, drag the bookmarkbackup folder and all places.sqlite files from your new profile to your Desktop.
Move the bookmarks.html file to the new profile. Restart FF in the new profile and test.
- I tried this when I first had this problem, I seem to remember that when I import the bookmarks it reproduces the problem.

• One more important question:
when you start FF via its Dock icon or via the Terminal command
does the application open directly or do you first get the Profile Manager window as in my screen shot?
In other words, have you checked or not "Don't ask at startup"?
- It opens directly, without the profile manager - I have never changed the 'don't ask at startup' box, so I assume it was not checked to begin with.

These are for the benefit of anyone else who might have this problem - I have now moved to Chrome (which is using <1/4 the RAM...).

Eckard

Post Posted February 15th, 2012, 3:44 pm

You can always switch to another browser if you have a problem, but what if you get into trouble with the new one?
Switch to the next one?
Your issue with FF seems to be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite file and that's why I proposed to save it as a bookmarks.html file and try again with the bookmarks.html file copied into the new profile to circumvent the problem with a damaged places.sqlite!
Having an old and a new (test) profile, how did you decide or know which of the two profile you were going to use without launching FF via the Profile Manager, since obviously the box "don't ask at startup" was checked . Otherwise you would have seen the PM window at each FF startup.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_dam ... ces.sqlite

RobertJ

Post Posted February 15th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Anjow wrote:These are for the benefit of anyone else who might have this problem - I have now moved to Chrome (which is using <1/4 the RAM...).

That is simply not the case. I test both FF and Chrome on Mac 10.7.3 and after clearing the caches for the same web sites with the same number of tabs with no FF add-ons RAM usage is essentially the same. I test with no FF add-ons since Chrome has almost no useful add-ons. Both my FF and Chrome test profiles use nothing but the default official releases of each browser.

Eckard also makes a good point. Without using the profile manager to launch it is questionable you actually know what profile you are running.

FF 83.0 - FF 84b4 - FF 85a - TB 78.5 - Mac OSX 10.13.6

Eckard

Post Posted February 28th, 2012, 12:10 pm

@Anjow,
you may still try a workaround for your unresponsive FF copy, since it works normally when you launch it from Terminal with the command including firefox-bin
Yo can do this by creating an Apple script.
• FF shut down, open the AppleScript Editor.app (Applications/Utilities/..)
• Copy and paste the following code in the editor window (if your old working profile has another name than default replace default by the name of your profile):

Code: Select all
do shell script "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P \"default\" -no-remote &> /dev/null &"

• Then click on the "Execute" button in the editor window, FF will be launched, test browsing.
• If browsing is OK, go to -> File -> Save as.. in the Apple Script menu, give it a name, choose "Application" as file format and save the script.
Now you should be able to launch a correctly working FF copy from this helper script instead of starting FF from its icon or via the profile manager by using the command in Terminal.

Return to Firefox Support