Enhanced Bookmark Search 0.1.4.04 UPDATED (Feb 25)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
AnonEmoose

Enhanced Bookmark Search 0.1.4.04 UPDATED (Feb 25)

Post by AnonEmoose »

You know the story... FireFox's Bookmark's searching sux... Well fret no more. Enhanced Bookmark Search extension allows you to search your bookmarks via name, location, description or keyword. (<a href="#Download"> Downloads locations & credits below</a> )

Updated Feb 25, 2006 (version 0.1.4.04) (Minor Update) Homepage
- ADDED: English only version
- ADDED: Auto-add toolbarbutton on first restart
- ADDED: zh-CN locale by Firewire (Chinese (Simplified)
- ADDED: pt-BR locale by fetofs (Portuguese (Brazilian)

Updated Dec 4, 2005 (version 0.1.4.03) Homepage
-ADDED: hidden pref to use the old icon (bcpm.Icon.OldStyle set to true)
an outgrowth of this post, quite a few others asked as well
-ADDED: ru-RU locale by Quicksilver tears/Vlad2000Plus (Russian Translation)
-ADDED: streamlined some javascript

Updated Sept 17, 2005 (version 0.1.4.00) Homepage
CHANGED: Button icon images (courtesy of ReinekeFux)
ADDED: Additional search parameters available alongside the FireFox 'search' textbox (Bookmarks Manager)
ADDED: Additional search parameters available for 'search' textbox (Bookmarks SideBar)
ADDED: If search parameter is changed AND searchbox has text, results auto-update (no need to retype)
ADDED: es-ES by Proyecto Nave
ADDED: de-DE by ReinekeFux
ADDED: fr-FR from babelZilla unknown
submit locales (translations) to http://wwww.babelzilla.org

Updated June 24, 2005 (version 0.1.3.02)
## Minor changes. Update only if you want to.... ##
- Updated for rv1.8x change to addBookmark dialog
- Updated searchbox encoding

Updated May 10, 2005 (version 0.1.3.01)
- Minor visual cosmetic change. Update only if you want to....

Updated May 1, 2005 (version 0.1.3.00)
- Single Window Mode (reuses bookmarks manager window)
- *Setting for Prefilling textbox with last search. (thanx to akahige for the suggestion to include this) *useful for flipping back & forth from searching and locating/editing bookmarks. See note below
- Code clean up

NOTE:
Workaround for FireFox's bug 255255 [fixed in DeerPark] (unable to edit/move/delete bookmarks after a search) and bug 196509 (which Folder is the Bookmark in)
1. Install "Locate in Bookmark Folders" extension
2. After search is complete highlight the bookmark and click the "locate"
toolbarbutton
3. Once the Folder in which the Bookmark resides is located the you can
edit/cut/copy/move/paste the bookmark to your hearts content.....

Updated Jan 28, 2005 (version 0.1.2.00)
- Added Toolbarbutton (menutype) to Bookmarks window
- Added optional Toolbarbutton (menutype) to Browser window
- MiddleClicking the button will open Bookmarks Manager
- Reactivated ability to save searches (utilizes Mozilla's litttle known feature called SmartFind see description below)
- Keyboard shortcut see my post HERE

Note: SmartFind bookmarks are bookmarks which act like a folder (sort of like Livemarks). They contain (well, a reference to bookmarks which match your search criteria). Once added they dynamically update with your results.
For those who wish to hide the dropmarker & menu (since it takes up more space)
add the following to your userChrome.css

Code: Select all

/*Hide EBS dropmarker in browser view*/
#EBS-button-browser > dropmarker { display: none !important; }
/*Hide EBS dropmarker in Bookmarks Manager view*/
toolbarbutton#EBS-button > dropmarker { display: none !important; }

Initial Release: Jan 23, 2005 (version 0.1.0.00)
- Search by Title, Location, description or keyword including more subsets
(contains, starts/ends with, is/is not, doesn't contain)
- Adds a Menu Option Under the Main Browser Bookmarks Menu called Search Bookmarks..
- Traditional Chinese locale by Willy Young (kingsmile) - THANKS!!
- TODO: Add ToolbarButton to the Bookmarks Manager's toolbar (next release).

<a name="Download"></a>
CURRENT VERSION
Install v0.1.4.00 (Latest) Version <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/494/">Enhanced Bookmark Search </a> or <a href="http://snipurl.com/AnonEmooseFF">Homepage</a>
Note: UMO may take longer to list the new version

OLDER VERSION(S)
Older Versions <a href="http://snipurl.com/AnonEmooseFF/ebs.html#Older_Versions">Enhanced Bookmark Search </a> OR <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/494/history/">HERE </a>

<del> Note: Firefox bug 255255 and bug 263783 applies. SO items in the search result window are not editable or can't be deleted like they should be. If you see a Javascript error in the console it is because of this bug. It is a bug with FireFox NOT the extension. This bug is present with the FF's default search filter as well</del> see note by version 0.1.3.00

Misc Backround
Basically ripped out the original files from comm.jar, communicator.jar from Mozilla Suite & Netscape and modified to work independently.

Credits
To the many Extension developers whose work i shamelessly inspected and sometimes (often) copied (including new XPI installation). Some are listed below
Leech (Simon Windmill)
ShowfailedURL (pike)
tbx (clav)
AdBlock/SessionSaver.02d (rue)
TTLO2 (cdn)
Context Search (Cusser)
UndoClosedTab (Dorando)
Henrik Gemal
MonkeeSage
ChuOnThis
Wallace Poon
Dan Yamaoka

and of course the original/current Netscape/Mozilla/FireFox development team including
Ben Goodger
Last edited by AnonEmoose on April 9th, 2006, 2:14 pm, edited 17 times in total.
wong888

Post by wong888 »

ImageImageImage

omg thank you. finally, i can seach the bookmark properly.
cant afford a sig.
doeddeldom

Post by doeddeldom »

Thanks, great! Cant wait til it is integrated in the bookmark sidebar. On the way to satisfy some of the Powermarks users :)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

doeddeldom wrote:Thanks, great! Cant wait til it is integrated in the bookmark sidebar. On the way to satisfy some of the Powermarks users :)
I don't know really where to put it in the sidebar view. I'm not sure that can be done in the bookmarks sidebar unless I add it to the right-click context menu, since in SideBar view selecting/left-clicking loads the bookmark right away.
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

I like it just the way it is.
Thanks.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
Christian-79

Feature Request

Post by Christian-79 »

Thanks for this helpful extension!

1. In the Bookmark Search Results add a column "Folder" that shows the Folder, where the bookmark is stored. Example: "Mozilla Software\Firefox\Extensions" or s. th. like that. Would be a very nice feature. Has been requested often.

2. Possibility to search for folder: "Find Bookmarks whose _folder_ contains ..."

3. In the Bookmark Search Results: Possibility to show Properties, Delete and Rename. (Or show this buttons in grey.)

Regards

Christian
wong888

Post by wong888 »

1 request: search for "name or location" option.
cant afford a sig.
doeddeldom

Post by doeddeldom »

AnonEmoose wrote:
doeddeldom wrote:Thanks, great! Cant wait til it is integrated in the bookmark sidebar. On the way to satisfy some of the Powermarks users :)
I don't know really where to put it in the sidebar view. I'm not sure that can be done in the bookmarks sidebar unless I add it to the right-click context menu, since in SideBar view selecting/left-clicking loads the bookmark right away.

Well then replace the Bookmark Sidebar with a new one! Like the "Enhanced History Sidebar". Well i am no programmer or extension developer, so i dont know how much work this is.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Christian-79 wrote:Thanks for this helpful extension!

1. In the Bookmark Search Results add a column "Folder" that shows the Folder, where the bookmark is stored. Example: "Mozilla Software\Firefox\Extensions" or s. th. like that. Would be a very nice feature. Has been requested often.

2. Possibility to search for folder: "Find Bookmarks whose _folder_ contains ..."

3. In the Bookmark Search Results: Possibility to show Properties, Delete and Rename. (Or show this buttons in grey.)

Regards

Christian

1. Bug/RFE in FireFox itself (and beyond my capability to address)
bug 196509

2. I think that also was a bug/rfe in FireFox
bug 196509

3. Bug in FireFox as noted on the first post
Note: Firefox bug 255255 and bug 263783 applies. SO items in the search result window are not editable or can't be deleted like they should be. If you see a Javascript error in the console it is because of this bug. It is a bug with FireFox NOT the extension. This bug is present with the FF's default search filter as well

wong888 wrote:1 request: search for "name or location" option.
If I remember correctly... that is also a bug/rfe in FireFox itself (rdf resources)

doeddeldom wrote:Well then replace the Bookmark Sidebar with a new one! Like the "Enhanced History Sidebar".
Lol .. that's unlikely since the the olny added functionality would be searching.. The Bookmarks Manager in both Mozilla & FireFox are extremely similar (except forsearching). Unlike Bookmarks, the History Manager doesn't exist in FireFox (only in Mozilla) -- thus my other extension Enhanced History Manager

Edited: UPDATED with the specific bug information
Last edited by AnonEmoose on January 25th, 2005, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

wOOT! :D
Best thing about it is that there's finally a way to make Firefox display all bookmarks that have a keyword assigned ("Keyword doesn't contain <space>"). Thanks a lot for that!

Nearly all my possible feature requests have already been mentioned by Christian-79 (show folder-position and edit properties; too pity they're not possible to implement) and doeddeldom (sidebar).

Some things left:
• Remember the last selection of the search field (don't fall back on "name contains...")
• Toolbar button

Anyway, thanks again.
doeddeldom

Post by doeddeldom »

Ok, instead of replacing the whole BM of Firefox, do someting like your EHM. An option to show the EBS in the sidebar would be great. Ok, i will wait and see what terrific options and functions 0.2.0.00 wil have. :)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

doeddeldom wrote:Ok, instead of replacing the whole BM of Firefox, do someting like your EHM. An option to show the EBS in the sidebar would be great. Ok, i will wait and see what terrific options and functions 0.2.0.00 wil have. :)
As i tried to explain before, EHM does, indeed, have it's own internal window.
Rebuilding a window for Bookmarks is not really worthwhile (imo) since it will add very little extra functionality (besides searching).

The same issue is with the sidebar... it would require rebuilding the FF's bookmark window (Using FF's own window would look absolutely FUGLY) and again it would offer hardly any new functionality..

Besides, until the FireFox Bookmark's Search Window bugs (mentioned in the prior posts) are fixed I'm hesitant to have much further development beyond adding a toolbarbutton.
All that said, I am open to suggestions.

Kitefighter wrote:wOOT! :D
Best thing about it is that there's finally a way to make Firefox display all bookmarks that have a keyword assigned ("Keyword doesn't contain <space>"). Thanks a lot for that!

Good Tip..

Kitefighter wrote:Some things left:
• Remember the last selection of the search field (don't fall back on "name contains...")
• Toolbar button

As for your requests....
• DONE
• DONE

Kitefighter (& anyone else who want to try it)
You can PREVIEW the toolbarbutton release <a href="http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/220358/FireFox/download.php?filename=Enhanced_Bookmark_Search_0.1.0.02.xpi">HERE</a>
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Excellent! Image

Another idea: in addition to the separate searches for name, location, description and keyword it would make sense to have a search that covers *all* of them.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Kitefighter wrote:Excellent! Image

Another idea: in addition to the separate searches for name, location, description and keyword it would make sense to have a search that covers *all* of them.
you've duped Yet another Bug/RFE request for Mozilla/FireFox ... lol
BTW another updated preview
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

I only get an error on the left bottom of the screen with the latest preview: